+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: 32 classes? Lets see how far we (the community) can get

Default 32 classes? Lets see how far we (the community) can get

Introduction:
    Now we have all seen the website with the 4 pages of 8 spaces for classes, it might be for something else it might be wrong but lets assume it is true. If it is there is no doubt in my mind for a single moment that we will be able to pick multiple classes and combine them. Call it multi classing, multi skilling, skill based whatever you want but it has to be something of the sort to be implementable on this scale.
    For me this is more or less confirmed with this portion of the official site:

Unique Class System:
    Collect and embrace the souls of Telara’s ancient champions to gain their unique powers and abilities. Shape and progress your character with Rift's unique class system as you see fit, with hundreds of possible combinations.
    Now the question becomes which 32 classes are we going to see released the coming year, well I would like to challange the community to come up with a classlist that even reaches 32 classes. For the moment lets also include the none combat classes into the count since it will make things easier for us .

Additionally I would like to ask everyone who wants to contribute not just to list what the class would be called but also what it includes and what it specilizes in. Then once we start getting more info we will see who is right or wrong based on descriptions and names.
    I will start off with the ones I can think of at this moment, I have to say some are pretty far fetched but the idea’s seem interesting to me so I will list them anyway.

Confirmed:
    Total confirmed so far: 4

Melee:
    Blade Dancer: http://www.riftgame.com/en/classes/blade-dancer.php

Casters:
    Elementalist: http://www.riftgame.com/en/classes/elementalist.php

Healers:
    Inquistor: http://www.riftgame.com/en/classes/inquisitor.php

Tanks:
    Reaver: http://www.riftgame.com/en/classes/reaver.php

Unconfirmed (community speculation):

Total speculations: 18

Healers:
    Blood Mage / Lifetapper / Healing Necro: A caster healer which is able to heal its allies by infusing them with his/her own life or that of an enemy.

Disciple / Melee healer: A mix between healer and melee, compareable to disciple in games like warhammer and vanguard.

Shaman / Ward healer: Healer which focusses on warding his allies against damage.

HoT healer / Druid (?): A healer that heals mainly by using powerfull heals over time.

Cleric: Not sure if this should be listed considering Inquistor was announced but since inquistor is basicly the falled cleric one could asumme that a cleric would have much the same powers but with an more support driven role.

Empath: Empaths have the natural ability to transfer wounds from others to their own bodies. They then use their recuperative powers drawn from the spiritual realm of magic to heal themselves. They are rewarded by the gods and their patients as well for such selflessness. Their primary spells concentrate on self-healing, but they also have access to other spells more useful in combat. It is difficult, but not impossible for Empaths to gain skill in weapons and armor, though heavier armor types may adversely affect their ability to cast spells. By Chempo

Tanks:
    Paladin / Crusader: A tank class that focusses on countering opponents which use magic, larger immunity against magic than other tank classes and able to heal allies and maybe him/her self. Fights with shield + one hander.

Warrior / Beserker: A tank that deals a large amount of damage wields two weapons or dual wielded weapons and focusses on parrying instead of blocking with a shield. Does more damage than for example a paladin but is more vurneable against magic attacks.

Caster Tank: Maybe to close to the reaver but more or less the counterpart of the crusader, a tank that doesn’t counter magic but instead uses magic to improve its hold of a target. Focusses on both melee attacks and casted nukes.

Evasion and Ward tank: like the FFXI ninja, high evasion and short term wards made this class into a very viable tank. (By Durnkrag)

Casters:
    Sorcerer / Wizard: Where elemanalist focus on the elementals of the world, a sorcerer / wizard would focus on the arcane powers unleashing high damage on single or multiple targets.

Coercer / Psionist / Illusionist: Whatever you want to call it, class that focusses on regeneration on mana and crowd control. While at the same time able to blow out mental based damage. For crowd control you could think of charming, stunning, mezzing, rooting.

Necromancer: The undead caster, focusses on dark magic, rituals and undead minions. Possibly with featurs such as feint death, ressurecting, cheating death.

Summoner: Caster that focusses on summoning minions which deal the most of the damage for them. Basicly the pet class of the casters.

Nojohr: (By Chempo)

Biomancer: (By Chempo)

Toximancer: By Chempo

Melee:
    Martial arts / Monk: Damage dealer with melee based weapons like barehands, knuckles. Also able to do large amounts of damage by using their feet and powerfull kicks.

Samurai: Damage dealing with weapons like nunchucks and two handed swords or lances.

Melee Ranger: Tracking, melee combat, creature type minnions and pets.

Ranged Ranger / Archer: same as melee ranger but specilized in ranged combat. (By Durnkrag)

Bard: Utility class with great buff potential, additionally able to do a good amount of damage aswell.

Thief: (By Chempo)

Crafting:
    Technomancer: Advanced scientists who have begun to master advanced techniques of machines and alchemy, they can construct and repair nearly anything and their broad intelelct is called upon by many to help them repair or understand things that are new or foreign. (By Chempo)

Corrosionist: Corrosionists enjoy watching things slowly decay into that natural state of all things, a liquid. They can appreciate the Pyromancer's ability to melt a being down to its basic organic material, but that's a very messy and imprecise method. To the Corrosionist, the Art of Melting (as it is often called), is a fine art indeed. Not surprisingly, many Corrosionists work as apothecaries or as candlemakers. (By Chempo)

Other:
    Merchant: (By Chempo)

Entertainer: Entertainers are a mixed bunch. They include troubadours jugglers, storytellers, singers, musicians, actors, performers, street magicians, tumblers, gamblers, knife throwers, costumers, mentalists [those guys who guess what's in your pocket or how old you are], travelling acts, ventriloquists, criers, and make-up artists. By Chempo
    Last edited by Kalbuir; 04-27-2010 at 01:30 PM.

Champion

Evasion and Ward tank, like the FFXI ninja, high evasion and short term wards made this class into a very viable tank.

Could have a ranged "ranger" separate to the melee one: call it an archer or whatever....

updated with Durnkrag's ideas

Plane Touched

"Summoner: Caster that focusses on summoning minions which deal the most of the damage for them. Basicly the pet class of the casters."

I think this is already covered by the elementalist, which looks to be a pet based class very similar to the eq mage.

Quote Originally Posted by dallammarr View Post
    "Summoner: Caster that focusses on summoning minions which deal the most of the damage for them. Basicly the pet class of the casters."

I think this is already covered by the elementalist, which looks to be a pet based class very similar to the eq mage.
    You are probably right, however when I read about the elementalist I dont see its primary role as a pet class, more like it also has elemental pets besides utilizing elemental powers like fire, ice, lighting, shockwaves to deal damage. When I think of summoner tho I think about having multiple creatures / minions which can be controlled one could think of: Ghosts, Bears, huge spiders, spirit wolves, gaint blobs etc.

Regards,
    Kalbuir

Having a "melee ranger" and a "ranged ranger" is pretty redundant. You have your non-stealth DW rogue in Blade Dancer. I would expect to see a ranged ranger only.

"Technomancer", "Advanced scientists who have begun to master advanced techniques of machines and alchemy, they can construct and repair nearly anything and their broad intelelct is called upon by many to help them repair or understand things that are new or foreign."

"Thief", "Thieves are the masters of stealth, supreme in sneaking, backstabbing, and assassination. Thieves rule the underworld both on the Surface and in the Underdark, wherever criminals may gather together. Other thieves prefer to work alone and avoid the company of their peers. Thieves are inferior to warriors, barbarians, and some of the other more battle-oriented classes in face-to-face combat, although they can outmatch the pure spell-casting classes physically. Like warriors, thieves have no magical power, but have no compunction about using magical items."

"Nojohr", "Only the nojohr can study the arts of another and use their own powers against them. Only the nojohr is considered a master of all weapons. Only the nojohr controls the beacons of light allowing him to use the world as his portal. And only the nojohr has the power of Thelgarron's fusing - a unique power that can be used as either offensive or defensive, depending on the strategy the nojohr wishes to implement. The nojohr is a master of combat."

"Psionicist", "The psionicist uses the power of his mind and body to accomplish feats by his own will. Some would call a psionicists powers 'magical', but that is not the case. Unlike the magicians who use the magic to infuse the world and environment, the psionicist uses it to infuse himself. A psionicist uses this internal energy in a similar way to that a mage uses his external force. Instead of praying or memorizing for spells, the psionicist uses mana, 'mental power', when using its abilities. The mental power is a sort of energy supply that charges whenever the psionicist meditates."

"Biomancer", "Biomancers have a great interest in the body and curative medicine. The biomancer exhibits a fascination with life and death that borders on obsession. Casual acquaintances may consider her cold or hostile, but those who befriend the biomancer may come to know her as a caring, complex individual whose emotions run deep. The biomancer can be a valued and trustworthy companion. Biomancers are unshakable in their determination to confront and extinguish evil and will join like- minded individuals to undertake these types of missions. Not only do biomancers wield unmatched power, their familiarity with life and death makes them virtually fearless. On the other hand, a biomancer, much to a leader's chagrin, does not always follow orders automatically; a biomancer who disagress with her party's strategy may simply strike out on her own."

"Merchant", "Merchants form guilds on some planets and caravans on others. They always travel in company and pride themselves on being matter-of-fact. They should be consulted when choosing a rare gift for one's beloved, or raising a ransom for one's liege lord. Merchants drive hard bargains yet can often be satisfied with a grant of charter or a court appointment for a son or daughter. Merchants are obese, have large families, and endow almshouses. They enjoy banquets of great length and hearty food, court politics, fine woolen and fur garments, and drink porter wine. These individuals form one of the most powerful groups on any world. They control the money, and when money talks, many ears listen."

"Corrosionist", "Corrosionists enjoy watching things slowly decay into that natural state of all things, a liquid. They can appreciate the Pyromancer's ability to melt a being down to its basic organic material, but that's a very messy and imprecise method. To the Corrosionist, the Art of Melting (as it is often called), is a fine art indeed. Not surprisingly, many Corrosionists work as apothecaries or as candlemakers."

"Entertainer", "Entertainers are a mixed bunch. They include troubadours jugglers, storytellers, singers, musicians, actors, performers, street magicians, tumblers, gamblers, knife throwers, costumers, mentalists [those guys who guess what's in your pocket or how old you are], travelling acts, ventriloquists, criers, and make-up artists."

"Toximancer", "Toximancers are very, very dangerous people who are overly fond of death and the methods of bringing it about. Toximancers are also equally obsessed with avoiding being poisoned themselves, so many toximancers spend much of their time try to figure out how to avoid being poisoned. They are fond of black, purple, red colors, they keep pets like Black Widow spiders and King Cobras, and they generally are exceptionally creepy people to be around. But if you need someone killed, Toximancers are the men and women to get the job done."

"Empath", "Empaths have the natural ability to transfer wounds from others to their own bodies. They then use their recuperative powers drawn from the spiritual realm of magic to heal themselves. They are rewarded by the gods and their patients as well for such selflessness. Their primary spells concentrate on self-healing, but they also have access to other spells more useful in combat. It is difficult, but not impossible for Empaths to gain skill in weapons and armor, though heavier armor types may adversely affect their ability to cast spells."

Games: Gemstone, RetroMUD, Nodeka
    Howdy

Awsome list, I will start adding them to main post now

Update: added all except psion insce that was already listed, additionally I didnt include all the text in there because the post was already at capacity

Regards,
    Kalbuir
    Last edited by Kalbuir; 04-27-2010 at 01:31 PM.

Yea, the Empath is such an amazing concept for a healer.

Taking ones wounds, placing them upon himself and concentrating on self healing. Why have games not used this!?
    Howdy

Quote Originally Posted by Chempo View Post
    Yea, the Empath is such an amazing concept for a healer.

Taking ones wounds, placing them upon himself and concentrating on self healing. Why have games not used this!?
    I also think it would be a amazing way to heal

Regards,
    Kalbuir

Champion

Beserker: Like the class that was dropped from VG, does more damage when wounded, able to delay heals, wound self for extra damage buffs, the emo kiddie of the dps world

As I have mentioned before in some other threads, one of many classes I hope to see would be something akin to an Alchemist. A druid perhaps, a witch doctor or a shaman... But for simplicity, I will go with the Alchemist theme (Which I think is the most interesting too)

Alchemist: An Alchemist is a boon to allies and danger to enemies when underestimated. These men and women spent their lives creating deadly poisons and plagues but are also capable of curing them in return. A class that relies heavily on poisons and plagues that spread through the ranks of enemies and slowly destroy them and on the other side preforms very well as an interesting healer in party situations. This class could even be more complicated by having to craft or conjure flasks, vials and potions which get used with certain abilities.

Just something I'd really like to see, among other things.

I'm more and more convinced that it'll boil down to 2 faction-specific pairings of 16 subclasses, 4 per parent class. Like in EQ2, they will be fundamentally the same class with differences mainly for flavor.

Tank:
    physical tank
    spiritual tank
    ?????
    ?????

Healer:
    cleric
    shaman
    druid
    arcane healer

Rogue:
    DW melee (blade dancer)
    stealth melee
    bard
    ranger (ranged)

Mage:
    pet caster
    necro
    pure nuker
    CCer

So in working with the classes we've got already,

Blade Dancer=guardian side DW melee

Elementalist=guardian side pet mage

Inquisitor or whatever it is=defiant cleric

reaver=defiant side spiritual tank

It would also be VERY CONVENIENT for them to release 2 from each faction. Ho ho ho, I'm onto you, Trion...
    Last edited by Europe; 04-27-2010 at 03:28 PM.
    <a href=http://www.trinityguild.org target=_blank>http://www.trinityguild.org/images/signatures/rift/sig_final.png</a>
    I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. I donít know.
    Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I donít want to answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Europe View Post
    It would also be VERY CONVENIENT for them to release 2 from each faction. Ho ho ho, I'm onto you, Trion...
    This could possibly be why there are so many.
    Howdy

Revised:

Tank:
    Reaver/Champion (Spiritual tanks; shadowknight and paladin)
    Physical Tank
    ?????
    ?????

Healer:

Inquisitor/Shaman (melee healers?)
    Druid
    Arcane Healer
    ?????

Mage:

Elementalist/Warlock (pet casters)
    pure nuker
    CCer
    ??????

Rogue:

Blade Dancer/Assassin (sneak attack dps)
    Bard
    Ranged Ranger
    ???? (monk?)
    <a href=http://www.trinityguild.org target=_blank>http://www.trinityguild.org/images/signatures/rift/sig_final.png</a>
    I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. I donít know.
    Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I donít want to answer.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast