+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Usefulness of macros

Soulwalker

Default Usefulness of macros

Maybe this has been posted somewhere else, i dont know.

What is the usefulness of macros? i could understand if i could cast a few spells in succession, say to keep my HOTS up on a tank, but instead, it appears to me that i can only cast one spell per macro, and say something. whats the point of that. oh well i can use /cast @mouseover. Maybe im doing it wrong?
    im setting the macro like this:
    /cast @mouseover spell 1
    /cast @mouseover spell 2

Are you guys setting your macros up differently?

well certain classes (shaman for one) can pretty much macro their whole rotation as it is based on cooldowns. IE cast long cooldown ability, cast short cooldown ability, cast instant ability.

One use is when tanking to place a macro such as
    #show taunt no.2
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast taunt no.1
    cast taunt no.2
    (optional) cast aoe taunt

what this does is let me have a button to press that i know will cast a taunt, rather than having 2 buttons for taunting (and maybe hit the one on cooldown).

other things such as having a melee spam button:
    #show instant spam rogue attack (SS perhaps)
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast reactive skill
    cast long CD spam skill (puncture/dusk strike)
    cast instant skill
    cast ranged ap builder on CD (Twilight force) (this may go above your instant skill if it does more damage)
    cast ranged ap builder instant (flame strike)

this macro will allow me to cast an ap building attack whether i am in melee range or out, as well as prioritising the higher damage CD abilities, above the no CD instant attacks. if on one mob it will cast in the abilities in the order above depending on what is on/off CD or what reactives are available.

other uses for me: teleports with riftstalker and openers.

for me i use macros largely to help with effective cooldown management (if it should be on cooldown always then it will be). Rift doesn't support cast sequence macros (though it is still achievable with certain keyboards and third party programs which i believe are not supported/allowed by Trion).
    Last edited by wurcker; 04-27-2011 at 10:01 PM.
    insert signature here.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Itchy View Post
    Maybe this has been posted somewhere else, i dont know.

What is the usefulness of macros? i could understand if i could cast a few spells in succession, say to keep my HOTS up on a tank, but instead, it appears to me that i can only cast one spell per macro, and say something. whats the point of that. oh well i can use /cast @mouseover. Maybe im doing it wrong?
    im setting the macro like this:
    /cast @mouseover spell 1
    /cast @mouseover spell 2

Are you guys setting your macros up differently?
    You can cast multiple abilites in a macro but there needs to be some form of restriction on all but one ability to get them to all fire.

Restriction like Cooldown, Reactive(on dodge/parry ect...) and Range.

cast Reactive
    cast Cooldown
    cast Cooldown
    cast Melee nonrestrictive ability
    cast Range nonrestrictive ability

It will fall down the list tell something is available then will start at the top on the next keypress.

Soulwalker

Thanks for the updates. I was primarily planning to use macros to assist in healing, i don't want to just go spamming them indiscriminately,

For the most part it's for using a cooldown skill and then switching to one that's spamable.

For healing I also have it do instants if I'm moving and long casts if I'm standing still.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Itchy View Post
    Thanks for the updates. I was primarily planning to use macros to assist in healing, i don't want to just go spamming them indiscriminately,
    Healers don't get much use out of macros besides the above mentioned and mouseover.

+ Reply to Thread