+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mage or Cleric?

Soulwalker

Default Mage or Cleric?

Guys im planning on rolling a cleric or a Mage, but I cant seem to choose between the 2 so thats why YOU as the community get to leave your suggestions and opinions of why I should go that class and the pros and cons of it.

Would be greatly appreciated if no trolling was done (: but if there is then thats ok to!

3/8 Cleric souls melee stuff. As oppose to 0 mage souls.
    3/8 Cleric souls are pure back line healers with near 0 offensive capability.

I like my Cleric better solo. I like the mage a lot better in 5-mans.

Rift Chaser

I have one of each at 50.

I prefer healing in warfronts on a cleric.
    I prefer healing in instances as a mage.

As an explanation, I find throwing bolts at people in warfronts grabs that persons attention, the chances of me being left alone to heal in warfronts jumps massively as a cleric.. of course you still get focused but in random pug warfronts a lot of the time you don't attract attention as a cleric as much because you're stood at the back seemingly not doing much.

As for instances, I find healing with a chloro to be a lot less stressful, you're constantly aoeing and topping people up and doing big single target heals.. cleric's have much more potential to be amazing though.. I honestly believe the skill cap for playing a chloro is lower than a cleric and an amazing cleric healer will put an amazing chloro healer to shame.. because at the end of the day there's only so many buttons at your disposal as a chloro.

I prefer dpsing in warfronts as a mage.
    I don't have a preference in instances.

Mages are more fun to kill with. This is entirely personal preference. Go pyro, get a lot of killing blows, go dominator and you feel like you're messing with the entire enemy team.. obviously there's going to be players that adore cleric's for killing people in warfronts, you'd have to play both to find out which you are.

I prefer world pvp as a cleric.

While I don't die very often to enemy players 1 vs 1 as a warlock / chloro which is my soloing / aoe build, it's absolutely not as safe and overpowered as when I log in as my cleric with his justicar / shaman / inquis spec, when playing my cleric I feel like I have an excellent chance at killing absolutely anyone.. except the fights take ages.

I can tank as a cleric also.
    Last edited by Anchor; 04-25-2011 at 11:13 AM.

I love my cleric. It's versatile and survivable.

I leveled to 50 on Inquisitor / Justicar / Purifier. I grabbed Justicar first for self healing, but only put 12 points into it, alternating with Inquisitor, and then focusing the balance into Inquisitor. Lots of ranged single target damage, and some happy fun AoE between Soul Drain and Circle of Oblivion. A few points in Purifier for the shield which is great at low levels but I'm thinking of dumping anymore. All around good DPS with some utility and off heals in a pinch.

I have a tank role with Justicar / Sentinel / Purifier. It's good to have an in-demand role available, especially for guildies, though I need more gear before I can go for experts.

I have a flag toting pvp build with high Justicar / mid Purifier / low Templar. Between my shield, bubble, break free and cleanse, a couple heals, and a stun and a root, I can usually football push my way out of the enemy base in Whitefall, or protect someone else doing it.

I tried a healing spec in the late 30s but I just couldn't learn all new buttons when I had so many, and I wasn't very interested in healing anyway. I might try again with some patient guildmates, or find something I can faceroll in PvP.

If you don't want rogues and warriors rudely attempting to order you to heal WFs when you feel like going dps that day, do what I'm about to do-ditch the cleric and roll a mage. You can heal if you want to, and you'll get less attitude if you don't feel like it!

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by joanlewiswrites View Post
    If you don't want rogues and warriors rudely attempting to order you to heal WFs when you feel like going dps that day, do what I'm about to do-ditch the cleric and roll a mage. You can heal if you want to, and you'll get less attitude if you don't feel like it!
    or you can do what i do and ignore them. wf is full or cryers no matter what calling you are

Quote Originally Posted by Malix View Post
    or you can do what i do and ignore them. wf is full or cryers no matter what calling you are
    Well, I do ignore it. The first few times. But between getting face rolled by premades while doing my best to heal, kill the fang carrier and/or the other side's healers, protect our healers, and in general try to do whatever I think needs doing that no one else is trying to do, the added yap from my own team was starting to stress me out, mostly because it's so stupidly inaccurate. I lose WFs on both sides that have healers because even WF pugs with healers usually aren't going to beat a premade. That's just how it is.

So I give up. They win. I won't run a cleric in a pug anymore, or at least not for a good long while. And if anyone gives my mage grief about not going chloro every match, I will roll a pyro on the other side as a one purpose toon, that purpose being sweet, fiery revenge.

Of course, when I do that, I know I'll never once get matched against the terripug I was just in. I'll get matched against a premade instead.

Funny how that happens...

*Edit* I think I'll roll two toons, run them through low levels, and screen shot the final killboard for awhile to prove that not only are premades not being matched against other premades as a rule, the vast majority of the time, they aren't being matched against other premades at all. I assume some bright little jerks figured out how to manipulate the queues?
    Last edited by joanlewiswrites; 04-26-2011 at 05:13 PM.

Soulwalker

I'm kinda of in the same boat as the OP - however, i currently have a level 34 mage.

I'm wondering if I should drop the mage and create a Cleric. When I first started playing Rift...I knew didn't want to play Warrior...and I was never a fan of rogue playing style (sneaky/ganking). It was always between Mage and Cleric for me.

I was wondering if someone with experience in both classes could give me some idea/background on both these class, especially for endgame. Most important, which class is more fun in your opinion?

I just need to figure out if I should stay with the mage until level 50 or drop it now and go to cleric...i don't like to make alts...i like having 1 main toon and that's it...i can't replay content.

Soulwalker

^^^^ In addition to my comment above ^^^

My Personal Preference:

- I don't like pets...or having to rely on them
    - I like to be able to self-heal..but not be forced to heal others every time (ie: priests)...
    - I like to have ranged attacks/spells as well as melee
    - I don't like boring/simply classes...ie: button mashing
    - Having survivability/armor is a plus...I don't like being too soft.
    - I don't like DOT damage...I do like solid crit burst damage
    - I either play a mage-like (guild wars) or shaman-like (WoW) classes in most MMOs.
    - I like hybrid/versatile roles in both pve and pvp

As you can seem some of these preferences are very much mage..while others are very much cleric...maybe I should just level a cleric to 20 or something...(not a fan of wasting time either! arg) =/

Any advice, comments, or thoughts would be appreciated, especially from someone with experience in both classes.

General of Telara

I play both and enjoy both. If I had to pick one though it would be Cleric, because it is the Jack of All Trades.

Plane Touched

If you want to be OP roll a cleric.
    If you want to do everything better then all other classes who specialize in something, role a cleric.
    If you want to have mad survivability and I win buttons in PVP roll a cleric.
    If you want ot heal better then any other class, roll a cleric. (don't worry they will just nerf, I mean "fix" the classes already lower then you with more nerfs.

If you care about having fun, and style...well you wouldn't be asking us.

Sword of Telara

cleric/mage > warrior > rogue

edit:
    just remember BLUE BAR= GOOD!
    Last edited by Nodisplay; 04-27-2011 at 05:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Josiaha View Post
    If you want to be OP roll a cleric.
    If you want to do everything better then all other classes who specialize in something, role a cleric.
    If you want to have mad survivability and I win buttons in PVP roll a cleric.
    If you want ot heal better then any other class, roll a cleric. (don't worry they will just nerf, I mean "fix" the classes already lower then you with more nerfs.

If you care about having fun, and style...well you wouldn't be asking us.
    What key is Iwin bound to? I haven't found that one yet. One vs one, I might be a beast, I don't know because I don't really duel, but for sure I know when I'm in a WF the Iwin button is nowhere to be found. Maybe the Iwin cleric ability is disabled in WFs along with leap, fly a little, run really fast, and turn into a fox?

+ Reply to Thread