+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: One character, all Callings?

  1. #1
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2

    Default One character, all Callings?

    Curious to see what player's thoughts are on this. General idea is that you start as one calling and sometime later, similar to unlocking souls, you unlock the ability to switch between callings. It wouldn't have to be done on the fly, it could require you to go to Sanctum/Meridian to switch your calling. I think this would help game longevity and mitigates certain issues.

    Suppose you get a Mage to level 50 and then you switch to Warrior calling in the city starting at level 1, but on the same character. Also, suppose you would be able to repeat all quests again on the new calling. A feature like this would make faction grinding less painful. This way you could also keep your achievements on one character instead of repeating some of the dreadful ones such as kill 10,000 cultists, and who wants to collect all artifact sets a second, third, or fourth time? Is there a reason a feature like this would be bad? Thoughts?
    Last edited by gudrad; 04-27-2011 at 09:26 PM.

  2. #2
    Prophet of Telara NatashaK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,146

    Default

    It's really not that hard to go 1 to 50. It's part of what gets experienced people to help newbies. WoW got people to level lots of characters 1 to max level and RIFT appears to be using the same concepts.

  3. #3
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    9

    Default

    I don't really quite get your meaning of this. I just started a few weeks ago and it seems like a lot of the achievements just come from regular play so really if you level your old toon, or a new one you are going to earn them again regardless.
    But what's more is that in all the different games I have played I made a character for a specific reason. If it was a warrior then that's what it was Yeah i might have wanted to change the class of warrior maybe but never the entire profession. Why go through all that hard work to level and play that toon just to wipe it and start over as something else when you can just log onto a different toon that is what you feel like playing that day?
    Maybe you have been taking too many puffs on the pipe and need to pass it already.

  4. #4
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lynnea View Post
    ... it seems like a lot of the achievements just come from regular play...
    just to wipe it and start over as something else when you can just log onto a different toon
    The great majority of achievements won't be obtained simply be leveling 1-50, you might earn somewhere around 800-1000 achievement points by 50. The other thousands of points aren't from the normal linear level progression really. I don't mean to wipe your character either, think FF11, if you have ever played that. You retain your level 50 Mage, but if you switch to Warrior you have to start at level 1. Now if you get bored of Warrior, go back to the city and change back to your level 50 Mage. Perhaps it's too foreign if you have never played a game that allows something like this.

  5. #5
    Ascendant nand chan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,336

    Default

    The only problem I can see here is the issue of soulbound items.

    For example, consider the loot ninja who now rolls needs on every single item and justifies it by saying "I play all 4 callings."

  6. #6
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3,665

    Default

    This is of course the 'job' system FFXI has used since 2002 and works very well, I love the idea I have a single character that can switch to any 'class' and level it without having to roll an 'alt' and re-do lots of content in order to unlock parts of the game gated by progression, but that's because FFXI is heavily story-driven and was designed with multi-classing (or changeable dual-classing really) in mind.

    The ethos of that game is also significantly different, so I'm not sure such a class system would work well here.
    Last edited by Kerin; 04-28-2011 at 12:36 AM.

  7. #7
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    107

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nand chan View Post
    The only problem I can see here is the issue of soulbound items.

    For example, consider the loot ninja who now rolls needs on every single item and justifies it by saying "I play all 4 callings."
    That could, presumably, be pretty simply (at least conceptually simply) handled by requiring you to be fulfilling the role in order to roll on the gear. If you're tanking as a warrior, you are able to roll on shields and plate. If you're DPSing as a mage, you can roll on staves and cloth.

    Taking it a step further, as an alternate to the simple need before greed roll setup, perhaps the roll types could be Need, Off-spec Need, or Greed. This way, you could tank your way to mage gear, but you would be a lower priority roll than a need roll. Of course, like any roll system, it ends up reliant on the honor system to work.

  8. #8
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    28

    Default

    I must say I love this idea, mainly for two reasons:
    1: Achievements are bound to character, not player.
    2: Artifacts are bound to character, not player.
    Result: The more time and effort you put into a character, if you care about artifacts and achievements, the less fun it becomes to create a new character and play it, as alt or main. It rather feels like a waste of time, since you could be improving the character you already have so much on even more.

    I vote for either this or that artifacts and achievements are made player bound.

  9. #9
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    214

    Default

    I like the idea, since I played FFXI and enjoyed being able to go back and switch between a tank, dps, kiter, etc depending upon what I wanted to do or needed to become.

    The problem with this, however, is that there will always be that idiot that rolls on everything just because they can be everything.

    Though, if they did implement this, they would seriously have to give us quite a few more soul slots to work with...

  10. #10
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    99

    Default

    I like the idea myself, since when I first heard about Rift I imagined making a mage with melee survivability. Sure I wouldn't be so powerful as a full mage or full tank, but I've always wanted to be the fire mage casting fireballs from behind a tower shield.

    Riftblade just doesn't scratch that itch.

    Wait a second.
    You're not talking about having souls from different callings available at the same time are you?..

    Dang.
    Last edited by Crystal Witch; 04-28-2011 at 03:48 AM. Reason: Realisation.
    Eastern Standard Time (Australia)
    is 15 hours ahead of
    Eastern Standard Time (North America)
    which is 5 hours behind
    Coordinated Universal Time (UTC)
    which is the same as
    Greenwich Mean Time (GMT)

  11. #11
    Plane Walker Squeegee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    474

    Default

    Meh, you need to lvl your crafters to 50 anyways, so this is moot I think.
    Shut your pie hole!!!

  12. #12
    Rift Disciple Ankhi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    152

    Default

    I like this idea a lot. Rift is the first MMO that I find myself uninterested in playing alts. The toons are interchangeable except for the playstyle of the souls. Personally, I've decided not to make alts for crafting when so many of the good recipes require rep or expert dungeon runs. With the re-playability so low unless you switch factions, this is a great idea. It won't happen, but it's a good idea.

  13. #13
    Prophet of Telara Albane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,163

    Default

    How about something more like what WAR did, allow people who have reached max level to make new characters at level 30+?

    This way you know that level 50 cleric has at least some experience with a cleric and didn't just make a new calling today.

  14. #14
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gudrad View Post
    Curious to see what player's thoughts are on this. General idea is that you start as one calling and sometime later, similar to unlocking souls, you unlock the ability to switch between callings. It wouldn't have to be done on the fly, it could require you to go to Sanctum/Meridian to switch your calling. I think this would help game longevity and mitigates certain issues.

    Suppose you get a Mage to level 50 and then you switch to Warrior calling in the city starting at level 1, but on the same character. Also, suppose you would be able to repeat all quests again on the new calling. A feature like this would make faction grinding less painful. This way you could also keep your achievements on one character instead of repeating some of the dreadful ones such as kill 10,000 cultists, and who wants to collect all artifact sets a second, third, or fourth time? Is there a reason a feature like this would be bad? Thoughts?
    This is a great idea.
    /signed.

  15. #15
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Albane View Post
    How about something more like what WAR did, allow people who have reached max level to make new characters at level 30+?

    This way you know that level 50 cleric has at least some experience with a cleric and didn't just make a new calling today.
    Pretty sure the intent would be to level from 1-50 on the new calling and keep it stored on the same toon.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts