+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Request: Soul Training

Shadowlander

Default Request: Soul Training

This is a bit of a cross-post from zam here. Basically, learning how to play a new role is really hard, and acquiring new roles is really easy. My request is for a set of quests for each soul to teach a player who is new to the soul how to play it, and ease them into actually questing/grouping for the soul.

For example, the Justicar in the main city that gives you the quest to actually acquire his soul, upon putting points into the soul, will start giving you quests, teaching you about things like how conviction works, what the purpose of the Miens are, and why a tank is necessary in a group. It will give quests that have goals like "Protect the spellcasters using Mien of Leadership as they destroy the elites", or "heal the group through some damage using your doctrines", or "solo this big low damage mob by using a lot of doctrines to maintain yourself through the fight".

This would be extremely important for difficult to understand classes like chloromancer, bard, riftstalker, justicar, bladedancer, dominator, warlord ETC. who aren't just pure DPS.

Soulwalker

Love this post. If you don't mind, I'd like to talk about this on my podcast. Good stuff.
    Casey
    Player vs Rift Podcast
    playervsrift.com

Shadowlander

feel free. Sounds like great exposure for this idea. Let me know if you want any input from me, and feel free to post in that thread on ZAM.

If the above mentioned "training" took place in an instance with level appropriate Target dummies you could kill 2 birds with one stone.
    This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
    My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.
    My rifle, without me, is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will...

Shadowlander

Another Relevant post. sorry for double posting...

http://rift.zam.com/forum.html?forum...3656715&page=1

Rift Disciple

The idea is pretty neat, but I suspect it would be hell to implement.
    I could imagine some sort of instanced PvE arena, that consists of a generic team of 5 NPC's with the usual tank/healer/3 DPS configuration. You then replace one of them of your own choice (or based on your build), and face some waves of mobs.
    With a core mechanic like this in place, it would be possible to make encounters tailored for each soul, possibly with advanced sub-objectives (as dominator, use Transmogrify on the rdps, Accelerated Decay on the mdps and Priest's Lament on the healer).

Don't hold your breath though. The whole idea of an NPC matchup like this is something I've so far only seen in Guild Wars. Implementing it would likely be way too costly unless the mechanics were used for something beyond soul-introduction. It works for Guild Wars, because there's such a strong focus on PvP (practice vs. NPC lineup) and single player PvE (storyline with hired henchmen). Rift doesn't have the same focus though. I think you'll just have to find a group that'll put up with you noob'ing around with your new build.

I think it would be a great start to have some training dummies that weren't level 50+ though, so you could at least get a feel for rotations, chance-on-hit procs, etc.

Shadowlander

mirrored here: http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...-Soul-Training

all relevant discussion should now take place in that thread

Rift Master

Something like this was already in Lotro, when you had to do some class specific instances/encounters to gain skills items. It was great fun and challenge at times.

+ Reply to Thread