+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mage vs cleric DPS

Soulwalker

Default Mage vs cleric DPS

Hello all,

I am stuck between choosing a mage or a cleric to level. I currently have both at level 25 and as of now Mage tends to do more damage then my cleric does (using inquisitor). Anyways my question is does this still seem to be the case at later levels or does cleric start to match Mage dps wise?

inquisitors can come pretty darn close to mage dmg, if not better than some mages, and they are getting some buffs next patch too. Just play whichever seems to suit you better and you have more fun with, nothing is ever top dmg forever, things get nerfs and buffs so just pick what you enjoy.

Depends really.

Cleric caster style DPS is kinda limited and tends to get old after awhile because, at least while leveling, Inq is your only viable option. Combined with Justicar and Sentinel though, you become a completely self-sustained god of solo PvE. However most of your damage is done up close with SD and CoO, so you aren't even really too much of a caster style. Caba when at fifty is great ranged DPS, but not till later levels.

Mages have a lot of variety in their ranged dps (ele/war/necro/pyro/storm) and have more utility (chloro/domi/archon) so that may be the way to go, but from what I understand AoE solo PvE revolves around the Greater tank pet from elementalist, so at least then you are actually casting at the mobs from a distance.

I personally like being able to tank when needed, so cleric was the way for me.
    Vae Victis

General of Telara

yeah we got alot of variety BUT

80% of the time when you go in a T1/T2 you are asked to be chloro or ****.
    10% of the time they want you to be archon since it bring so much.
    10% of the time you are in a group that dont know what they are doing and does not care what you do since they fail horribly.

So yeah we got alot of diversity!

Well it is a joke but it is truth at the same time.

As a cleric you can main heal, off heal, tank, ranged DPS and melee DPS
    As a mage you can main heal, off heal, ranged DPS

The diversity from the mage is like a cleric, you cannot use every role for every situation. You cant go as a Dominator to be DPS in a dungeon. So even if people think mage souls are all about dps and all do good, grass is always greener, you are stuck in some role/combo to perform.

Soulwalker

Thank you all for the responses. I think I may stick with cleric for the time as my wife has decided to level a Mage. That way there is no fighting for gear!

Quote Originally Posted by darkchicken View Post
    yeah we got alot of variety BUT

80% of the time when you go in a T1/T2 you are asked to be chloro or ****.
    10% of the time they want you to be archon since it bring so much.
    10% of the time you are in a group that dont know what they are doing and does not care what you do since they fail horribly.

So yeah we got alot of diversity!
    80% of the time Clerics are asked to Heal.
    10% of the time Clerics are asked to Tank.
    10% of the time no one cares cuz the group fails.

Interesting correlation.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by holach View Post
    Thank you all for the responses. I think I may stick with cleric for the time as my wife has decided to level a Mage. That way there is no fighting for gear!
    Ya, the cleric is probably a better choice then

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Toogeloo View Post
    80% of the time Clerics are asked to Heal.
    10% of the time Clerics are asked to Tank.
    10% of the time no one cares cuz the group fails.

Interesting correlation.
    Thats 100% 0.o

+ Reply to Thread