+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Trying to decide on an alt

Soulwalker

Default Trying to decide on an alt

So my main is going to be a warrior but I'd like to make an alt(I do that). I don't have a ton of experience with the other callings of the game. But I decided I'd like to play a mage or a cleric. Any thoughts on what you'd suggest? I pvp a bit if that matters.

Rift Master

Both clerics and mages are more useful than rogues/warriors so anything works really. Mages right now are easy mode pvp, so that's an option. Clerics are better if you want to tank/heal more, Mages if you want to kill things. Mages can tank/heal in pvp though and clerics can kill things too... just that the other is better at it.

Soulwalker

Is either one better at leveling quickly? Just curious, thanks for response btw
    Last edited by swarlos2883; 04-14-2011 at 10:41 AM.

i assume mages solo level better than clerics
    i have no experience leveling a cleric though..

but leveling a mage solo is cake..you can use pet or aoe stuff down.

Quote Originally Posted by Ixath View Post
    i assume mages solo level better than clerics
    i have no experience leveling a cleric though..

but leveling a mage solo is cake..you can use pet or aoe stuff down.
    that and mages have infinite mana where only melee clerics have infinite mana and all other clerics must drink tons of pots/water.
    Useful Rogue guides since I don't want to answer 50 billion questions anymore:
    Marksman, Ranger, Nightblade, Blink'Blade, Asstalker, Assdancer, and finally The Hoko Spec™
    Hoko, teaching noobs the way of rogue pve until 12/20/11.

Do what I did ... Roll up a Rogue, Warrior, Mage, and a Cleric.

Play them all.

You can cover all your harvesting and crafting (with redundancy) with that combination, and no matter what Trion does to "nerf" one class, you can always play and enjoy the game.

It's also a heck of a challenge to master all four arch-types, which I also find enjoyable.
    Retired from the forum community 12/19/2017

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Machiko_Naguchi View Post
    Do what I did ... Roll up a Rogue, Warrior, Mage, and a Cleric.

Play them all.

You can cover all your harvesting and crafting (with redundancy) with that combination, and no matter what Trion does to "nerf" one class, you can always play and enjoy the game.

It's also a heck of a challenge to master all four arch-types, which I also find enjoyable.
    I will probably do that to eventually. With rogue last

Telaran

Roll a pyromancer.

Win the game.

Soulwalker

I read somewhere that they aren't good until 44. So not until then

Rift Master

Yeah pyro's are lacking earlier on, but that doesn't mean mages are... necro/warlock is godmode from 10-29. 44-50 = pyro country. I'm sure there's something that works in the 30-43 range too. Necro/warlock is good all around, anyway. Good single target damage, good AOE damage, a pet, infinite mana, easy self healing, decent survivability, even a healing debuff for clerics...

Soulwalker

I've been running chloro/warlock/elementalist so far. Elementalist is zero points though just for the improved pet. It's effective but slightly boring

Xsi

Quote Originally Posted by Kristoph View Post
    Yeah pyro's are lacking earlier on, but that doesn't mean mages are... necro/warlock is godmode from 10-29. 44-50 = pyro country. I'm sure there's something that works in the 30-43 range too. Necro/warlock is good all around, anyway. Good single target damage, good AOE damage, a pet, infinite mana, easy self healing, decent survivability, even a healing debuff for clerics...
    From 30-43, switch from Necro/warlock to Warlock/Necro. By level 30, you'll probably have tried just about every mage spec by then as well (respecing is pretty cheap - especially if you PvE/quest, buy minimal items from the auction house and keep PvP leveling only to the upper bracket ranges).

Just follow your own playstyle and you'll figure it out.
    Vow - <The Granite Guard> Dayblind (Guardian)
    Vow - Sunrest (Guardian)
    Master Outfitter, Master Butcher, and Master Fo-rager

Soulwalker

Roll all 4 until you get to a place where you can rest (so level ~10) and then focus on that looks more fun to you at that point.

I started with a Rogue, always been my type of class in any MMO stealth capable or not. Got to level 50 using NB/SIN/BD at low levels and switching to SIN/RS/BD around level ~30 where the zones turned more into a gankfest and perma-stealth/stuns/backstab was needed more.

Just as I was about to go for a more AoE friendly build for trash instancing, SAB got the nerf bat and it just felt bleh.

Rolled a Mage to 50 using Necro/Lock/0 Chloro for pet + DoT/AoE goodness and I leveled that class incredibly quick compared to the Rogue; insane survivability & AoE paired with the fact I was accustomed to the quests/zones was great. This is my main now.

When guild isn't running something and my dailies are done, I either play Cleric or Warrior. I find Warrior a bit easier as I hate downtime and I really don't have much as BM/PAL/PARA. It's very macro friendly (maybe too much actually) so I've left some CDs off the macro so I don't simply 1 button mash everything.

Cleric I still haven't found a build I'm quite content with, either too much drinking or too slow killing, seems there's no middle ground yet (still in the lower levels, so that probably explains why).

But like a couple have mentionned, roll them all, it's fun trying to master the 4 classes (which will never happen, no way I can see myself "mastering" all 4!), so very different playstyles, PvP & instancing capabilities and you sorta cover yourself from an over-nerf and rage quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Hokonoso View Post
    that and mages have infinite mana where only melee clerics have infinite mana and all other clerics must drink tons of pots/water.
    Can you let me k now how to get my mage an infinite mana bar? That would be totally cool. Mine seems to be broken because it has a number and drops to zero all the time.
    Don't mind me, I'm just being an idiot.

What you did there, I see it.

General of Telara

for having leveled every calling ill place them in order, from the best to the worst

Warrior - Cleric - Rogue - Mage

Warrior : i just roflstomped almost everything in my path, no down time, lot of aoe pull without problem, it was really fun and easy mode

Cleric : Justicar with Shaman and a bit of druid make them almost invulnerable, it goes really quick and are really efficient

Rogue : Assassin/riftstalker spec was a charm, killing really quick each mobs and no downtime

Mage : The longest of all, you take more time killing a mob then any other calling. Pyro become good around 44+ for questings. The mage got ONE BIG THING for themself though. The earth elemental can solo almost any elite or group quest. He dont kill fast, far from it but you can do the content.

So overall, the worst leveling experience was with the mage. I tried every spec (since i play the mage at end game) and none of them was really enjoyable for questing/grinding compared to what others can do. Sure they can do it without problem but doesnt mean youll have ton of fun with them. I love my mage in dungeon/raid. For pvp i prefer a cleric and a rogue.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast