+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best Class For New Player?

Telaran

Default Best Class For New Player?

Hello, I have recently bought the game, starting sometime next week, but I want to ask, what is the best Class for a new player like me?

what kinda player are you?

Really you could do with any combination. If you want more information on one of the classes listed below, ask I can even give you a quick build or whatever.

As a cleric, I personally think that starting off with a little bit of Justicar, then going into Shaman (or druid, if you like controlling pets) is a good idea for a new player who likes the flavor of the cleric... You'd be a melee DPS that could heal yourself and others, making you very durable. You won't kill as fast as a pure DPS though, depending on how much you go into justicar

On the other hand, if you prefer mages, I'd suggest a necromancer, warlock, or chloromancer in varying amounts depending on how much you like pets (necro) and like heals (chloromancer).

If you just want to beat stuff down face to face and charge around, warriors aren't hard to level with, either, but they can have downtime if you get adds etc and you want potions ready since adds are fairly common as you get up there in levels. Champions use two handers, beastmasters have a pet to help, and paladins can be fun to level with because they have a lot of reactives. Reavers have a bunch of dots.

If you like rogues, or archers, I would go Ranger/Bard... very quick and easy leveling as Rangers get a nice tanking pet, bards get nice buffs for you and the pet. There are tons of other options here though if you like stealthing or melee instead.
    Last edited by Ethias; 04-24-2011 at 10:01 AM.

First you need to decide which Calling you want to be:

Cleric
    Mage
    Rogue
    Warrior

After that, the "class" is subject to change based on play. Starting out is usually best to take easy leveling specs (which will change as you level, but are strong at level 1):

Cleric - Inquisitor or Shaman/Druid
    Mage - Elementalist or Necro
    Rogue - Ranger
    Warrior - Beastmaster

Now if you are asking about which Calling is good for a new player, I would recommend Cleric. It fills the most roles in party dynamic, is very strong in survivability for soloing, and offers a variety of playstyles from tanking, melee, spell casting, and healer to learn the ropes of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Toogeloo View Post
    First you need to decide which Calling you want to be:

Cleric
    Mage
    Rogue
    Warrior

After that, the "class" is subject to change based on play. Starting out is usually best to take easy leveling specs (which will change as you level, but are strong at level 1):

Cleric - Inquisitor or Shaman/Druid
    Mage - Elementalist or Necro
    Rogue - Ranger
    Warrior - Beastmaster

Now if you are asking about which Calling is good for a new player, I would recommend Cleric. It fills the most roles in party dynamic, is very strong in survivability for soloing, and offers a variety of playstyles from tanking, melee, spell casting, and healer to learn the ropes of the game.
    ^^^ this ... great answer to what is normally a very vague question

Soulwalker

I have also just started playing and I would like to echo Ghartan in giving many, many thanks to Ethias and Toogeloo for such excellent responses to a question I had myself.

I was also wondering something else, and this is as good a place as any to ask...

I purchased a key for my wife, who isn't a gamer. She played WoW for a bit, all low level stuff and all solo, and she enjoyed it quite a bit, so I figured maybe we could run together in Rift and have some fun. So anyway, my question is: what calling/soul combination would be a good place for her to start? I think simplicity is the #1 factor, and #2 is probably dps so she has fun and feels like she's kicking butt. I'd pick up the healer/tank/etc. role. This would be 99% PVE, I may have us roll characters on a PVP server just to get a little bit of World PVP in the mix as we'd be together most of the time anyway.

Thanks for your feedback guys, it's really appreciated!

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Trapper31 View Post
    I have also just started playing and I would like to echo Ghartan in giving many, many thanks to Ethias and Toogeloo for such excellent responses to a question I had myself.

I was also wondering something else, and this is as good a place as any to ask...

I purchased a key for my wife, who isn't a gamer. She played WoW for a bit, all low level stuff and all solo, and she enjoyed it quite a bit, so I figured maybe we could run together in Rift and have some fun. So anyway, my question is: what calling/soul combination would be a good place for her to start? I think simplicity is the #1 factor, and #2 is probably dps so she has fun and feels like she's kicking butt. I'd pick up the healer/tank/etc. role. This would be 99% PVE, I may have us roll characters on a PVP server just to get a little bit of World PVP in the mix as we'd be together most of the time anyway.

Thanks for your feedback guys, it's really appreciated!
    One of the extremely nice things about Rift is the number of options they provide you for character customization. You can buy a second Role (with three different souls) for 30g, and at level 13 you can begin collecting all of the extra souls for your calling. For example, I started my Mage as a Chloro/Ele/Dom, but now I have two Roles, one Chloro and one Necro.

What does this mean for you and your wife? Pick the calling, not the soul, and make your selection based on what that calling can't do. If you never want to tank, go with a Mage (they can heal or dps depending on soul selection). If you never want to main-heal, go with a Warrior (tank or dps). If you want to be able to do anything given the appropriate soul combination, go with a Cleric or Rogue.

Basically it's not going to matter what you pick so long as you work within your limitations (and can make it to level 13).

Shadowlander

Id say to be honest....look at what class you like and see what each soul does. Remember that all classes have a pet class if you don't feel confident but not all pet-classes are equal. Warrior pet classes are really only good if you put points in but then they become awesome. Hunters have 2 kinds of pet (Tanking vs DPS) and Druids pets are a healing pet that...gets a little ...dizzy sometimes. ^_^

In the end, its better to pick something you like rather then asking examples. Part of the fun is playing around with it!

Soulwalker

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback.

ReverendSaintJay - Good advice about choosing what you don't want to do, I've never thought of it that way. It makes perfect sense though, and I love that no matter which calling you pick you aren't limited to only one role.

Worca - I am with you 100% about trying out the different classes. In fact I've created around 7 characters in a week or so to try out a bunch of combinations. I'm trying to find a good balance between complexity, usefulness, and fun, so that it doesn't get too overwhelming for a non-gamer. (Although, my wife can rock the Sims 2 like no one else. If she can juggle a house with 7 people in it in that game, I bet she can handle Rift. It'll just be a little learning curve )

Thanks again!

Well if you like to AoE stuff down and farm mats from mobs, go mage. If you'd like to level fast(no downtime) and have a build with great survivability, go with necromancer/warlock builds.

Elementalist you're going to have a hard time with past 30, your pet won't be keeping aggro on mobs and you'll end up having to scoff pots to keep your health up. Necro/lock you'll get soul purge which let's you solo elites, and mortality, which lets you solo groups of 7+ mobs.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    If I'm gonna pay someone to express contempt for me, it's gonna be a hot chick in leather.

+ Reply to Thread