+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Switching from WoW! Need Class Advice!

Soulwalker

Default Switching from WoW! Need Class Advice!

Obviously this game is vastly different. Got it downloading on Steam, looked at the classes on the community website and.... 0_0"

Haha anyway, I'm looking for a class that can deal damage, preferably from afar, without the dependency of a pet like the Hunter in World of Warcraft. From what I surmise, this is the Marksman?

Secondary question (because I can't play just one class), which healing class can solo quest well and possibly deal some damage while still being able to go healer and help in a Player Versus Player environment?

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Kircic View Post
    Obviously this game is vastly different. Got it downloading on Steam, looked at the classes on the community website and.... 0_0"

Haha anyway, I'm looking for a class that can deal damage, preferably from afar, without the dependency of a pet like the Hunter in World of Warcraft. From what I surmise, this is the Marksman?

Secondary question (because I can't play just one class), which healing class can solo quest well and possibly deal some damage while still being able to go healer and help in a Player Versus Player environment?

you would probably be better off as a mage for ranged dps. rogue (which marksman and ranger fall under) are behind in pve dps, although there are changes coming in the next patch which is due early may. but currentyl there are no ranged rogue build that can compete with mages in pve.i dont play it, but some people say marks is pretty good in pvp, at least able to kite decently well.

the nb/mm/sin build is probably the best ranged non pet rogue build.

cleric is very nice as a damage/healer.
    Last edited by glutamine; 05-01-2011 at 07:17 AM.

You want to play a Mage. Chloro is a good single-target and AOE healer, Archon is great support, and Pyro and Stormcaller are excellent DPS.

Plane Walker

mage,

marksmen sucks through 90% of the game and is still gimped at 50. Unless you solely pvp its pointless.

Shadowlander

Mage is currently on the top end of dps with some viable options to dps without the use of pets (however some of the best builds do utilize deep elementalist for a pet). Mages are also the only class who can solo 5 stages of a rift without much gear if you spec correctly. They are also a forimidable solo grinding class with the use of Necromancer/warlock. In terms of healing chloro's are amazing healers who heal by dpsing.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by glutamine View Post
    cleric is very nice as a damage/healer.
    You will regret ever rolling a Cleric.

Mage/Rogue all the way.

Rogue for PVP Gank
    Mage for brutal power.
    Last edited by Zaheen; 05-01-2011 at 08:51 AM.

Go mage, and Ranger is the rogue's pet class, not marksman.

Rogues get a bit better post 50 when you start to get some decent gear, but as stated above, there is nothing we bring to the table that other classes cant do better. If you get invited to a raid/dungeon its usually to perform the functions of a bard which is pretty boring.
    486 DX2
    4MB RAM
    3.5 and 5 1/4 Floppy
    Voodoo Video Card
    14in monitor VGA 256k
    28.8 Modem

Marksmen is primarily a pvp class and its damage isnt really all that high. And ranger is a pet class.

I would suggest cleric or mage.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaheen View Post
    You will regret ever rolling a Cleric.

Mage/Rogue all the way.

Rogue for PVP Gank
    Mage for brutal power.
    You will absolutely not regret rolling cleric. I wish I'd invested all the time in my cleric that I have in my mage, though I like my mage a bit as well. If I knew at launch what I know now, I'd roll cleric 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixfire82 View Post
    You will absolutely not regret rolling cleric. I wish I'd invested all the time in my cleric that I have in my mage, though I like my mage a bit as well. If I knew at launch what I know now, I'd roll cleric 100%.
    Agree. While certain mage builds are over the top in some damage situations, Clerics have awesome survivability and can dish out some crazy damage themselves. Our best tank in our guild is also a cleric. That might have to do with skill, but clerics can do just about everything.
    486 DX2
    4MB RAM
    3.5 and 5 1/4 Floppy
    Voodoo Video Card
    14in monitor VGA 256k
    28.8 Modem

Ignore all of this discussion of balance and who sucks where. This is something that will change many, many times over the game's lifespan but your character investment is something you keep for life.

If you like the feel of a hunter and don't want a pet then MM is a good place to look. You get to plink things with arrows and bullets while being mobile. There are some cast times but a lot of instants. Also, with the rogue calling, you'll get Bard which allows you to deal damage from range (not exciting damage tho) while providing heals and buffs. Bards can be a boon in PvP and there's some evidence that lv50 MM can be strong, most just do it wrong. I have yet to see proof of this but if I can ever catch a specific guildie online, I'll pick his brain about the topic.

Look at how you want to play, not what is currently awesome. No pets. Has range. Can support. That cuts out all warriors as well as rangers, elementalists and necromancers. Clerics have a strong ranged dps option with the Inquistor (nukes, dots, good solo and team class) and Cabalist (best played as an aoe support/harassment class, imo). Mages as noted are chock full of ranged options with Chloromancer as a healer as well as Archon (nuker/buffer, strong dps). And then rogue with MM and Bard. You may want to look at Saboteur as well. It's a rogue ranged, non-pet soul that puts up strong numbers, has solid AoE and sports a fairly unique mechanic with it's focus on back loaded damage.

I'm a big proponent of play feel over mechanical advantage. It doesn't matter how much *** I kick if I'm bored doing it.
    Last edited by exLupo; 05-01-2011 at 09:40 AM.
    There is no better cause to fight than the simple need that blood be spilled. Do not fight because you receive reward or praise. Fight because that other bastard exists solely to die at the end of your blade.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Kircic View Post

Pick the weakest class in the game. By the time you get it to 50 & geared, it will be OP

on that note, pick rogue.

Since you have an interest in healing, you definitely want either the cleric or the mage. The rogue healer (bard) is really only a support heals and frankly kinda boring since you have to spam a lot of 30 second buffs.

Personally I would go with cleric because they have a tanking option. If you set up your 4 roles as tank, healer, ranged dps, pvp healer, you will be able to find a spot in pretty much any group/raid/warfront. No other class can do this. Not to mention nearly every recruiting guild is looking for clerics.

Someone mentioned mages being able to complete all five levels of a rift solo. A cleric can do this too, although it takes a little bit longer.

Last thing I'd say is not to completely dismiss pets before you've played too much. There isn't much pet management to worry about in this game, as they only have a couple abilities and AI is very good. It's likely you won't put a ton of points in your third soul anyway, so having a third soul that gives a pet can add a nice meatshield, self-heal, dps, or whatever for no investment of points whatsoever.

Rift Disciple

Don't let these forums scare you off. There just seems to be a vast amount more vocal terribles at the rogue class.

That said, marksman, although not quite up to snuff in PvE is more than fine in PvP. I'd call it borderline overpowered on anything that isn't a tank. Of course the martyrs of the rogue forum will disagree with be, but there's a relatively high skill cap (And all the skill caps in this game are unfortunately low) on the rogue class in relation to other classes.
    WoW - Deadenlol/Cika/Vyka/Deaden - 6 Time Gladiator DK/Warrior/Rogue - Whisperwind (US)
    Rift - Deaden - Rogue - Lotham (US)
    DAoC - Fraletlan - r50 rr10 Smite Cleric - Iseult

Dispelling rogue myths one at a time
    Yes, you can parse over 1k as a rogue.
    No, marksman is not an awful tree.
    Target dummies do not give an accurate representation of raid performance. Stop it.

Vyka, if you could, sell us on the strengths of MM PvP. My only experience with them is sighing when one sees that I'm a healer and blows his wad, accomplishing next to nothing. I've heard their strength is in mobile harassment but PvP with no control abilities, even pressure classes are fairly easy to nullify.

Conceptually, I love MM but haven't ever seen them put to good use. So for the sake of the OP and everyone else (I saw your mythbuster sig), would you be so kind as to open our eyes to the truth?

edit: And I know this is the internet so that post should be sarcasm but, really, I'd like to know!
    Last edited by exLupo; 05-01-2011 at 10:12 AM.
    There is no better cause to fight than the simple need that blood be spilled. Do not fight because you receive reward or praise. Fight because that other bastard exists solely to die at the end of your blade.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast