+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

Thread: Is 4 callings too broad?

  1. #1
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    480

    Default Is 4 callings too broad?

    Is it fair that players who likes the druid or shaman classes are forced/expected to heal and tank at the same time if they want to do higher level content?

    Did Trion make a mistake in lumping so many "classes" into one calling?

    Is it possible to develope sub-callings and divide the souls into 2 groups of 4? Could this also make balancing easier since there are less combinaitons?

    Should you be limited to the amount of souls you can access?

    I was really attracted to how customizable the game could of been. Unfortunatley I am starting to think that it is just a fundemental flaw in the balance of the game.

    Obviously a sub-calling overhaul would probably destroy the game as most people would not be able to handle it. I am just trying to get other peoples thoughts on this. Please try to keep it civil even though I know alot of posters are challenged in that area.

  2. #2
    Champion Dao Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    536

    Default

    The flexibility of the soul system is what drew me to this game, and keeps me interested. If they scrapped it, I'd bail. I like that my Cleric and Rogue can tank, heal and ranged/melee DPS. I like not getting stuck playing one spec, or being pigeonholed into one build or playstyle.
    Unrepentant Gaming Community

    Bacardi: Rogue (Defiant/Sunrest)
    Dao: Cleric (Defiant/Gnarlwood)

  3. #3
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dao Jones View Post
    The flexibility of the soul system is what drew me to this game, and keeps me interested. If they scrapped it, I'd bail. I like that my Cleric and Rogue can tank, heal and ranged/melee DPS. I like not getting stuck playing one spec, or being pigeonholed into one build or playstyle.
    lol the flexibility of being force into 2 builds per calling is what brought you here?

    They wanted to give you options but decided they didn't know what they wanted so they force you into one of two builds if you're a warrior, and you get 1 more if you are a cleric or rogue. They need to sit down and really look at what they want for each calling and each soul.

    If they cant do that this balancing problem they have will never end.

  4. #4
    Koe
    Koe is offline
    Ascendant Koe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SvnStrSlm View Post
    Is it fair that players who likes the druid or shaman classes are forced/expected to heal and tank at the same time if they want to do higher level content?

    Did Trion make a mistake in lumping so many "classes" into one calling?

    Is it possible to develope sub-callings and divide the souls into 2 groups of 4? Could this also make balancing easier since there are less combinaitons?

    Should you be limited to the amount of souls you can access?

    I was really attracted to how customizable the game could of been. Unfortunatley I am starting to think that it is just a fundemental flaw in the balance of the game.

    Obviously a sub-calling overhaul would probably destroy the game as most people would not be able to handle it. I am just trying to get other peoples thoughts on this. Please try to keep it civil even though I know alot of posters are challenged in that area.
    If you want to play Druid/Shaman DPS then join a group that's looking for a DPS.

  5. #5
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    186

    Default

    This doesnt even make sense... If your playing as a tank/healer cleric when youd rather be a DPS then thats your choice/problem not trions...

  6. #6
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,083

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SvnStrSlm View Post
    Is it fair that players who likes the druid or shaman classes are forced/expected to heal and tank at the same time if they want to do higher level content?

    Did Trion make a mistake in lumping so many "classes" into one calling?
    its pretty funny to see how people try to help you and you start biting and barking at them, like some rabid street mutt...
    lets just give a look to statistics:
    In every game with the standard "tank/healer/dps" triade archetipe you see a distribution around 1 tank for every 5 dps, 1 healer for every 4.
    but then most of those tanks and healers are locked into guilds as guild peoples look at what classes are needed to balance up the guild and make alts accordingly or start guilding people only of those classes, so you wont see those in a pug group.
    this means that for regular pug groups the distribution is more around 1 tank every 10/12 dps, 1 healer every 7-9 dps.
    with the basic 1 tank, 1 healer, 3 dps group this means that you have to fight with 3-4 other players for every dps slot in any groups
    for harder runs or if the tank isnt so satisfed of his equip you get the 1tank, 2healer, 2 dps, so your chances as dps to find a slot drops to 1 in 5-6
    your myophic "i dont want to be forced to play as tank or healer" isnt being forced at all, you just lost your fight for that one in five dps slot _BUT_ the game still offer you the opportunity to get those "free" tank slots or nearly free healer slots - any other game (or the one with the changes you are requesting) would just leave you dry, kicking at the dummy without any option to enter as any other role than your basic dps you chose at character creation.
    do you really want to continue whining?
    Last edited by Ruizo; 05-01-2011 at 12:54 AM.
    Once known as Nix-Zero


    Man is least himself when he talks in his own person.
    Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.

  7. #7
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ruizo View Post
    its pretty funny to see how people try to help you and you start biting and barking at them, like some rabid street mutt...
    lets just give a look to statistics:
    In every game with the standard "tank/healer/dps" triade archetipe you see a distribution around 1 tank for every 5 dps, 1 healer for every 4.
    but then most of those tanks and healers are locked into guilds as guild peoples look at what classes are needed to balance up the guild and make alts accordingly or start guilding people only of those classes, so you wont see those in a pug group.
    this means that for regular pug groups the distribution is more around 1 tank every 10/12 dps, 1 healer every 7-9 dps.
    with the basic 1 tank, 1 healer, 3 dps group this means that you have to fight with 3-4 other players for every dps slot in any groups
    for harder runs or if the tank isnt so satisfed of his equip you get the 1tank, 2healer, 2 dps, so your chances as dps to find a slot drops to 1 in 5-6
    your myophic "i dont want to be forced to play as tank or healer" isnt being forced at all, you just lost your fight for that one in five dps slot _BUT_ the game still offer you the opportunity to get those "free" tank slots or nearly free healer slots - any other game (or the one with the changes you are requesting) would just leave you dry, kicking at the dummy without any option to enter as any other role than your basic dps you chose at character creation.
    do you really want to continue whining?
    Those arent statistics. Those are just some numbers you made up.

  8. #8
    Shield of Telara Gnova's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    719

    Default

    The issue with the cleric class is that 4 roles aren't enough.
    I would really like to be able to run:
    Tank Spec
    MeleeDPS spec
    Ranged DPS spec
    HOT heavy heal spec
    Single target heavy heal spec
    PvP heal spec
    PvP survival build spec.

    I think everyone should be given 2 PvP roles that are separate from the PvE roles.
    The PvP roles would require you to have 5 points in the PvP soul in order to be usable.
    The first one would be granted when you buy the soul. The 2nd you would buy with favor, or maybe after completing 20of the pvp dailies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vashane View Post
    I would just like to add, I sure hope they don't add something to this game before they add something else that is totally unrelated to the thing they might add, because that would really tick me off or something if they added it first before the thing that should be added first even though its totally unrelated like, you know?

  9. #9
    Prophet of Telara Flaviusx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,115

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SvnStrSlm View Post
    Is it fair that players who likes the druid or shaman classes are forced/expected to heal and tank at the same time if they want to do higher level content?

    Did Trion make a mistake in lumping so many "classes" into one calling?

    Is it possible to develope sub-callings and divide the souls into 2 groups of 4? Could this also make balancing easier since there are less combinaitons?

    Should you be limited to the amount of souls you can access?

    I was really attracted to how customizable the game could of been. Unfortunatley I am starting to think that it is just a fundemental flaw in the balance of the game.

    Obviously a sub-calling overhaul would probably destroy the game as most people would not be able to handle it. I am just trying to get other peoples thoughts on this. Please try to keep it civil even though I know alot of posters are challenged in that area.
    Here is something that Rift doesn't have: huge and endless arguments between "pures" and "hybrid" classes. Trust me when I say that Rift is better off for this and making every class a hybrid.

  10. #10
    Champion Dao Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Metsuro View Post
    lol the flexibility of being force into 2 builds per calling is what brought you here?
    [...]
    They wanted to give you options but decided they didn't know what they wanted so they force you into one of two builds if you're a warrior, and you get 1 more if you are a cleric or rogue.
    You sound like a baddie who only makes whatever build is FotM for your calling, then demands everyone else get nerfed when you get owned.

    For my Cleric (level 50, geared in T1/T2/PvP R3 stuff):
    1. DPS/healer hybrid PvP/solo spec. Inquisitor/Justicar/Sentinel. Does okay ST damage, great AoE, and has access to nice party healing with great survivability.
    2. Justicar tank spec. Good for experts. (Justicars are great tanks, fyi.)
    3. Pure DPS spec. Straight Cabalist. Awesome AoE, strong ST DPS. Works well in dungeons.
    4. Pure healer spec. Purifier/Sentinel. I heal dungeons with this build.

    For my Rogue (level 36):
    1. DPS solo/PvP build. Nightblade/Riftstalker. Survivability, heal debuffs, and really solid ST damage.
    2. Riftstalker tank build. Still leveling, but hasn't had a problem with dungeons so far. (And, y'know, Rogue tanks rock)
    3. Pure Bard support spec. Good for Black Garden PvP, and zone events. Also helps to keep handy for dungeons if we have an inexperienced healer or under-level tank.

    So, tell me again how you only get "two builds per class"? I look forward to getting an additional role; my Cleric could use six, easy, and my Rogue will probably want the 5th one to keep handy for "experimental" builds.
    Unrepentant Gaming Community

    Bacardi: Rogue (Defiant/Sunrest)
    Dao: Cleric (Defiant/Gnarlwood)

  11. #11
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    461

    Default

    2 builds per calling?

    you are doing it wrong then.

  12. #12
    Telaran Rounin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    98

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XEshamX View Post
    2 builds per calling?

    you are doing it wrong then.
    This.
    Even with a warrior I'd love more roles than four...

  13. #13
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rounin View Post
    This.
    Even with a warrior I'd love more roles than four...
    Ya but the roles a warrior can perform are meat shield and subpar dps. Thats 2. You can use several different souls to do that but paladin is usually in there somewhere. so it limits whats going to be allowed.

    Just because you are bad and cant see how limited everything is doesn't mean I'm a baddie.

  14. #14
    Telaran karlek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SvnStrSlm View Post
    Is it fair that players who likes the druid or shaman classes are forced/expected to heal and tank at the same time if they want to do higher level content?

    Did Trion make a mistake in lumping so many "classes" into one calling?

    Is it possible to develope sub-callings and divide the souls into 2 groups of 4? Could this also make balancing easier since there are less combinaitons?

    Should you be limited to the amount of souls you can access?

    I was really attracted to how customizable the game could of been. Unfortunatley I am starting to think that it is just a fundemental flaw in the balance of the game.

    Obviously a sub-calling overhaul would probably destroy the game as most people would not be able to handle it. I am just trying to get other peoples thoughts on this. Please try to keep it civil even though I know alot of posters are challenged in that area.
    I know it is completely and outrageously ridiculous that people would expect Cleric to heal. What the hell is wrong with the world now days?

    I am a Lv50 Cleric. I knew exactly what I was picking and I am very happy with my build. I can dominate in PvP but when there is a need to heal I got no prob jumping into a diff spec and healing.

    If you wanted pure melee DPS should've picked Warrior or a Rogue. What did you expect to go mainly melee as a Cleric spec?
    Bahatu's rolemodel.

  15. #15
    Champion Dao Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Metsuro View Post
    Just because you are bad and cant see how limited everything is doesn't mean I'm a baddie.
    So, you only play a Warrior, right? Sounds like you only play a Warrior. Clerics have at least a half dozen "ideal" specs, and probably another dozen perfectly viable variations of builds that people play. Rogues seem to have fewer than Clerics (at least in my experience leveling my Rogue), but 4-5 seems desirable. And most Mages will have at least four: PvP, Chloro, something like a Necro/'Lock for soloing, and probably a deep Archon build for raiding.

    Try leveling another class, and see if your tune doesn't change.
    Unrepentant Gaming Community

    Bacardi: Rogue (Defiant/Sunrest)
    Dao: Cleric (Defiant/Gnarlwood)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts