+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why are most 51 point talents so crappy?

Plane Walker

Default Why are most 51 point talents so crappy?

I find it a bit annoying that most of the 51 point talents are so weak in this game that its not really worth getting them.

51 Point talents should be really good, like Fulminate, so that getting them is worth it. They shouldn't have huge cooldowns and practically redundant effects.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Ebethil View Post
    I find it a bit annoying that most of the 51 point talents are so weak in this game that its not really worth getting them.

51 Point talents should be really good, like Fulminate, so that getting them is worth it. They shouldn't have huge cooldowns and practically redundant effects.
    I don't know which soul you tried, by on pretty much all my toons, the 50 point talents are great...

Also, cooldown abilities are great.
    Allow you to burst people fast.
    I'll take a great cooldown over a spammable average ability.

meh, some of them are pretty terrible as standalone skills but the problem I see is that you are forced to take bad or even worthless (e.g. threat reduction for a pvp spec) talents to get them. If that is part of the price you pay to get the 51 pointers then yes nearly all of them are not worth it and either the requisite talents or the 51pt itself should be buffed/changed.
    |: Zapafaz - 5x Mage :| |: Kethirus - 50 Cleric :| |: Zahrivesi - Levelling Rogue :| |: Feynara - 2x Warrior :|

- Faeblight ◊ Bahmi -

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ebethil View Post

I agree. Most of them are "so-so". The problem is you end up taking some 5-10 fillers that might TOTALLY suck to get them. One example: You have to max Warden to get the decent 51 point heal. Problem is, to do that, you have to take "Increase damage of your instant cast damaging spells by 10%" Um...I'm a pure healer - if I am going 51 points into a healing tree. I cast my damaging spells like .00000001% of the time.

Cleric side, except for Cabalist, all of the skills at 51 points are useless to me. Most of them 36+ as well. Really, if you get right down to it, the 31's stink too.

Rift Disciple

/signed

I loved the idea of the 51 point warlock build, then I tested it and the dps was horrible compared to almost every other mage spec. Empowered Darkness definitely needs a buff to make the 51 point build more useful and competitive against other mage specs.

Rift Chaser

Agreed, 51 point Stormcaller is the worst 51 point i've seen. Its literally like casting hailstorm with 0 range ontop of yourself, but it consumes charge. And you have to get a bunch of useless stuff to reach it, and deal with a useless 38 and 44 point skill too.

Plane Walker

I'm a Chloromancer, and while the 51 point talent looks extremely cool, you have to pick up so many useless talent points and pass up so many abilities in your other souls to get it that it just isn't worth it at all.

Plane Walker

I think what would help the issue is if every soul had a passive "mastery" bonus that you get when you totally max it out. Cooldowns are great and all, but if you invest so heavily into something you want to get something out of it that defines your playstyle, and is noticable at all times. With a big cooldown ability that just isn't the case. With a powerful passive bonus on the other hand there would be more reason to take a tree all the way up if you really like that tree.

Also it would help if there were a few more talents between 32 and 51, as it stands most trees get only 4-5 extra abilities in the last 20 points you can put in a tree and everything else in the first 30, that right there really detracts from going deep in a soul.

Encouraging people to spread their points around a bit is a good thing, but if it gets to the point where specialization is discouraged for the vast majority of souls it needs some looking at.

If you look at the test server changes to the VK 51 it shows that Trion has no problem totally retooling them into something awesome.

Agreeing with the above. You should be rewarded by specializing or being a generalist, that is currently not the case.
    There is no better cause to fight than the simple need that blood be spilled. Do not fight because you receive reward or praise. Fight because that other bastard exists solely to die at the end of your blade.

Quote Originally Posted by exLupo View Post
    If you look at the test server changes to the VK 51 it shows that Trion has no problem totally retooling them into something awesome.

Agreeing with the above. You should be rewarded by specializing or being a generalist, that is currently not the case.
    Got patch notes for patch server?
    Bye Bye Rift. Say hi to Pyros.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by somerandomnamee View Post
    I don't know which soul you tried, by on pretty much all my toons, the 50 point talents are great...

Also, cooldown abilities are great.
    Allow you to burst people fast.
    I'll take a great cooldown over a spammable average ability.
    You mustn't have a Rogue, then. The only good 51 pt talents are Bard, Riftstalker and Sabo very situationally. The rest either have nothing to do with the tree (Nightblade), require missing mandatory skills in other souls for a questionable return on investment (Assassin, Bladedancer, Ranger), or limit the tree's already bad functionality (Marksman).

I'm not sure Dominator, Archon, or Chloro talents are that good, either.
    Kashta, 50 Rogue / Gwythiant, 41 Cleric / Ampere, 37 Mage

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Melkrow View Post
    Got patch notes for patch server?
    http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...s-for-Warriors.

The VK 51 point talent is just *awesome*.
    Kashta, 50 Rogue / Gwythiant, 41 Cleric / Ampere, 37 Mage

Plane Walker

Yea, a toggle buff that gives a permanent increase in effectiveness to the character is a heck of a lot better than an ability with a big cooldown which isn't consistent enough to really be useful in PvE and is either really lame and overpowered in PvP or a total nonfactor.

+ Reply to Thread