+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I Want An Explanation.

Default I Want An Explanation.

Why do people love rogue tanks?

I have never played one, nor have i been in a group with one, so i am pretty unclear on why people seem to prefer them so much. I haven't hit level 50 yet, so maybe i could be missing out on something.

I would like to know simply because i am a Warrior Tank, and i'd like to know more about my opposition on this competitive market for Tanks

Thanks in advance.
    Shard - Zaviel
    Characters -
    Socket - Healer (Cleric) T1 geared
    Socketizer - Tank (Warrior) Leveling

They make great off tanks, but if you have strong heals and support they can do the "burn it down tanking" for almost all of the low to mid runs.
    But they have one real weakness, they cant make mistakes when tanking, All the rogue tanks that i have ran with pratice all the time ,to get the global cooldowns perfect and the rotation of skills to match energy regain, one mistake and they are dead.
    Now as a warrior tank you have the skills and "plate" to make up for a mistake or two, and depending on your build your a little bit easier to heal then a rogue, at lower levels its not big of a difference but at the higher levels where all main healz keep a eye on heals cast compared to regain, that when the little bit counts toward you. casting 4 healz for a rogue or 3 for a warrior.
    In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king, And in MMO's with LFD the Tank is God

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Socket View Post
    I do not play a rogue. I do not really know how they tank. All I know is, from a healer perspective across many different MMOs healing somebody who avoids damage is generally less intensive than healing somebody who absorbs damage. Until they get hit and you think the boss just did a Hadouken on them

I did wonder, because surely Plate will last much longer than Leather

Also, i've seen warriors with Leather when they tank Can someone explain that?

Thanks in advance.
    Shard - Zaviel
    Characters -
    Socket - Healer (Cleric) T1 geared
    Socketizer - Tank (Warrior) Leveling

Telaran

Healing a rogue is actually much easier. We take negligibly more physical damage, ridiculously less magic damage, and take the same amount of damage every hit unless we pop CDs.

We have 3 defensive CDs... 50% dodge for 15 seconds, 30% dmg reduc for 10 seconds, and immunity to damage for 4 seconds.

Warriors have no 'o crap!' buttons. Rogues do. There are only a couple rogues who devote themselves to tanking on my shard (Nyx) but all of the healers I'm grouped with...well once they go rogue, they don't go back.

The only drawback is that it is actually challenging to tank as a rogue. You need to manage CDs properly and get 3-4 60 second buffs up that need to be refreshed throughout a fight. Tank and spanks are easy to do this of course...but some bosses have immunity phases that make it increasingly difficult.

Let warriors tank the trash. Rogues tank the bosses ;)

This is through tanking 3/5 GSB.
    Last edited by Tigerpsych; 04-14-2011 at 08:50 PM.

I abhor them. I have out threat every single rogue tank I have ever run with, and then gotten yelled at for doing my rotation...Could be bad luck, but I think the combo point system forcing them to stay on one target is the problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Walsingham View Post
    Yes, if you need to know, Vespera hit me with a big pointy spiky thing. It was immensely painful.

Telaran

We have an ability that allows us to swap combo points to another mob. I group with t2 equipped mages and rarely get an add pulled off of me during a large aoe pull. Then I just aoe taunt or instigate and everyone is happy again.

It's not a herp derp I'm a warrior tanking class...which is what makes it so fun. If you screw up your combo points or CDs you could wipe your group on trash.

However, if you dont...you can easily pull more trash than a war or cleric using CDs properly.

Rift Chaser

Rogue tanks.

I prefer them. For certain situations.

They are vastly superior single target tanks. Their mitigation is light years beyond warrior tanks, and they tend to have about 3k more health. Where warriors shine are AE pulls, and high magic damage enemies such as the gatekeeper.
    Pakolu, The Squirrel.
    <Old Farts>, Wolvesbane (I refuse to spell it wrong.)

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerpsych View Post
    We have an ability that allows us to swap combo points to another mob. I group with t2 equipped mages and rarely get an add pulled off of me during a large aoe pull. Then I just aoe taunt or instigate and everyone is happy again.

It's not a herp derp I'm a warrior tanking class...which is what makes it so fun. If you screw up your combo points or CDs you could wipe your group on trash.

However, if you dont...you can easily pull more trash than a war or cleric using CDs properly.
    So basically, I'm just getting the bads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Walsingham View Post
    Yes, if you need to know, Vespera hit me with a big pointy spiky thing. It was immensely painful.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Kumu Honua View Post
    Rogue tanks.

I prefer them. For certain situations.

They are vastly superior single target tanks. Their mitigation is light years beyond warrior tanks, and they tend to have about 3k more health. Where warriors shine are AE pulls, and high magic damage enemies such as the gatekeeper.
    I agree partly...but rogues take much less damage from all high magic damage enemies. Pretty sure the second boss of DSM was hitting our war for nearly 2X what he hit me for with death blast.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Naronas View Post
    So basically, I'm just getting the bads?
    Yes and no...its hard to tank as a rogue and without the right trinket (aggro gen) or gear, a rogue tank sort of sucks. I believe they scale much more with gear than wars or clers do.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerpsych View Post
    I agree partly...but rogues take much less damage from all high magic damage enemies. Pretty sure the second boss of DSM was hitting our war for nearly 2X what he hit me for with death blast.
    Gregori is simply a matter of interrupts (Another thing that warrior tanks do better.) Either can tank him with no issues.

Best way?

Rogue Tank and Warrior tank. Switching roles when one or the other is better suited.
    Pakolu, The Squirrel.
    <Old Farts>, Wolvesbane (I refuse to spell it wrong.)

I guess I can understand why a properly played rogue tank would be good, but the risk/reward factor is stupid. The skill cap for a rogue tank is much, MUCH higher and yields disproportionate rewards compared to warriors. It would make sense that warriors are better tanks anyways. They have four tanking souls, where rogues have 1.5 tanking souls.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Socket View Post

I have never played one, nor have i been in a group with one, so i am pretty unclear on why people seem to prefer them so much. I haven't hit level 50 yet, so maybe i could be missing out on something.

I would like to know simply because i am a Warrior Tank, and i'd like to know more about my opposition on this competitive market for Tanks

Thanks in advance.
    rogues and cleric tank get some massive advantages because they only have one tank class so there alot easier to play(with the rogue exception at late levels)
    warriors are crazy hard to get right. just like clerics can mess up there heal specs warriors can also mess there specs up.
    currently warriors are better for adds and small targets. but warriors not great against bosses. best thing about a warrior tank is they can recover if it goes to ****. other tanks cant.
    if u die mid battle cleric tank screwed if combat rezed. rogues same thing.

Prophet of Telara

first of all, rogue tanks dont usually 'avoid' damage, they mitigrate it.

second of all, warrior tanking with leather=fail.

The good thing with rogue tanks is their stable mitigration. Their bad thing is the initial 3-4secs and the fact that in aoe situations they can be a bit iffy with aggro compared to all other tanks.

Justicars have way more physical mitigration but lack the magical mitigration that rogues have (about 22%for justicars and 40%for rogues) warriors can run with dual spec, one vk heavy for magical and one for physical.

As of now, all content has been tanked by all tanking souls so there isn't much of an 'effectiveness' issue so far. The only thing i see losing effectiveness is the justicars cause of stupid parry cap as it stands now, but i expect that to be fixed somehow.
    Last edited by shroudb; 04-14-2011 at 11:52 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast