+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is GoS PVP or PVE or Both

Default Is GoS PVP or PVE or Both

I'm just trying to understand it's intended role.

It's a stationary thing, which would lend itself meant for PvE.
    Mobility, is generally a PvP thing.

Though, the stuns seem to be a PvP thing. Most bosses are immune to stun effects.

The damage reduction seems to be a pvp thing, most mages are at range and are rarely affected by getting hit unless something is going very bad.

seems more of of a pvp thing, though the staying still part is a bit boggling to me.

Ascendant

you are right i demand GoS be a buff on the mage with which he is allowed to go anywhere he wants you know.....for the sake of balance.
    The artist formerly known as Daroof

Mofugga-bethlam

Shadowlander

If you try playing a few MMOs, it will become less boggling. Casters require time to cast a number of spells. Standing on the ground effect grants bonuses. You can also remove a ground effect and convert it into a damage reduction shield.

In PvP, most casters try to find areas where they can post up and nuke the hell out of enemies. The ground spells are very conducive to this. When it's time to run, they can give themselves a nice bit of mitigation to help them survive the close-quarters.

Quote Originally Posted by pags411 View Post
    If you try playing a few MMOs, it will become less boggling. Casters require time to cast a number of spells. Standing on the ground effect grants bonuses. You can also remove a ground effect and convert it into a damage reduction shield.

In PvP, most casters try to find areas where they can post up and nuke the hell out of enemies. The ground spells are very conducive to this. When it's time to run, they can give themselves a nice bit of mitigation to help them survive the close-quarters.
    Presuptions.. I'm fairly certain the quantity of MMO's I have played out match your experiance. I was BBS'in in MajorMud and TW2002 while you were in pampers.

However, beyond your pathetic attempt to attack and respond. I can see what you mean.. Basically a portable firing position.
    Last edited by Bostish; 04-25-2011 at 11:33 AM.

Ascendant

Right now there are almost no reasons to go more than 32 pts into pyro in PVE. Other souls offer more incentives to spend those points so I almost never ever use GOS.

GOS does have minor uses in some dungeon instances to prevent knockbacks, stuns etc from boss mobs, but it is still not enough to offset the DPS you would lose to spec that far into pyro.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonDragn View Post
    Right now there are almost no reasons to go more than 32 pts into pyro in PVE. Other souls offer more incentives to spend those points so I almost never ever use GOS.

GOS does have minor uses in some dungeon instances to prevent knockbacks, stuns etc from boss mobs, but it is still not enough to offset the DPS you would lose to spec that far into pyro.
    Thank you for the type of responce I was looking for. So, it really isn't being used by the majority of PvE players? Part of my curiosity, if a nerf was to come to GoS would the PvE players really be affected.
    Last edited by Bostish; 04-25-2011 at 11:37 AM.

You could theoretically use it in pve, but cc immunity and stuns from GoS aren't that useful in a boss fight. If you're using it for damage mitigation in a boss fight, you're dead already...so..yeah, mostly a pvp thing.
    Red ball + fulminate + really craptacular dom/pyro spec trying to hard cast transmog and pray your spell lands before some squirrel punching moron eats your controlled opp proc = +1 board warrior keeping mages from being realistically balanced in PVE or PVP. 1.0-1.2's best combo in the game. RIP FOTM Pyro rollers

Rift Chaser

you're either using strength or power, if you're not casting one of them as a pyro then you're doing something wrong. Either one of them trashes your mobility.

I use power for trash and bosses that I know wont end up attacking me and strength for bosses that I do know might attack me just to make the healers jobs easier.

Bear in mind every 30? seconds (unless I'm remembering wrong, might be 60) you can use the shield ability to pick them up and insta cast them somewhere else.. and even if you don't then it's less than 2 seconds to go drop one somewhere else.. You don't really feel trapped in one place unless you're fearing being cc'd the second you step out of the circle.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by MoonDragn View Post

what this guy is saying is true though.

it's just I use all my 4 roles for different things, so I end up running dps in instances sometimes as full pyro (from using a pvp pyro spec) most instances I run as chloro.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostish View Post
    Thank you for the type of responce I was looking for. So, it really isn't being used by the majority of PvE players? Part of my curiosity, if a nerf was to come to GoS would the PvE players really be affected.
    It goes beyond that. Pyro is just bad in pve in general. It's greatly outshined by stormcaller and necro/lock builds. Very few raiding mages bother with it at all. A few points in pyro can be useful for 51 pt archon builds, but that's about it.

The tree right now is basically a pvp only soul (along with dom.)

The ground effect mechanic actually works badly in a raiding context -- too many fights require movement. Worse yet, a pyro doesn't any more damage standing in that little circle than a stormcaller or necro/lock do with no ground effect. Less in fact. Pyro's sustained dps just isn't ready for raiding prime time.

All this has been lost in the huge pvp related uproar.

I would like to thank you for the replies. I don't play a mage, if I did most likely would be chloro. However, understanding things does make it a lot more clearer on the current barrage of arguments.

I'm never a fan of PvP uproar causing PvE nerfs. I do PvP and will just as well PvE, like I said though.. I don't like when the lines cross (ghostbuster reference) and affect each other.

While a Pyro "can" be good in experts and raids, they will be just that, merely good.

The pyro's mana regen is from the enhanced regen in the Grounds, and Smoldering Powders reducing costs.
    A Pyro/Lock can achieve and sustain DPS due to the internal SacLife:Mana and Reconstruction effects, and will get a +20% damage bonus on the move, versus the pure pyros 30% stationary.

The Necro/Lock, SC/Ele, SC/Lock, all can surpass the Pyro's PvE DPS and bring group utility as well.

+ Reply to Thread