+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Best Tanking Class

Cool Best Tanking Class

Hey guys, in your opinion what is the best tanking class, Paladin, Riftstalker, or Justicar? And why do you think they are the best...Threat, Survivablity.....

Riftstalker probably because they have high survivability than most. More bubbles and better AoE threat generating attacks
    Last edited by klokz; 04-17-2011 at 05:47 AM.

Telaran

Rogues. Because teleporting around the battlefield is just pure fun.

Rogues, because they can tank Greenscale...

Depends what you want to tank. "best" is very up for debate. Rogues are probably the best single target tanks, but they're very busy. Have to keep all your stuff up.

Warriors, in order to be comparable have to be even busier. Or they can spec easymode and hit two buttons and tank effectively.

Clerics I have only basic knowledge of, but from what I'm told by my holdouts, they're kind of in the middle. easy rotations, mitigation about midrange compared to different warrior souls (like in between a reaver threat build and a void knight mitigation build).

Pure magic damage fights warriors are king though with a 53/58% magic reduction build.

The best thing about rift is with so many souls the best tank is the one sleeved specifically for that boss fight, and although rogues are better in general, warriors have more customizing. Nothing like seeing a warrior tank in kings breach able to stand still on manticors and immune to konstantin's spikes

Warning/apology: typed from my phone so wording or punctuation might be odd

Soulwalker

Cleric by far.

Points being...

Best aggro control (spammable AE + spammable range taunt)
    Self heals
    Group heals
    Self cure
    Purge
    Bubbles
    Equal or highest mitigation
    Can swap to main heals for other groups
    Can swap to DPS for other groups
    Can swap to support/heals for other groups
    Unlimited resource pool and never energy starved

And I'm a rogue tank currently, leveling a cleric.

And this "can tank GSB" stuff... so can every other tank.

If you want to try a rogue tank, wait till 1.2 and see if they fix our AoE aggro issues before you do. Properly geared/skilled T2 DPS will pull off you in a moment in T2 AoE packs. Anyone that tells you otherwise is dealing with crappy DPSers.
    Last edited by Iriax; 04-17-2011 at 10:34 PM.

Paladin/VoidKnight/Warlord.

14.4K armor, 700 block and 10k HP self buffed.

All the ranged, single target, AOE target, pulls and mitigation you could want.
    We're recruiting, click on my banner. ♥

Champion

Probably Warrior, followed by Riftstalker. Justicar is a distant third. I've seen fights a Justicar simply can't tank (due to limited mobility). I've seen fights that Riftstalkers had problems with (anything where your tanking finishers can fall off due to RNG CC). I've never seen a fight that a Warrior couldn't tank.
    Kashta, 50 Rogue / Gwythiant, 41 Cleric / Ampere, 37 Mage

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Iriax View Post
    If you want to try a rogue tank, wait till 1.2 and see if they fix our AoE aggro issues before you do. Properly geared/skilled T2 DPS will pull off you in a moment in T2 AoE packs. Anyone that tells you otherwise is dealing with crappy DPSers.
    I ran xAP just now with a full Stormcaller who outgeared me by two tiers. The only times I lost aggro were when I tunnel visioned a single target. Keeping AOE threat as a Riftstalker is challenging...sure, our AOE threat gen could use a buff...but it's not impossible.
    Last edited by Ampere; 04-17-2011 at 11:02 PM.
    Kashta, 50 Rogue / Gwythiant, 41 Cleric / Ampere, 37 Mage

Soulwalker

I don't understand why any rogue would have trouble with aoe aggro. You don't have to use a spec designed for single target tanking for aoe packs. There's a lot of options for additional aoe damage outside of the cookie-cutter tanking specs. You have multiple options and styles for opening with aoe damage. You have additional moves for aoe damage during a fight to the point where you can basically spam nothing but aoe damage. It's not hard.

If anyone needs help with aoe it's clerics. Even justice is about the most boring and limited attack. It wouldn't be such a big deal if leadership didn't have that huge 40% penalty. But even then the cleric is much more limited than rogue and warrior.
    Last edited by Sturfer; 04-18-2011 at 12:00 AM.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Iriax View Post
    Cleric by far.

Points being...

Best aggro control (spammable AE + spammable range taunt)
    Self heals
    Group heals
    Self cure
    Purge
    Bubbles
    Equal or highest mitigation
    Can swap to main heals for other groups
    Can swap to DPS for other groups
    Can swap to support/heals for other groups
    Unlimited resource pool and never energy starved

And I'm a rogue tank currently, leveling a cleric.

And this "can tank GSB" stuff... so can every other tank.

you raelly dont have any idea about justicars do you?

first the dont have a 'spammable range taunt'. In fact their only aoe taunt is on 1min cd.

secondly: the self cleanse is if you play justicar/sent with this you lose mitigration, SHARE a cd with your healer, and lose a ton of aggro managment.*

thridy: the purge is if you play junt/inq10, inq 10 hurts you mitigration, hurts your threat, but gives you a purge, something that warrior tanks get for almost free.*

forth:bubbles? really? they get 1 bubble with 2k hp and 1 min cd that requires gcd, they usually have another one that has 800hp. 800hp is not mitigration at t2, it is just for just before the pull.*

fifth: selfheals: it is about 50hps on single target. more if you spam healing on you but then you offer 0 dps and really cant do that since at most is 1/4 gcd. you need 1 conviction every 7secs to refresh precept +1 conviction/heal. so you need 2attacks +1heal+1precept to be able to keep up with conviction usage if you try to heal. Also they heal for ~400-450hp, so that come as ~100hp/gcd ~70hps, pretty small.

unlimitd resources: true most times, in magic bosses that last more than 5-6mins fights you need mana potions though.

best mitigration: one of the best PHYSICAL mitigration, the downright WORST mitigration for magic damage that in t2+ is everywhere.

also, worst scalling after t1 atm. They cap their parry with t1 gear, meaning that after that they gain less mitigration than what all the other tanks get.

*: since you are forced to play justicar/shaman/X you can either have purge OR leanse OR 3rd 800hp bubble OR 4%less damage from 4/6magic sources.
    Last edited by shroudb; 04-18-2011 at 12:07 AM.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Sturfer View Post
    I don't understand why any rogue would have trouble with aoe aggro. You don't have to use a spec designed for single target tanking for aoe packs. There's a lot of options for additional aoe damage outside of the cookie-cutter tanking specs. You have multiple options and styles for opening with aoe damage. You have additional moves for aoe damage during a fight to the point where you can basically spam nothing but aoe damage. It's not hard.

If anyone needs help with aoe it's clerics. Even justice is about the most boring and limited attack. It wouldn't be such a big deal if leadership didn't have that huge 40% penalty. But even then the cleric is much more limited than rogue and warrior.
    it's easy to not understand it unless you do it.

As a riftstalker the only reason aoe aggro is tough is because my aoe is not guaranteed to hit every mob, sure the tool tip states up to 10 mobs but it may also hit the same mob 3 times, so while i'll generate say more aggro on say 4 mobs the fifth may not get enough and run off. I can usually taunt it back but with 1 taunt if more than 1 mob doesnt have enough threat from our aoe and runs off then it becomes a challenge.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Ampere View Post
    Probably Warrior, followed by Riftstalker. Justicar is a distant third. I've seen fights a Justicar simply can't tank (due to limited mobility). I've seen fights that Riftstalkers had problems with (anything where your tanking finishers can fall off due to RNG CC). I've never seen a fight that a Warrior couldn't tank.
    Rogue shouldn't have a problem with ranged cc since their shifts break roots, snares, and stuns.

Quote Originally Posted by Ampere View Post
    I ran xAP just now with a full Stormcaller who outgeared me by two tiers. The only times I lost aggro were when I tunnel visioned a single target. Keeping AOE threat as a Riftstalker is challenging...sure, our AOE threat gen could use a buff...but it's not impossible.
    yeah, a well played SC is the only class which can pull off threat from me on big pulls.

For raid content... Warriors for most boss fights, Riftstalkers for the rest.

<Ascendant> 13/13 Seastone Defiant

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast