+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Mage dots vs cleric dots

Default Mage dots vs cleric dots

First of all I'm not crying or complaining. Im just wondering whats wrong xD with him or me or even with rift mechanics.

So:

My dots are ticking around 100 damage (on low geared guys... a lot of times lower than 100)
    Every time I'll meet a inquisitor his vex is ticking for 170 and 300 crit wtf

300 crit? I can keep dreaming about that damage, my dot crits are lower than his normal ticks xD

Im survival focused now, 18chloro/44lock/4archmage(4 offensive). My gear isnt impressive, 6% reduction from valor, 710 spell power + 40 death resist (5%+ reduction).

Even with damage buff my defile isnt critting for 300... 256 as I remember, ticks for 170,180 so what the f**k is wrong? Cleric spellpower scaling?

I remember... long time ago someone created a topic about spellpower scaling and cleric had on most abilities 60%+ spellpower and mage had 30%+. I'm not sure about percentages but cleric damage scalling was waaaay better than mage.

I agree with you.

A deep warlock's DoTs are worse than inquisitor. Most people use necro to dip pet damage.

Warlock should have a 44ish talent that greatly increase DoT damage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpsmile View Post
    there is no way a mage could out dps a cleric in this game. sad to say but its true.
    Quote Originally Posted by zeroburrito View Post
    mage - the garbage man, taking out the trash.

Well, you're really *only* going to see that with two Cleric spells: Vex, and Sanction Heretic.

We get a 5 point skill way up in Inq that adds 50% to SH and Vex damage, and our 36 point passive adds more spell power to Vex/SH.

Honestly, it's kind of sad. Outside of SH and Vex the Inquisitor has NOTHING going on for single target (Bolt of Depravity is a 3 second cast, and doesn't really do amazing damage), although their AoE can get pretty solid.

So yeah. Vex does in fact tick for decent amounts, but only if you're a deep-spec'd Inq with 5/5 Mental Resilience. And it should, because it's one of the primary skills the Inquisitor is built around.
    Unrepentant Gaming Community

Bacardi: Rogue (Defiant/Sunrest)
    Dao: Cleric (Defiant/Gnarlwood)

Shadowlander

Mental Resilience @ 5/5 - 50% additional damage from sanction heretic & vex

20%-40% increase critical hit damage (depending on spec)

Ritual of Judgement @ 36 points - Increases the spell power bonus of vex & sanction heretic by 5% plus 4% per point past 36

Then clerics can stack + spell damage + spellpower, etc.

a 51 inq/5cab/10sent can get +40% critical damage +5% spell power +5%spell damage + +50% damage on vex/sh and a 60% spellpower bonus on vex/sh. makes them pretty handy spells to throw out.

Inquisitor's nuke damage is not as strong as a mage's. Mages have various talents that boost their overall damage, where inquisitor's damage boosts are mostly to their two DoTs.

Locks/Necros are doing very well in dps right now and really have no reason to cry about number differences in their DoTs.
    Bokor - Cleric (Warrior Priest)

Soulwalker

The Inquisitor spell Vex has a heavy focus in a few parts of the tree. A 2 point talent that makes you heal for 90% of damage done, then another 5 point talent that increases its damage by 50%, then at level 36 there is the passive that increases its damage by 5% and an additional 4% per point above 36.

So I have 41 points in Inq, which increases the damage of Vex and Sanction Heretic by 50+5+20=75%. Plus whenever we crit if we put 5 points into Corporeal Punishment, all death damage is increased by 15% for 5 seconds, and I crit a lot. 75+15=90% :B

So yeah, inquisitor does a lot of damage through their two dots, but does warlock have other advantages, or need to invest more than 7 talent points on only 2 spells?

Champion of Telara

I play a Necro/Lock and would love to see my DoTs increased slightly.

That said, I do not think it is reasonable to compare one or two abilities. Rather, you need to look at everything and compare the overall effectiveness. For example ... full Warlock v. full Inquisitor ... how do they compare in burst dps / sustained dps / survivability / group utility / etc.
    Last edited by Brad1959; 04-14-2011 at 10:51 AM.
    I am a lawyer in real life, but I try to roleplay an honorable character ;)

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bronthion View Post
    First of all I'm not crying or complaining. Im just wondering whats wrong xD with him or me or even with rift mechanics.

So:

My dots are ticking around 100 damage (on low geared guys... a lot of times lower than 100)
    Every time I'll meet a inquisitor his vex is ticking for 170 and 300 crit wtf

300 crit? I can keep dreaming about that damage, my dot crits are lower than his normal ticks xD

Im survival focused now, 18chloro/44lock/4archmage(4 offensive). My gear isnt impressive, 6% reduction from valor, 710 spell power + 40 death resist (5%+ reduction).

Even with damage buff my defile isnt critting for 300... 256 as I remember, ticks for 170,180 so what the f**k is wrong? Cleric spellpower scaling?

I remember... long time ago someone created a topic about spellpower scaling and cleric had on most abilities 60%+ spellpower and mage had 30%+. I'm not sure about percentages but cleric damage scalling was waaaay better than mage.
    Err...it's because Clerics spend 5 points to increase their vex damage 50%.

people act like my 7 year old - we both get cookies, but mine is slightly bigger while his has more chocolate chips. irregardless, he wants my cookie because it looks bigger.

dont try to pinpoint another class for nerfing, it wont make your class any better.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by jennytwotone View Post
    people act like my 7 year old - we both get cookies, but mine is slightly bigger while his has more chocolate chips. irregardless, he wants my cookie because it looks bigger.

dont try to pinpoint another class for nerfing, it wont make your class any better.
    The guy wasn't asking for cleric's to be weakened, just made an observation on a single spell of cleric, that it hits harder than his dots.

Were things better for you pre-50? Absolutely curious.

I am a level 28 Warlock and I recently started PVPing-to very satisfactory effect. Kills and damage are generally top and that is definitely due to the DOTs and mobility. I do run 8 points into necro for the extra DOT and the 5% death damage increase, but I don't use the pet because it's just not my thing. I consider myself a warlock, not a necro/lock. It's just a synergy thing, I guess.

I did encounter a pretty beastly inquisitor recently in the Codex, but I still seemed to have the upper hand.
    My survivability has also been pretty satisfactory, all things considered.

I definitely have no idea how this will all look at 50, though-so I hope that the scaling isn't shot. I also don't know how much having improved necrosis in my rotation helps me, so I guess it's hard to really compare with the level difference and the fact that I have an extra DOT.

I know this probably isn't very helpful, but I was just putting out there my experience with DOTs so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Rothstone View Post
    The guy wasn't asking for cleric's to be weakened, just made an observation on a single spell of cleric, that it hits harder than his dots.
    youre right, i am just tired of all the thinly veiled nerf cries on these forums. i think reading them is bad for my fun!

Prophet of Telara

How many DoTs does a Warlock build usually pop out and with what cast times? What is the rest of your rotation?

Inq has two 15 second DoTs, potentially a third from cab that deals likely around half damage. Aside from those it relies on a 1.5 second spell to instant proc a strong 3 second spell that also has a DoT component.

If we had more spells like Sanction Heretic, cleric magic DPS would be much more common!

Quote Originally Posted by Rothstone View Post
    Thx for defending me ^^ anyway as you said I'm not begging for nerf etc because if I'll meet a pro inquisitor 1v1 fight is equal. Instant bolt of depravity hurts but I have some some things to hurt too so it ok. I'm just jealous about his dot damage

Sword of Telara Chancellor Gowron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jennytwotone View Post
    irregardless
    not a real word and etymologically it means the opposite of what you think it means

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast