+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bleed effects

Soulwalker

Default Bleed effects

Possibly a stupid question but... why use bleed effects when a comparable INSTANT attack does more damage? For example, BM's 3 attack point bleed does less than the Champions 3 attack point instant. Why ever bother with a bleed DoT?

I know nothing about Warriors, but off the top of my head, maybe the tooltip damage for the bleed is lower because bleeds aren't mitigated by armor? So maybe the tooltip damage on the direct hit is higher, but more of it is likely to be mitigated?

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Sevenlewis View Post
    Possibly a stupid question but... why use bleed effects when a comparable INSTANT attack does more damage? For example, BM's 3 attack point bleed does less than the Champions 3 attack point instant. Why ever bother with a bleed DoT?
    I can't speak for all bleeds in general or even BM specifically, but a lot of times bleeds will either do more dmg OR your other attacks will do more dmg in the presence of bleed effects. My warrior is only level 21 and i know BM has at least one attack that does more dmg when there are more bleed effects present.

However, if you don't feel that's enough of a reason to use a single attack, then don't use the bleed :-p

Bleeds should generally do more damage than instant damage. For example, Assassin's Impale does significantly more damage over it's duration than any other Assassin finishers. Same with Spike Charges for Sabos, they do more damage than any other charge.

The trade-off is that you only get the full benefit if you let the bleeds tick for the full duration, so you can't just spam it.

But yea if you have an instant ability that does more damage that a bleeds total damage it's probably better to use that.

Soulwalker

Cheers guys, thanks for the input.

Pylades I think MIGHT be onto something. The tool tip for the bleed is around 80 damage less than the tool tip for the instant, BUT maybe the bleed isn't physical damage? Possibly overall it'll do more damage to armored targets? If not then I may as well do the damage all at once with the instant. Maybe this needs to be changed? ;p

Telaran

Bleeds also pull rogues out of stealth, so Slip Away is pretty useless when any DoT is on them.

Bleeds are the bomb when soloing as a Sin/RS since you can put on powerful bleeds and still have time to build up your five combo points for your post-death heal before the enemy goes down.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Osserc View Post
    Bleeds also pull rogues out of stealth, so Slip Away is pretty useless when any DoT is on them.

Bleeds are the bomb when soloing as a Sin/RS since you can put on powerful bleeds and still have time to build up your five combo points for your post-death heal before the enemy goes down.
    That's interesting about the stealth. But, if that powerful bleed does less damage than an instant, costs the same number of attack points and power why use the bleed? You can still build up your combo points, it's just the damage was done 5 secs ago all at once.

Edit: Spelling.
    Last edited by Sevenlewis; 04-21-2011 at 05:05 PM.

There are a couple reasons why you would use a bleed. First off, they generally do about 25% more damage then their dd counterparts (and scale better on rank up) and even if they did the same damage they would help taking down healed targets. For example

GCD 1
    you hit for 100
    target gets healed by 100 from air heals

GCD 2
    you hit for 100
    target gets healed by 100 from air heals.... Repeat ad nauseum

or

GCD 1
    you bleed for 100
    target gets healed for 0 (100 over heal)

GCD 2
    you dd for 100
    bleed ticks for 25 (75 worth of dot left to tick)
    target gets healed for 100

you've now with the same skill damaged through the heal... get the picture?

Bleeds add to pressure, and last awhile on the target. It is a debuff, and generally in PvP, debuffing your enemy is a good idea. You can think of the bleed as a way to "lock in" damage during lulls in up time, and then serve a second purpose of effectively increasing the damage your abilities are doing by the amount the bleed is ticking during up time. You use bleeds because you are not going to be able to chain instants together against good pvper's, so you use abilities that are going to leave a mark when you cant actively hit them.

That said, dont go around putting bleeds on several targets, or you make them very hard to CC and peel.
    Last edited by ShalarLight; 04-21-2011 at 08:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rizaz View Post
    FYI Riftstalker running isn't even pve. .... You might as well call riftstalker running PVE.

Soulwalker

Thanks for the feedback guys, it's making more sense. The thing I don't understand is why use a 3 attack power bleed when it does a lot LESS than the instant. So, in the case Slaave is talking about, when the bleed is attacking through the heal, as you put it, it still isn't doing the same amount of damage I could have done all at once. The instant hits for almost 80 more damage than the entire bleed.

And in the other case Shalarlight put forward, I like hitting a character and knowing they're going to keep hurting even while running away, but what's the point if in that same chance to hit you did get you could have done 150% damage compared to the bleed?

+ Reply to Thread