+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Spell Power vs Attack Power the real problem.

Plane Touched

Default Spell Power vs Attack Power the real problem.

I think i figure out the real problem.
    For every 5 points of spell power you gain 1 damage to existing magical spells.
    For ever 10 points of attack power you gain 1 damage to physical abilities.

Now lets say i have 500 attack power this will give my phsical abilities 500/10 =50 more damage .
    e.g my regular savage strike say 100 damage so will net 150 damage depending on crit bonus and such will crit for 300 to 400.
    Now say you have a mage with 500 spell power.
    500/5 = 100
    say the mage has a spell that hits for 100. so now hits for 200.

You can see where the real problem here is.All the spell power buffs mages can spell power over 1000 effectively adding 500 more to their spell damage with crit bonus here is where you see the 6k plus crits.
    Easy fix make Spell power = attack power .Lower spell power to attack power.
    I have seen clerics crit for lke 2.k because of this.
    I think if the developers scale spell power with attack power half the balancing issues will be over.
    Problem solve.Game over.

Banned

Plus add on to that no matter what i hit with my ap attack some of it is mitigated by arnour.

Whatever i hit with my SP attack is taking 100% of the damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Stabsalot View Post

Now lets say i have 500 attack power this will give my phsical abilities 500/10 =50 more damage .
    e.g my regular savage strike say 100 damage so will net 150 damage depending on crit bonus and such will crit for 300 to 400.
    500/5 = 100

You can see where the real problem here is.All the spell power buffs mages can spell power over 1000 effectively adding 500 more to their spell damage with crit bonus here is where you see the 6k plus crits.
    I think if the developers scale spell power with attack power half the balancing issues will be over.
    Problem solve.Game over.
    Maybe the game is designed this way because Mages have very little defense. They wear cloth armor and are meant to stay back and nuke. Warriors can be in the middle of a clustery mess of enemies and be whirling around, while surviving at the same time.
    Last edited by Domix; 04-30-2011 at 02:18 PM.
    Guardian - Shatterbone - Mage - Warlock/Chloromancer/Elementalist

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Domix View Post
    Maybe the game is designed this way because Mages have very little defense. They wear cloth armor and are meant to stay back and nuke. Warriors can be in the middle of a clustery mess of enemies and be whirling around, while surviving at the same time.
    And the rationale for rogues who have about 10% more armour than their 5k critting cousins?

Quote Originally Posted by Domix View Post
    This would be nice.

Rift Chaser

If Trion "fixes" this problem you know what I would like as a caster? For my weapon damage to add to spells.
    My hybrid just kicked your ***, how sad are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Rounin View Post
    This would be nice.
    Couldn't agree more. Hopefully they are working towards it being true.

Plane Touched

What game are you playing?
    In Rift all of the mage classes have more spells and tools to have more defense than rouges.
    In reality mages would be the glass canons and from afar nuke you to death.but in rift they have great survivalibity the best dps.
    If the developers fix spell power in relation to attack power most of the inbalance will disappear.
    Spell power has double effectives compare to attack power.That is the reason there is so much one shotting going on.All you have to do is max spell power and have a high damage magical nuke and 1, 2 shot.
    Right now pyros are one shotting but i have seen and experience other mages and clerics doing over 2k damage with some abilities instant cast 30 meter abilities.
    If they fix this spell power it will take care of alot of qqing in the future.

Plane Touched

If Trion "fixes" this problem you know what I would like as a caster? For my weapon damage to add to spells.( Unspecified)
    Weapon damage added to spells would be ok .since the highest one hander damage is prob only 32.
    But you can see where the problem is don't you?
    with the red ball and trinkets buffing 250 spell power plus all the crit bonus . there goes your 6k crit.
    Last edited by Stabsalot; 04-30-2011 at 02:39 PM.

What game are you playing?
    In Rift all of the mage classes have more spells and tools to have more defense than rouges.
    In reality mages would be the glass canons and from afar nuke you to death.but in rift they have great survivalibity the best dps.
    If the developers fix spell power in relation to attack power most of the inbalance will disappear.
    Spell power has double effectives compare to attack power.That is the reason there is so much one shotting going on.All you have to do is max spell power and have a high damage magical nuke and 1, 2 shot.
    Right now pyros are one shotting but i have seen and experience other mages and clerics doing over 2k damage with some abilities instant cast 30 meter abilities.
    If they fix this spell power it will take care of alot of qqing in the future.
    That is not the reason why SP does more damage, nor will making SP like AP fix anything. There needs to be a reliable form of magic mit.

500/5 = 100

Problem solve.Game over.
    It works like this because your damage also scales with your weapon damage, magic damage does not. We get ALL our scaling from spellpower.
    -The Unnamed- Defiant
    Vayra - Mage
    Forkrul - Cleric
    Kalyth - FOTM warrior in training, 5k pvp kills at lvl 28

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Vayra View Post
    It works like this because your damage also scales with your weapon damage, magic damage does not. We get ALL our scaling from spellpower.
    this.

also all melee/non-magical ranged attacks are instants while many spells have a cast time.

also many spells use different 'coefficient' than 1:1 that the tooltip is saying to you.

also warriors have way more off the gcd abilities and rogues have 1sec gcd.
    Last edited by shroudb; 04-30-2011 at 03:19 PM.

Yay lets cut Spell power contribution in half, because of damage and not take in to account what that will mean for healing in the game! Great idea!
    Kellie:.
    .:Veteran member | Precept
    Youtube

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by mewKelliemew View Post
    Yay lets cut Spell power contribution in half, because of damage and not take in to account what that will mean for healing in the game! Great idea!
    What? as you can clearly see as spell power gets higher so does the magical abilites. is it fair for some one to be able to stand 30 feet away and 1 or 2 shot you? as is already spell has no resistance from lower level gear so it hits for full.Trion needs to make spell power equal to attack power and also include resistance to spells on all gear equal to mitigation .

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by shroudb View Post
    this.

also all melee/non-magical ranged attacks are instants while many spells have a cast time.

also many spells use different 'coefficient' than 1:1 that the tooltip is saying to you.

also warriors have way more off the gcd abilities and rogues have 1sec gcd.
    And ranged have range, also you have to take armor mitigation into consideration

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast