+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: 4 Roles is totally enough. Thanks Trion!

Rift Chaser

its just more fluff to cover up the obvious problems of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by brucer View Post
    Care to elaborate or you just gonna sit there all angsty-like?
    General Tank Theorycrafting: Have numbers? Post them up!
    http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...eturns-and-You!

Quote Originally Posted by brucer View Post
    The most obvious problem with the game is your attitude, I would say.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Anchor View Post
    This exactly is the whole point behind the character build system in rift.

Some soul combo's will suck at some tasks but be amazing at others.

You can click a button and switch to the right one. They shouldn't have to do the same dps as each other and have the same survivability as each other, switch to the right one for the job you're currently doing.

If when choosing to play for example a mage, you then had to choose a permanent subspec.. like stormcaller or something.. then yeah you'd need to balance that against all the other mage sub specs in some way.. but no.. in this game the only reason you're not playing a stormcaller as a mage is because you personally decided not to.. if it does better aoe dps than the spec you chose there's nothing stopping you from choosing that one instead.
    exactly, and I can easily see them make encounters in the planes have high resistance to certain types of damage. For example raiding the plane of storms with a stormcaller wouldn't be a good idea. This would make certain builds more viable in that case.

I think the # of roles needed is somewhat dependant on the class. A Rogue, for instance, shouldn't need as many roles as a cleric because they can only fulfill 2 or 3 types of roles: melee dps, ranged dps, and support, whereas a cleric will have heals, tank, melee dps, ranged dps, then variations on the 4.

That said, I think 3 or 4 is plenty for everyone. If you can't get what you need with that, then just make another character honestly.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by keiren View Post
    I think the # of roles needed is somewhat dependant on the class. A Rogue, for instance, shouldn't need as many roles as a cleric because they can only fulfill 2 or 3 types of roles: melee dps, ranged dps, and support, whereas a cleric will have heals, tank, melee dps, ranged dps, then variations on the 4.

That said, I think 3 or 4 is plenty for everyone. If you can't get what you need with that, then just make another character honestly.
    You forget that Rogues can be tanks as well. I can easily see a riftstalker build in there. Those are only the pve builds too, what about pvp?

What about a stealth build for those times where you just need to sneak somewhere?

Warrior roles:

1. PvE solo grinding
    2. PvE melee dps
    3. PvE ranged / WotM dps
    4. PvE Dungeon tank, trash/physical
    5. PvE Dungeon tank, magic
    6. PvE Raid tank, physical
    7. PvE Raid tank, magic
    8. PvE Raid tank, support
    9. PvP DPS
    10. PvP Tank/Support

Even cutting out Ranged + Dungeons, I could easily require 6 roles.
    Keep em commin Trion. (though 100p is a bit steep for 5th, some class' and players won't ever need more than 2-3, others who like to experience everything the game offers will want/require many more)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4