+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else wish skills improved with points spent in souls?

Plane Touched

Default Anyone else wish skills improved with points spent in souls?

It feels odd, to put 51 points into a tree, only to see some guy who only put 20 into the same tree, have the same abilities as I do and have them hit for the same amount. I feel this system, while interesting and still good, makes you lose the aspect of really "speccing" into things. Sure there are abilities passed 20 that he won't have that I will, but for most souls all the really good ones are within the first 20-25 points of the tree. Only the 51's really matter after that, I know for my Shaman and the Inquistor there's some real flops of skills after 40 that it just like, really?

I'm just wondering if I'm alone in thinking that spending points in a tree should effect the potency of the skills from that tree, ala the Warhammer system. Currently I just feel that it's not really worth it in most souls to keep dumping in points, all anyone really does it for is 1-2 skills and that's it.

Thoughts? Obviously I don't want to just make a Warhammer clone, but it was a nice system and it felt rewarding and made you stand out a bit more when it came to what you did and how well you did it compared to others.
    Last edited by DaSneakyGit; 04-15-2011 at 03:50 PM.

yes agree, you invest 30 points in a soul, should get more from that soul
    Mage - steel cannon
    Rogue - tin pistol
    Warrior - glass machine gun
    Cleric - adamantium machine gun

Quote Originally Posted by DaSneakyGit View Post
    Thoughts? Obviously I don't want to just make a Warhammer clone, but it was a nice system and it felt rewarding and made you stand out a bit more when it came to what you did and how well you did it compared to others.
    This would make 2nd and 3rd souls mostly useless. You already need to focus on a single soul if you want (usually) the most powerful skills from it.

Sword of Telara

I think RIFT was meant to cater to hybrids. You get more abilities (roots) if you put 51 points in a tree than if someone put 20. Now if those roots ( abilities) aren't worth the price, thats a matter of balancing. But someone who puts 51 points in a tree without a doubt gets more abilities than one who puts 20.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsuner View Post
    This would make 2nd and 3rd souls mostly useless. You already need to focus on a single soul if you want (usually) the most powerful skills from it.
    Not really, many people already just take souls for the first 2 abilities, for example I'm a PvP cleric and taking sent and templar alone gives me an instant heal and break free. Both worth it. 2nd and 3rd souls are supposed to be weaker, they're not your main focus. The main souls, generally speaking, don't gain that much of an edge passed 35-40 points in vs someone who stopped at 25-30. As I said in my original post, you're basically just being forced to dump 51 points into(imo) alot of skills I don't want, to get 1 skill usually(51 skill) which usually, while nice, isn't worth that. I think if adding points to souls increased all abilities tied to that soul's effectiveness, it would feel more rewarding to the player, and also allow for more TRUE specialization amongst players/teams for both PvE and PvP.

Rift Disciple

I think a better solution might be to ask for buffs to the specific skills you feel are lacking. For me one of the big selling points of this game was the ability to create viable multiclass characters. I am not 50 yet, but when i get there I plan to never use a build with 51 points in any one soul as it makes my character feel too cookie cutter-ish. Your suggestion would essentially penalize me for spreading my points around.

Plane Touched

It wouldn't penalize you, you're still getting bonuses for every point you spend. You spent less points in the specific tree than I did though, I SHOULD be better at using those skills. It displays, if you will, a fluffy telling of the character honing that calling to the max. Say we had the same souls, I went 51 into mine and much less into the others, you spread yours around more evenly or however. The skills from the soul that I went 51 in will hit/heal for less than mine(not dramatically but noticeable) BUT you have access to more skills from the other 2 souls that I don't have, and your skills from those souls are better than mine. It works out as a wash in the end.
    Last edited by DaSneakyGit; 04-15-2011 at 04:07 PM.

I just wanted to point out that this is already in the game to an extent. Many souls have "+x percent damage for every point spent in this soul" etc.

Sorry if someone beat me to it, posting from my phone.

Plane Touched

Oh no I realize this, I play a Shaman, we have one at 36 for our massive blow skill, which is why I feel that anyone speccing as Shaman for main soul needs to spend at least 44 or so points into the tree otherwise it's just not worth it heh.
    Last edited by DaSneakyGit; 04-15-2011 at 04:08 PM.

I really dislike such things, and am happy that there aren't too many of them in the Mage calling.

In Open Beta I played a Riftstalker (rogue tank) and couldn't wait to make one for release.
    "Ooh, what do I do? Maybe I should go 31 bladedancer for some awesome avoidance synergy? "
    "What if I go Ranger and have a little off-tank with me?"
    "But, but... if I go Bard I'd have some group support along with some self-healing when soloing!"

Then there was another patch which gave Riftstalker TWO "the more points you put into" scaling talents that completely shelved my Riftstalker and I made a Mage instead.

Sez

Obviously I don't want to just make a Warhammer clone.
    I'm really quickly going to point out that your name is DaSneakyGit, and you are saying you DON'T want a warhammer style game.

Ok, continue discussion.
    Sez is now Zes on Dayblind

- Rogue Lead - <Gestalt> - Defiant - Dayblind Server -

As I said in my original post, you're basically just being forced to dump 51 points into(imo) alot of skills I don't want, to get 1 skill usually(51 skill) which usually, while nice, isn't worth that. I think if adding points to souls increased all abilities tied to that soul's effectiveness, it would feel more rewarding to the player, and also allow for more TRUE specialization amongst players/teams for both PvE and PvP.
    At the moment it's not necessary to spend 51 points on a single soul to get good dps or healing. It's actually often better to spend them evenly between 2 souls. If you had to spend 51 points to get the highest damage/healing out of them you would kill all those builds. Everyone would be essentially playing a single soul.

Plane Touched

Right, sorry, not like english people were calling people Gits long before warhammer was ever conceived as a TABLETOP(not mmo). Who cares if it is from Warhammer though? It's not like this game doesn't have a bunch of systems from WoW already implemented right?

...Right?

Edit: Also, the PvP team is basically old Warhammer Devs, so **** why not? lol
    Last edited by DaSneakyGit; 04-15-2011 at 04:16 PM.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsuner View Post
    This would make 2nd and 3rd souls mostly useless. You already need to focus on a single soul if you want (usually) the mospast the 35 or t powerful skills from it.
    Past the 35 point mark or so, the skills are pretty situational. So I see where the OP is coming from, but passives from other souls can drastically alter how powerful an ability is IMO.
    Daishiki
    Deepwood :: Eth Warrior :: "It's Swahili... for something..."
    Scrunt
    Wolfsbane :: Dwarf Warrior :: "I will tank it, or spank it... especially if she's good lookin'!"

Plane Touched

I'm not asking for a massive increase in the effects of a 51 vs a 30 soul etc. I would think that the very fact that hardly anyone seems to make 51 point builds is ALSO a bad thing. Can't we have it both ways?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast