+ Reply to Thread

Thread: (Suggestion for Class) BATTLE MAGE

Soulwalker

Default (Suggestion for Class) BATTLE MAGE

I have been keeping an eye on Rift as it looks like a very promising game; however, I have also been searching for MMO's and games that have a class like a battle mage or, melee mage. This class could be a Mage like character that combines arcane magic( or some other kind) with melee to deal DPS, and being as Rift has the souls feature where you can customize your character perhaps a spec of said class could be an arcane tank that uses arcane magic and (magical shields) as well as shields and swords to protect themselves from damage. I think this would be great and if this game had a class like that I would drop all other MMO's and get this one. Thanks for reading, and post any ideas, suggestions about it!

The Nightblade is pretty close to a Battlemage.
    "Live as brave men; and if fortune is adverse, front its blows with brave hearts."

I think you can find what you're looking for in the cleric archetype. While not a mage, they have souls such as an Inquistor who combine magic and melee.
    It is an ironic habit of human beings to run faster when we have lost our way.
    -Me? I am Someone, Somebody. Anybody. Anyone.

Soulwalker

Well I was thinking more along the lines of Arcane magic, as holy( light, or whatever kind it is) magic just does not do it for me. And while the nightblade has some magic/melee i am not the rogue/duel wield/stealth kind of guy. I like my sword and shield and my magic( I would prefer if one MMO could properly combine them into a combo I like, think the Arcane Warrior in dragon age origins, I have never had more fun playing anything in any mmo or RPG since)

Your calling will most likely limit your armour type, so the casters will be wearing dresses again, so you'd need a buff to be a melee based class and it wouldn't really make sense.

I'm expecting tanks to have at least one arcane tank, the reaver is in a way a arcane tank, but there might be another one.
    A arcane melee class would have to be either a rogue or a cleric. clerics don't all use divine magic, druids use arcane powers (depending on the system, but it's in most games actually closer arcane magic with the power to heal too). If the bloodmage is released, it will be using arcane magic too.

So a battlemage/arcane warrior etc will probably not be a mage, unless one soul can make players wear better armour or give good armour buffs. Expect arcane magic to be added as a soul thingie in the other 3 callings.

Quote Originally Posted by Jalaris View Post
    I have been keeping an eye on Rift as it looks like a very promising game; however, I have also been searching for MMO's and games that have a class like a battle mage or, melee mage. This class could be a Mage like character that combines arcane magic( or some other kind) with melee to deal DPS, and being as Rift has the souls feature where you can customize your character perhaps a spec of said class could be an arcane tank that uses arcane magic and (magical shields) as well as shields and swords to protect themselves from damage. I think this would be great and if this game had a class like that I would drop all other MMO's and get this one. Thanks for reading, and post any ideas, suggestions about it!
    A class that uses arcane magic would probably be a very offensive character. But since when has an MMO had an offensive class that actually uses a shield for combat, not just armor and stats? The class your describing is a paladin, except they use holy magic.
    Last edited by PsychoticHamster; 08-03-2010 at 07:43 AM.

almost sounds like the nightblade is what you are gonna wanna play. i think it would be awesome if there was a mage tank class
    http://i30.tinypic.com/xpofgk.jpg

+ Reply to Thread