+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Armor/gear itemization vs effort with plaque concerns

Default Armor/gear itemization vs effort with plaque concerns

Just curious how other classes are viewing plaque gear, crafted gear, expert dungeon drops and bouncing the time it takes to get that gear vs time invested in this game.

I shall expound further..
    For me, I am a Mage and I can get very damn good gear via crafted stuff. Is it the tippity top stuff? No, but it's enough to get me into GS without much issue at all, some of it is current BiS though. I recall a thread or maybe a podcast where Trion said that they wanted us to be able to gear up our characters via multiple paths, and so far they seem to be successful in doing that. The problem I have is that the expert dungeon gear, and plaque gear seem to be a lot of time invested for a very minor upgrade, some times, a downgrade. One path is so much easier..is it like that for others as well?

I am finding myself without much incentive to run these lengthy T2's to get plaques for gear that I can have made in 30 seconds that are on par with, or better than gear that takes 120-200 plaques (T1). Sure, we all need the weapons from the dungeons, but after that, i really find myself looking at the gear and thinking that it's an awful lot of time invested for a low ROI.

Let me give you an example: A guild mage hit 50 yesterday.. We made him a helm and chest of the Flowing Dark, legs, belt, feet, gloves ..Darkcloth. I forget what we did for shoulders -Darkcloth probably, . A couple of crafted "Flame Rings" i believe..and an AH-purchased necklace. He is very well geared and only needs a weapon (which can be bought or made).. and he's sitting very pretty with gear and not having to waste time in dungeons. Sure, you run them all to see them, then what? If you had pretty comparable gear via crafting or world drops, and your other alternative to getting similar gear was spending hours.. and a lot of them, in dungeons..hoping for a drop.. which would you honestly do?

Again, I am not counting out weapons or trinkets. I also understand running dungeons for the exploration and fun of it all.. but after some time, it gets boring..and really wears on you when it can be 2-3 hours of time spent.

Just curious if other callings are seeing the same sorts of things from their side? What am I hoping for you ask? I am hoping that Trion revamps the dungeon gear/plaque gear so that the time invested is worth it, that the time invested in chasing down plaques amounts to good gear upgrades.. and not minuscule stat increases, sidegrades or downgrades.

I also understand that trash mobs and boss mobs have been nerfed a bit.. good.. that still doesn't address the suspect rewards and plaque ROI.
    ..or am I blowing all of this out of proportion and not seeing things in the right light?

Here is a thread that better outlines the Mage itemization.. for those curious.
    http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...y-plans-to-fix

Happy Saturday.. thoughts?

I dont understand why uncontested PvE yields good gear at all. They might as well just drop tokens for beating on the target dummies.

I believe you're speaking on a whole different topic, anything on my original post?

Quote Originally Posted by Xodiak View Post
    I believe you're speaking on a whole different topic, anything on my original post?
    Well, first of all, the T2 dungeon drop gear is immensely better than the crafted. It is known that the plaque turn-in gear exists as a consolation prize for running several dungeons without getting drops. The drops are supposed to be (and are) better/worth the time.

Secondly, most of the T2 plaque gear is better enough than the crafted gear to justify running T2 dungeons.

EDIT: The thread you linked compares a couple crafted items to the bad T3 items. Inspect people and you'll see the people who mix and match T2 drops with T3 drops. Drops, mind you.
    Last edited by dougan; 04-16-2011 at 10:51 AM.
    DUGAN

+ Reply to Thread