+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Goodbye godlike clerics and thank you for immunity to all CC AoE CCers.

Ascendant

Default Goodbye godlike clerics and thank you for immunity to all CC AoE CCers.

Evening!

Continuing with the overall balance updates for PvP in 1.2, we have some additional info on changes that should be hitting PTS over the course of the next few days.

Updates to Crowd Control

Control’s role in PvP is a challenging one. Control abiltiies need to be useful, but not dominating. At its core, actually getting to use your abilities is much more fun than not being able to use your abilities, or being destroyed before you get a chance to break out or understand why. Our previous Crowd Control groups were too spread out across too many types to be reliably understandable.

With that said, we've consolidated all Control abilities into the following two groups both for calculating diminishing returns and for classifying Control Breaker abilities:

Movement
    •Root, Snare, Knockback
    Control
    •Banish, Disarm, Silence, Fear, Confuse, Mesmerize, Stun

In PvP both groups have a 100% initial application (8 second max), 50% second application, and provide immunity to similar effects for 30 seconds after the initial application.

Spells that break CC effects have been updated to either break all movement impairing effects, all control effects, or both.

With the addition of Snare to diminishing returns, we've retuned numerous abilities that previously passively triggered snares to make them more beneficial post 1.2.

Examples:
    •Shaman: Vengeance of the Frozen Earth will only apply a snare if the target isn't already under the effects of one.
    •Archmage: Replaced Lethargy with Degeneration - Channels dark energy into the enemy player, dealing Death damage over 3 seconds, and removes a single buff effect from the enemy player each second. This ability is obtained after spending 10 points in the Archmage soul and has a 30 second cooldown.

Damage Reduction Effects

After evaluating a lot of balance data, we’re keeping approximately the same amount of damage reduction, but tilting some of the effectiveness out of the PvP souls into PvP gear. The goal is to ensure that both aspects provide a useful benefit, instead of the majority coming from the souls themselves. For some soul combinations, the balance of damage reduction was overwhelmingly coming from the souls themselves.

Templar
    •Ethereal Shell: Reduced duration to 5 seconds. Damage reduction has been reduced to 3/6/9/12/15% per point spent. Once triggered cannot be triggered again for 15 seconds.
    •Blessing of the Martyr: Removed previous functionality. Now gives your damaging abilities a 20% chance to remove 1 buff from enemy players. Once triggered cannot be triggered again for 2 seconds.
    •Arcane Defenses: Spell damage reduction has been reduced to 1% per point spent.

Archmage
    •Ethereal Shell: Reduced duration to 5 seconds. Damage reduction has been reduced to 3/6/9/12/15% per point spent. Once triggered cannot be triggered again for 15 seconds.
    •Steelweave: Physical damage reduction has been reduced to 1% per point spent.

Infiltrator
    •Against All Odds: Now triggers from stun/root/disarm, reduces damage by 3/6/9/12/15% and lasts 5 seconds. Once triggered cannot be triggered again for 15 seconds.
    •Evading Thoughts: Reduced duration to 2 seconds per combo point.
    •Take Cover: AoE damage reduction has been reduced to 3% per point spent
    •Ignore Pain: No longer stacks with other powerful short duration damage reduction buffs.

In addition to the above changes, we're placing a cap on the percent of damage that can be reduced by pure damage reduction effects from spells and abilities in PvP.

This will only affect PvP game play and is currently capped at 75%. The cap will have no effect on Armor Mitigation, Spell Resistances or Valor as those all occur before pure damage reduction is applied.

We'll continue to monitor the effects of both CC and Damage Reduction in PvP, and make additional changes as needed to ensure a fun PvP experience across all souls and level ranges.

Thanks for the continued feedback!

Game is slowly gonna become relatively balanced.
    The artist formerly known as Daroof

Mofugga-bethlam

Well i stand corrected. They actually do listen.

Shadowlander

Well I'm a cleric and all this means for me is I can take points out of Templar and put them elsewhere and be more effective in other areas. The godlike spec people complain about is a bit **** anyway, you stand there doing next to no damage, if people ignore the giant "Hit me" sign then the spec becomes totally pointless anyway.

Meh, I care not, I'm quite happy they're actually doing somethign about the obviously stupid OP nature of some builds be it defense, offense, healing or CC.

Wait, so instead of actually fixing an ability and seeing if it was balanced with the numbers it was supposed to do, they just change the thing totally ? How is that remotely sensible.

Precept
    Gaming in the Multiverse

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by paspinall View Post
    Wait, so instead of actually fixing an ability and seeing if it was balanced with the numbers it was supposed to do, they just change the thing totally ? How is that remotely sensible.
    I dunno. This is true Gersh in action.

Ascendant

This is the biggest possible buff to clerics imaginable. How is CC immunity lasting 30s a good thing when soft CC shares the same DR with hard CC? Fear/Disorient/Mez/Rift Prison = Break free 5s immunity THEN half duration max of 4 min of 1 followed by 30 seconds of pure immunity to all cast breaking abilities. That's horrible, good players used non-damage CCs to remove godmode clerics from the fight long enough to kill teammates around them, now thats no longer possible. Wardens just jizzed their pants to these notes because they don't even need martyr or ethereal to godmode tank and require at least 10 seconds in CC to lose their HoTs on their target. GL.
    Last edited by Stimuz; 04-28-2011 at 05:35 PM.

Soulwalker
    Last edited by Kwyn; 04-28-2011 at 05:37 PM.

Shield of Telara

Well all this means for healers is they dont need templar as badly anymore and they can use those points spent into templar and spend them into their healing treee's, giving them even more effective heals whill still keeping mitigation, aslong as they have grinded their gear grind fest which = skill

All in all this just means any cleric who is not rank 6 will not be a healer but a dps, so everyone will be dying non stop now and the whines will now move on to dps classes because no one will be healing anymore
    Last edited by Bejita; 04-28-2011 at 06:25 PM.

this is both good and bad. cc is out of control in this game, i won't contest that. watch for clerics to be even more unstoppable and melee will rule the roost from here on out as well, melees are now mobile pyromancers 40 seconds out of every 60 with just break free + the new cc dr immunities, not including their own tools. GL
    Last edited by phoenixfire82; 04-28-2011 at 06:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixfire82 View Post
    this is both good and bad. cc is out of control in this game, i won't contest that. watch for clerics to be even more unstoppable and melee will rule the roost from here on out as well, melees are now mobile pyromancers 40 seconds out of every 60 with just break free + the new cc dr immunities, not including their own tools. GL
    ^ pretty much

This is why you can't nerf something without taking everything else into consideration.
    Red ball + fulminate + really craptacular dom/pyro spec trying to hard cast transmog and pray your spell lands before some squirrel punching moron eats your controlled opp proc = +1 board warrior keeping mages from being realistically balanced in PVE or PVP. 1.0-1.2's best combo in the game. RIP FOTM Pyro rollers

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixfire82 View Post
    Exactly. Harsher penalties on HARD ccs like silences and stuns which can be used while focusing the target were needed, but bunching them in with break on ANY damage CCs which are used to remove high priority targets from the fight while being dispellable is bad for the game in my opinion.

Plane Touched

Do I found it a little funny ?

In term of Whitefall or Port Scion.
    RIFTstaker will be a good joke win now lol with a immunity of 30sec(CC).

It was already challengy to "stop" someone teleporting, immunity with the flag/stone and now they will have a 30sec CC immunity of everything lol

Did I understand correctly ? ?

Quote Originally Posted by Stimuz View Post
    Exactly. Harsher penalties on HARD ccs like silences and stuns which can be used while focusing the target were needed, but bunching them in with break on ANY damage CCs which are used to remove high priority targets from the fight while being dispellable is bad for the game in my opinion.
    yep at the very least roots, snares and knockback DRs will need to be re-evaluated. these don't cause actual loss of control (root kinda does on melee, but most break on damage). Rift is the melee pain train now, nightblades and champions already wreck on live despite all the fresh 50s in greens saying otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by cyraxi View Post
    Do I found it a little funny ?

In term of Whitefall or Port Scion.
    RIFTstaker will be a good joke win now lol with a immunity of 30sec(CC).

It was already challengy to "stop" someone teleporting, immunity with the flag/stone and now they will have a 30sec CC immunity of everything lol

Did I understand correctly ? ?
    Hey, at least pyros will still get a gimp CC immunity by comparrison, and can still abuse the powerball. We'll get a quick burst off before we get rolled from now on, until we get nerfed again anyway.
    Red ball + fulminate + really craptacular dom/pyro spec trying to hard cast transmog and pray your spell lands before some squirrel punching moron eats your controlled opp proc = +1 board warrior keeping mages from being realistically balanced in PVE or PVP. 1.0-1.2's best combo in the game. RIP FOTM Pyro rollers

the more i think about this the worse it seems. all the melee with their 5 gap closers being immune to any method a ranged might have to bounce them off for a second. this can only turn out well

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast