+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Warlock Casting

Default Warlock Casting

So, in the warlock discription Trion stated that warlocks eat away at their opponents. Does this mean their won't be a straight up casting dps for warlock?

that just means if you want nukes you might want to suppliment your lock soul with a pyromancer
    "Few are selected to to gaze into the chasm that gave us our power, most are devoured from within, yet a chosen few have the will to walk away from such discord and torment with the true knowledge of what we serve. Transformed with eyes of pure hatred, of utter disdain, bound to its will, the embodiment of a demon. And I, the greatest of its children, am here to show you true pain..." -Maerawn

We don't know much about the locks and the description leaves a lot of room for speculation. I can only assume that it will be a primarily dot casting class with a couple nukes in it.

Want a Melee Mage? Support the Theurgist!

I read it as they were debuff/dot, but I suppose that is the beauty of this game is you can have your cake and eat it to.

I don't think it's safe to assume that Warlocks (or any class for that matter) are going to be this or that. I've read a bit about the Class/Soul system and I think that even if a Warlock starts out as a DoT class, or a debuff class, that can be easily outgrown. For example, (if I'm correct) you can be a Mage > Warlock > Elementalist and when you get down far enough in the Elementalist tree, you'd have the choice to select a few nukes to even out the balance, which would mean that Warlocks would have the option of using medium-power DoTs, with the added flavor of (maybe?) long-recast high-power nukes.

I'm kind of just going from the top of my head here because I'm not really familiar with how either the Warlock or the Elementalist class really work since I (or anyone else) haven't had any first hand experience. But my impression is that this is the general idea of the system.

It is not very clear how it will work. There are 3 kind of castings

1/ DOTs ones, who do a lot of damages on mobs with high HPs because of the adding effects of each spell.
    2/ AE ones for mob who are grouped, or in the same aera
    3/ DIRECT DAMAGES with big booms. With a 2d version of that one for Bosses : the exponential spell , that increase damages each time it is cast - for 10/15 times - (e.g. CHAOS in Vanguard)

In MMOs, we already saw mages being much better with one of this category, even if able to use some spells from another one.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Alyvrae View Post
    I don't think it's safe to assume that Warlocks (or any class for that matter) are going to be this or that. I've read a bit about the Class/Soul system and I think that even if a Warlock starts out as a DoT class, or a debuff class, that can be easily outgrown. For example, (if I'm correct) you can be a Mage > Warlock > Elementalist and when you get down far enough in the Elementalist tree, you'd have the choice to select a few nukes to even out the balance, which would mean that Warlocks would have the option of using medium-power DoTs, with the added flavor of (maybe?) long-recast high-power nukes.

I'm kind of just going from the top of my head here because I'm not really familiar with how either the Warlock or the Elementalist class really work since I (or anyone else) haven't had any first hand experience. But my impression is that this is the general idea of the system.
    Elementalist is a pet class, and hopefully will not have any nukes or DoTs at all (yes, those are my hopes).
    The warlock does seam to be the DoT / curse class, from the description that is.

A warlock can really go every way. It can be a dd class with dot effects, it can be a AOE class, it can be a classic dot class with curses. Too early to make the call as of yet. The game is just not out yet and unlike the rogue the wizard and the necro it's harder to call a warlock and say it will do this or that. They never really got their role set in stone and they always tend to switch from game to game.

Let's wait for more infos, pax and the gamescon or whatever it was will be here soon, hopefully with some info from the other callings, though more rogue info wouldn't hurt me ;).

Shadowlander

Sounds like your dotting class though. Will be cool to see how far in you have to go to get the good stuff to be able to supplement a more burst dps class effeciently

+ Reply to Thread