+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I Want To Play a Ranged DPS, Which...

Shadowlander

Default I Want To Play a Ranged DPS, Which...

1. Is not considered OP by the majority of players - Pyro
    2. Is not overly abundant everywhere I turn - Pyro and maybe MM with the upcoming patch.
    3. Is generally single target - No SC or Cabalist.
    4. Is not a pet class - Necro, Elementalist, Ranger
    5. Not too many channeling skills, which seem to bug up on me (unfortunately) while playing because of lag/ping - No Cabalist style channeling.
    6. Takes skill to play well or even considered underpowered/useless/rare.

Can anyone recommend a soul for me along these lines? I dunno why I am having so much trouble finding a soul for me.

That leaves you with... warlock, and I think thats it.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by ISpeakJapanese View Post
    2. Is not overly abundant everywhere I turn - Pyro and maybe MM with the upcoming patch.
    5. Not too many channeling skills, which seem to bug up on me (unfortunately) while playing because of lag/ping - No Cabalist style channeling.

Can anyone recommend a soul for me along these lines? I dunno why I am having so much trouble finding a soul for me.
    I know pretty much why you have problems finding a soul. You practically discarded every soul. You can play RB/Paragon Warrior, some Archon or Dominator and Saboteur. You cant choose Warlock/Chloro as those are considered OP and there is already a lot of them.
    Last edited by Zhalfirim; 04-29-2011 at 10:49 PM.

Rift Disciple

SC have good single target also

Rift Chaser

Inquisitor is the only thing left I can think of except they aren't exactly rare/useless... though often considered underpowered especially single target.

Really though I think you've eliminated everything else.
    My hybrid just kicked your ***, how sad are you?

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Zhalfirim View Post
    I know pretty much why you have problems finding a soul. You practically discarded every soul. You can play RB/Paragon Warrior, some Archon or Dominator and Saboteur. You cant choose Warlock/Chloro as those are considered OP and there is already a lot of them.
    I was planning on playing a Pyro back when Rift was first released. Everyone was qqing about Rogues or rolling their own Rogues while everyone said Mages were terrible and you never saw any. Once Pyros got ridiculous I switched to Dom and although I love Dom and I enjoy a challenge, this patch doesn't really leave Dominators with... anything.

I was going to make a Cabalist instead, but after the first 10 levels, I realized I should just accept the fact that my internet will not let me play a channeler.

Saboteur actually seems decent. I might try that. I didn't think of them. They aren't nearly as common as they were at launch, right?

Rift Master

I was planning on playing a Pyro back when Rift was first released. Everyone was qqing about Rogues or rolling their own Rogues while everyone said Mages were terrible and you never saw any. Once Pyros got ridiculous I switched to Dom and although I love Dom and I enjoy a challenge, this patch doesn't really leave Dominators with... anything.

I was going to make a Cabalist instead, but after the first 10 levels, I realized I should just accept the fact that my internet will not let me play a channeler.

Saboteur actually seems decent. I might try that. I didn't think of them. They aren't nearly as common as they were at launch, right?
    Saboteurs are quite decent at lower brackets and not that good at 50. So I guess if you want to prove your superiority in pvp, Sabo is a way to go. It has some burst still and offers some AoE CC, which could be potentially bad if the CC immunity will go live.

Underpowered/useless? Pick rogue for ranged DPS, and you'll have many choices available to you. No matter what you do, you're strictly worse than a mage for RDPS. GLHF

Rift Disciple

MM/NB/Inf

Don't listen to the haters as it only gets better once you get past Rank 3.

Add in the upcoming boost to damage and skill adjustments MM are looking very sleeper.

No you wont be pewcritpewcrit pyromania - but a well played MM with the M/NB/Inf or MM/NB/A.s.s can be very effective. It's single target/FF, lots of running and gunning/snaring, dot'ing. I know it's a bit underpowered but I have a blast playing it.

I'm always top for carrier kills, KBs and if I want to aoe spam I get in the top 5 for damage. It's gotten so bad of late that I am getting FF by a lot of regulars guardian side and no, it's not because I am an easy kill ;)
    Last edited by SinisterUrge; 04-30-2011 at 12:44 PM.

Ummm, this works both ways. Melee can no longer keep ranged in melee.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Firagatar View Post
    Ummm, this works both ways. Melee can no longer keep ranged in melee.
    Ummm, I think you posted in the wrong thread.

General of Telara

i would go with a sab , they can do good if you master them but are challenging in pvp.
    i would go with archon , they are mostly used for raiding but buffing is nice and dps aint too bad.
    i would go with inquisitor, they have 2 channel but you can leave them out if you want but when they will get buffed and their damage will be less random (from life and death) i expect to see more of them.
    Or go with a dps warrior coupled with a heavy warlord, you wont see that alot

i know you are trying to be unique and wanted but in rift you cant find the special class that nobody play and everybody want, i tried ... Im still welcomed alot as an archon but often you will go in a group and say "im a warlock (or whatever the soul)" and people will **** and heal so you will have to switch to chloro/xxxx.

you will play a sabo and people will say you are useless, pick up MM.

so anyway, youll end up playing something else for big pvp game or for raid/expert because you need to be useful. I know you wanna do miracle and prove others wrong, thats why i played a Magus in warhammer, first played a warlock in wow when there was almost nobody who played them. I played a mystic/defiler in Eq2 etc. I always wanna play what the people say its crap and make them worthwhile. But its not like that in rift since you can change role like you can change underwear (i love the system btw). People will ask you to change for something better or they wont take you. (talking about endgame or group pvp, on regular people usually dont care or dont know you suck)
    Last edited by darkchicken; 04-30-2011 at 04:21 PM.

Shadowlander

Not that anyone probably cares, but I decided to go with Saboteur. Got to lvl 20 in one setting, which is kind of a big deal for me since I'm more of a casual player. I just couldn't stop. Saboteur is so much fun!!! Really enjoying it!!!

Plane Touched

That pretty much leaves you soulless - spamming your wand attack.

Sounds like a Dominator, to be honest.

+ Reply to Thread