+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New (Experienced) Player - Thoughts on Casters - Mage vs. Cleric - PvP vs. PvE

Default New (Experienced) Player - Thoughts on Casters - Mage vs. Cleric - PvP vs. PvE

Greetings,

I have been playing MMOs since Everquest, have been very enthusiastic about it too, and played everything from the original EQ to EQ2, WoW, EVE, WAR, LOTRO (lifetime), DDO, tons of F2P games and even worked on an MMORPG fansite. I have raided through Sunwell as a Priest in WoW, and in Wotlk and Cataclysm played an Arcane/Frost Mage. I have tried to play melee in many games and it does not fit my personality. I am "ok" with a pet class but prefer a "pure" caster that depends on quick wits and spells and does not have an AI companion doing all the work for them. I don't mind being squishy. I love my EQ2 Wizard and still log in on her sometimes.

How is the healing mechanics in this game? Are healers valid in PvP solo? Or only in a group? Can a healer win in PvP alone? I see there is tons of customization available and wonder should I choose the Mage or Cleric archetype? Which excels in solo PvP? Which excels in group PvP? Which is most wanted and easiest to get a raiding spot with? Which is best for leveling?

The TLDR -

I ALWAYS PLAY CASTERS. I LOVE CASTERS.

In this game what caster is best for solo PvP, group PvP, Getting Raid and Group PvE spots, and best for solo leveling?

Which pure caster class should I choose?

Plane Touched

Mage has a healing soul anyway, Chloromancer. Combine that with Warlock, and you have a raid boss in pvp form.

Rift Disciple

Cleric is overpowered in pretty much any spec, mage is not. Only OP mage spec is pyro. (In PvP that is)
    Last edited by Nakuden; 04-24-2011 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Obsession View Post
    Mage has a healing soul anyway, Chloromancer. Combine that with Warlock, and you have a raid boss in pvp form.
    I had noticed that the Mage had a healing talent structure to choose from.

I had assumed that Chloros would be very weak compared to pure healing Clerics - is this not the case?

Can Chloros heal as well as any Cleric if specced and geared for it?

Also - I appreciate the feedback - as far as Warlocks - do they depend on DoTs in this game like they do in others? I am fine with DoTs IF AND ONLY IF there is enough CC or interrupts available to give the DoTs time to actually kill something before you are mauled.

So that leads to my other question how important is CC in this game and does the Mage or Cleric have better CC offensively? Also is either the Mage or Cleric extremely VULNERABLE to CC?

Can you just be silencenced and slaughted by a rogue?

One of the most ANNOYING things about EQ and even WoW PvP is the Scout/Rogue archetype that can stunlock you and silence you from 100% health to zero health without you as a caster being able to do ANYTHING about it....

Does this game have the typical keyboard faceroll rogue/scout/hunter that uses melee/bows/pets to just tear apart a squishy cloth caster before they can even exit the CC?

So far though it looks like I should roll Mage ---- is this agreed??

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Nakuden View Post
    Cleric is overpowered in pretty much any spec, mage is not. Only OP mage spec is pyro. (In PvP that is)
    What makes the Cleric overpowered?

Could you be specific? Thanks!

lol.. just ignore the fool over me (Nakuden)

Clerics is not OP, im sure he playes a mage him self. I whould advice you to roll a mage. Why? wel its easy. A mage is a bether healer then any cleric soul in many cases and if you roll pyro (you are going to roll pyro since thats the fotm pvp soul atm, and takeing something else whould almost feel like you nerfing your self).

I have a 50 cleric and a lvl 20 mage, from my cleric experience mage have no problem at all getting into groups since they can fit 3 roles: Support (CC/off heal), DPS or main healer. Mage is also the best thing to be in pvp atm.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by stubborn View Post
    What makes the Cleric overpowered?

Could you be specific? Thanks!
    Immortality, that's what makes them overpowered. In group PvP nothing is going to kill a Cleric if he's geared.

Ignore the fool above me. A Cleric can do anything a mage can, plus tanking.
    Last edited by Nakuden; 04-24-2011 at 01:51 PM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by MysticoN View Post

I have a 50 cleric and a lvl 20 mage, from my cleric experience mage have no problem at all getting into groups since they can fit 3 roles: Support (CC/off heal), DPS or main healer. Mage is also the best thing to be in pvp atm.
    And it's hard getting into groups as cleric? Cleric is currently the most wanted class, stop trolling idiot. Mage only got one good PvP spec, rest is crap, and that is Pyro. While Clerics can be pretty much any spec and still dominate.

And a cleric can't fit 3 roles? Off heals, tanking, DPS, healing. That's 4 roles moron. Don't troll if you're so bad at it.
    Last edited by Nakuden; 04-24-2011 at 01:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakuden View Post
    Immortality, that's what makes them overpowered. In group PvP nothing is going to kill a Cleric if he's geared.

Ignore the fool above me. A Cleric can do anything a mage can, plus tanking.
    Dammit, once you said that I was looking everywhere for our "I win 2 shot button", couldn't find one anywhere! Plx giv hint!

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Refuge View Post
    Dammit, once you said that I was looking everywhere for our "I win 2 shot button", couldn't find one anywhere! Plx giv hint!
    Stop being bad and l2p.

never said that cleric had problem getting into groups. Just told OP what i belive him to like the most.

Mage only got one good PvP spec, rest is crap
    So Chorlo/lock is crap for pvp? What about stormcaller? have you ever tested anything else then pyro?

Edit and cleric is by no way unkilleble in pvp. Mage or warrior have no problem to kill me 1vs1 (ofthen going to be 1vs1 bq in PU group pvp players realy dont care if the healer die).
    Last edited by MysticoN; 04-24-2011 at 02:02 PM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by MysticoN View Post
    never said that cleric had problem getting into groups. Just told OP what i belive him to like the most.

So Chorlo/lock is crap for pvp? What about stormcaller? have you ever tested anything else then pyro?
    Chloro/lock is highly overrated, it's no good down the road. Only thing it's good at is keeping yourself alive. Stormcaller is only good for AoE, and every decent player will move away. Easy kill for melee as well.

wel, from what i understand (own experience), what guild mates and what i read on forums mage have no problem at all getting into group, doing wel in pvp (both whit and whitout pyro). And from what our dear topic starter "history" i think that mage whil be the best chooice.

And when one guy come on the forum and tells him that cleric is op just bq he lost to a cleric specced into tank/healer is just plain stupid. If you as pyro/mage was not able to kill a cleric he whould be A: Higher level B: badly out gear you.

And do you easly kill warriors that are specced for surv/pvp? or a rift/bard rogue?

Ascendant

If you run a PvP clerics and you get 2 shotted by pyro without the redball buff, yea, please learn 2 play. Fact. (actually you are NOT a pvp clerics god knows how you manage to get owned in 2 spells when the "real" pvp clerics seems to run on godmode)

Currently clerics is the jack of all trades. Other than the buff/support clerics can be DPS/Healer/Tank.
    And dont believe those lolclerics telling you they cant melee dps, they melee dps just fine while tanking it pretty well too. Their ranged DPS isnt as good but still wtfpwn Marksmans ranged DPS easy.

Assuming your group has midicore gear, in 5men T2 expert,
    You can do it with 5 clerics easy.
    MAYBE with 5 rogues with a REALLY good bard.
    Mages cant tank and warriors cant heal, that pretty much sums it up.
    Last edited by WarUltima; 04-24-2011 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WarUltima View Post
    If you run a PvP clerics and you get 2 shotted by pyro without the redball buff, yea, please learn 2 play. Fact. (actually you are NOT a pvp clerics god knows how you manage to get owned in 2 spells when the "real" pvp clerics seems to run on godmode)

Currently clerics is the jack of all trades. Other than the buff/support clerics can be DPS/Healer/Tank.
    And dont believe those lolclerics telling you they cant melee dps, they melee dps just fine while tanking it pretty well too. Their ranged DPS isnt as good but still wtfpwn Marksmans ranged DPS easy.

Assuming your group has midicore gear, in 5men T2 expert,
    You can do it with 5 clerics easy.
    MAYBE with 5 rogues with a REALLY good bard.
    Mages cant tank and warriors cant heal, that pretty much sums it up.
    Appreciate all the perspectives on this MMO - I bought the digital download and feel like I am learning quite a bit while waiting on it to finish.

After reading everything it seems Cleric may be interesting - I have a hard time imagining a healer that can tank - LOL.

I wonder if I am being trolled or is a Cleric truly so versatile?

Also seems everyone is hot for Pyro (no pun intended ) - will pyro be nerfed? I went into mage forum and there is constant crying about Pyro = makes me think even if they are good I will waste a lot of time to level and gear one only to have them nerfed into uselessness....

So - thinking Cleric, still not sure... Pyro sounds great - I have just seen the nerf bat come down hard in so many games that are new...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast