+ Reply to Thread

Thread: snares on diminishing returns....?

Soulwalker

Default snares on diminishing returns....?

clumping different types of CC into 1 subgroup may be OK, but they're putting snares together with knockbacks and roots.
    Why would snares have diminishing returns? They're supposed to be spammable, to keep people in or out of range, until a gap closer / opener is available

If people become immune after 2 snares, they're going to be hopping away 5 feet ahead of you spamming instants and it will be irritating rather than less so

Could this please affect mobs, too (as in them snaring us...)? >_>
    Last edited by Tolmos; 04-28-2011 at 08:52 PM.

Ascendant

Maybe it's their attempt to enable "kiting"?

Come on face it... Kiting is rather unrealistic in rift simply because the endless ways to close in maps are clogged by mobs ect compare to games like wow (i know i know).

I mean heck warriors has the best ST snare of the entire game "Frozen Armor" (ranged too and gives a whooping dmg debuff) while MMs has to work with several different skills since all their snares has shorter effects than cooldown. Oh also their "get away" sprint type of skill has 70% speed that lasts for 5 second while warrior version has 60% speed for 15 second... thats right 10% less speed (assuming avatar of the wind doesnt stack) but 300% more the duration.

With DR it will be like "if you survive 2 snares/root" you get to kite for x seconds before immunity reset.

Also it goes both ways, the kiters will use their snare on you to create distance and after the initial 2 snares YOU are immune and you can use your sprint if you spec for it (assuming you are a warrior) and there is nothing they can do about it since your sprint lasts 300% longer.

All the aside I still think they should group it a bit differently...

Group 1: Stuns and unbreakable roots.
    Group 2: Mezz that breaks on damage/sheep/fear.
    Group 3: None AoE snares/slows and pushback.

I said none AoE snares meaning snares like the adhesive bomb should be perma-snare if you remain in effected area and instantly break as soon as you leave the AoE. Well unless you already got the immunity.

Again the change affects the kited as well as the kiter and I am interested to see how it plays out in PvP.
    Since the reduction changes meleers are gonna be a lot more dangerous right up in your face, this MIGHT be their way of balancing it.
    Last edited by WarUltima; 04-28-2011 at 09:17 PM.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by iceblock View Post
    snares on diminishing returns....?
    How dare they put a snare on diminishing returns!!!....How does this work exactly? Do diminishing returns work slower?

Yea snare is a pretty odd thing to have on immunity. Would be great as a cleric, once I get that immunity I can escape back to my team before I run out of self-heals. Kinda doubt this makes it live though, there are just so many abilities that are obviously built on the assumption that people will be perma-snaring each other in PvP.

Like, my 10-point PvP talent is a reactive 30% snare with 5 charges. People are gonna WANT to hit that - just 2 swings and you get a 30 second blessing of freedom, at the cost of only a weak and brief snare. And I'm not looking forward to horribly geared rogues giving people immunities to all my knockbacks just to do some negligible damage to them. I already rage at them enough as it is for breaking mez to do negligible damage.

Rift Master

The CC changes are terrible (esp snare on DR), and basicly is going to turn Rift into an MMOLite. They are taking the depth out of the combat system.

Not to mention the unitended consequences, such as melee basically being unkitable now (this patch actually will nerf kiting) and making multiple souls/abilities near useless (Dominator much?).

Stupid idea is stupid. Guild Wars 2 here I come.
    Last edited by Foofmonger; 04-29-2011 at 04:57 AM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by WarUltima View Post
    Kiting is rather unrealistic in rift.
    Unrealistic?! Since when has any form of kiting ever been 'realistic'? Can you imagine medieval longbowmen strafe-running away from a melee enemy while firing their bow back at them?

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum View Post
    Unrealistic?! Since when has any form of kiting ever been 'realistic'? Can you imagine medieval longbowmen strafe-running away from a melee enemy while firing their bow back at them?
    That situation would be realistic in a fantasy world where people had spells and snares. I agree with the poster a few posts above, this game is starting to turn into MMOLite, where everyone is assured their character won't be cc'ed/snared for too long, that they always have options to close the distance, that they always have abilities to get out of certain situations, especially cc ect ect.

The more these types of changes come, the more I feel sorry for people who thought the Dominator class was going to be fun and viable.

Ascendant

So how will this work for timed aoe snares(EG reaver and VK aura snares, rogue glue bomb thingy)

does standing in it instantly give me snare immunity since it applies like 8x a second?

So what you are saying is melee characters are ****ed? What's new.

Think they're trying to get everyone to go cleric or mage.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by iceblock View Post
    clumping different types of CC into 1 subgroup may be OK, but they're putting snares together with knockbacks and roots.
    Why would snares have diminishing returns? They're supposed to be spammable, to keep people in or out of range, until a gap closer / opener is available

If people become immune after 2 snares, they're going to be hopping away 5 feet ahead of you spamming instants and it will be irritating rather than less so
    I know right? bad move imho. Doesnt make any sense. Get ready for lots more bunny hopping.

Quote Originally Posted by Odaman View Post
    Think they're trying to get everyone to go cleric or mage.
    Pretty much.

+ Reply to Thread