+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cleric Callings

Default Cleric Callings

I was browsing through Telarapedia and was looking at the cleric calling in the class list.

(Awesome job Ciovala and everyone who contributes)

I am excited that there are 8 starting classes/souls for the cleric calling. I don't know why, I'm looking at the list and there are two right now, Inquisitor and Purifier. Both are interesting, but what is lurking behind those other class/soul tiles? It seems like there is going to be a huge variety for healing right off the bat, something I'm not use to in most MMORPG's. I can't wait to see the remaining cleric callings.

I'd like to see some WarHammer (Warrior Priest) mechanics with healing your party through inflicting blunt damage on your foes. "The beatings will continue until (our party's) moral has improved" *wack smack crack*

A mix of the Archmage from WarHammer and the Rune Keeper from Lotro would be a welcome gameplay style.

I really haven't played VG beyond the free trial but I would love to see a Disciple type martial arts healer as well.

Can't wait to see what they have done, I hope there are some new spins on some of the gameplay.

Bring on the callings Trion!

Quote Originally Posted by irongamer View Post
    I was browsing through Telarapedia and was looking at the cleric calling in the class list.

(Awesome job Ciovala and everyone who contributes)

I am excited that there are 8 starting classes/souls for the cleric calling. I don't know why, I'm looking at the list and there are two right now, Inquisitor and Purifier. Both are interesting, but what is lurking behind those other class/soul tiles? It seems like there is going to be a huge variety for healing right off the bat, something I'm not use to in most MMORPG's. I can't wait to see the remaining cleric callings.

I'd like to see some WarHammer (Warrior Priest) mechanics with healing your party through inflicting blunt damage on your foes. "The beatings will continue until (our party's) moral has improved" *wack smack crack*

A mix of the Archmage from WarHammer and the Rune Keeper from Lotro would be a welcome gameplay style.

I really haven't played VG beyond the free trial but I would love to see a Disciple type martial arts healer as well.

Can't wait to see what they have done, I hope there are some new spins on some of the gameplay.

Bring on the callings Trion!
    The warrior priest is also in DDO and I did play it for quite a while. It's very interesting but I hate being in the middle of the action and I don't like having to be close just to hit something.

I will be interested in seeing where everything goes in the Cleric calling.
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

I'm a bit doomy and gloomy on this subject atm to be honest, since they have announced there WON'T be dual targeting live, I would speculate there can't THAT much variaty and difference on healing as one would hope. A large variaty of healing abilities and class mechanics from the Shaman, Disciple and Blood Mage are rather impossible if you cannot cast on your Offensive & Defensive target.

As a result I expect healing will be mostly with direct heals, heal over times + groupheals but things like lifetaps, wards, and the disciple type of heals seem to me rather tricky to implement with the info we know of RIFT at the moment. Besides that there ain't many more healing mechanics I can think of, but I hope TRION will prove me wrong on that.

I fear that we will have all "VG Cleric type of healers" with straight healing which is a shame because in my oppinion it's a rather dull game mechanic. Sorry for beeing the pessimist in this thread, normally I'd be spanking and smacking these sort of posts with hammers and everything else I can think of but atm this is how I feel about it.

Regards,
    Kalbuir

Although I'm really stoked about the inquisitor, I'd really like to see something along the lines of a clerical necromancer. Yes, Necromancy has traditionally been the domain of magic users, but I'm talking about summoning undead and only undead. A ghoul or some sort of vicious looking undead as a pet (mass of body parts or something), and maybe a swarm of skeletons for a short period of time as burst dps. Leave out the demons (save them for the mages).

I mean, in traditional AD&D, clerics had access to spells like "Animate Dead", "Create Undead" and such. I believe they even had "Gate", but as I mentioned earlier, lets leave the demons and angels to the finger wagglers .

I think the "Archmage" template mentioned earlier would probably be more fitting for the mage calling. But the Blood mage from VG would fit in this crowd nicely (provided the casting on defensive and offensive mechanic changes). We'd obviously need a Druid or Shaman class (maybe both) but only if they were similar to how EQ2 has it set up (heal over time for druids, wards for shammies).

Krush

I for one have set my hopes on a pure healing class again for quite some time. It seems that Rift is finally filling that gap.

I respectfully have to disagree with Kalbuir. I am truly looking forward to playing my class as it was always meant to be. A Cleric is and always will be a healer. That is his/her function and if played correctly a powerfull function at that. It will always be a support class and as such it should be implemented. In my opinion this is where World of Warcraft went horribly wrong. I was a pure healing priest in WoW and was passed by in raids for pally's. And I wasn't a bad healer either. Quite a few priests respeced to shadow and went dps.

I have played a cleric in nearly every single MMO I've played and so far the most fun I had was with my Cleric in Everquest. Weak on it's own but incredibly powerfull in groups. You truly had your own niche in the game and where always in demand. If only for a rez at a corpse run. It didn't make it easy to play but it was one of the most challenging classes to master.

Now from what I have seen I think that, for now, most classes/souls are based on the available rifts. Fire, earth, water, air, life, death leaving two gaps to fill. The Inquisitor seems to be going towards Death and the Purifier seems to be based on Fire. Now this is offcourse an assumption I made and for me it sounds logical so far but I might be completely wrong.

What are your ideas on this?
    If at first you don't succeed.... Skydiving isn't for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoney View Post
    I for one have set my hopes on a pure healing class again for quite some time. It seems that Rift is finally filling that gap.

I respectfully have to disagree with Kalbuir. I am truly looking forward to playing my class as it was always meant to be. A Cleric is and always will be a healer. That is his/her function and if played correctly a powerfull function at that. It will always be a support class and as such it should be implemented. In my opinion this is where World of Warcraft went horribly wrong. I was a pure healing priest in WoW and was passed by in raids for pally's. And I wasn't a bad healer either. Quite a few priests respeced to shadow and went dps.

I have played a cleric in nearly every single MMO I've played and so far the most fun I had was with my Cleric in Everquest. Weak on it's own but incredibly powerfull in groups. You truly had your own niche in the game and where always in demand. If only for a rez at a corpse run. It didn't make it easy to play but it was one of the most challenging classes to master.

Now from what I have seen I think that, for now, most classes/souls are based on the available rifts. Fire, earth, water, air, life, death leaving two gaps to fill. The Inquisitor seems to be going towards Death and the Purifier seems to be based on Fire. Now this is offcourse an assumption I made and for me it sounds logical so far but I might be completely wrong.

What are your ideas on this?
    I hope you don't get me wrong, I was in no way implying that a cleric type healer shouldn't be part of a game. In fact I think there is quite a large group of players who prefere to heal with straight heals and that is it. The VG cleric in my oppinion comes really close to the EQ one. While it wasn't my prefered class, VG wouldn't have been the same without it.

However while I enjoy healing a lot and I don't really care about much else on serious fights straight healing for me tends to get really boring real fast. I think the reason for this is that most straight healing classes I have played did not have much more than 2/3 HoT's, big heal, small heal, group heal and some instant.

Now this isn't really my cup of tea, I do not want to imply it's easy I mean it doesn't matter which spells you got at your dispossal. What in my oppinion makes other healer types such as in example Blood Mage, Shaman and Disciple is that they use mechanics that are quite "new" for healers.

A Blood Mage for example had to deal with a mini point based system to boost his heals and "force" crits. These points reset on every target swap. Had to swap stances for HoT's, manage crits for group heals and needed line of sight to our enemy instead of the ally to heal.

I am no expert on DSC and Shaman but a DSC needed to combo melee abilities to proc multiple heals and also had a larger point pool to cast special heals from. Where a shaman focussed on reactive heals and wards.

I want to be very clear that I am not advocating healer that DPS, there where plenty of DSC and Blood Mages who did this but in the end only 1 thing is important and that is healing.

Regards,
    Kalbuir

Quote Originally Posted by Kalbuir View Post
    I hope you don't get me wrong, I was in no way implying that a cleric type healer shouldn't be part of a game. In fact I think there is quite a large group of players who prefere to heal with straight heals and that is it. The VG cleric in my oppinion comes really close to the EQ one. While it wasn't my prefered class, VG wouldn't have been the same without it.

However while I enjoy healing a lot and I don't really care about much else on serious fights straight healing for me tends to get really boring real fast. I think the reason for this is that most straight healing classes I have played did not have much more than 2/3 HoT's, big heal, small heal, group heal and some instant.

Now this isn't really my cup of tea, I do not want to imply it's easy I mean it doesn't matter which spells you got at your dispossal. What in my oppinion makes other healer types such as in example Blood Mage, Shaman and Disciple is that they use mechanics that are quite "new" for healers.

A Blood Mage for example had to deal with a mini point based system to boost his heals and "force" crits. These points reset on every target swap. Had to swap stances for HoT's, manage crits for group heals and needed line of sight to our enemy instead of the ally to heal.

I am no expert on DSC and Shaman but a DSC needed to combo melee abilities to proc multiple heals and also had a larger point pool to cast special heals from. Where a shaman focussed on reactive heals and wards.

I want to be very clear that I am not advocating healer that DPS, there where plenty of DSC and Blood Mages who did this but in the end only 1 thing is important and that is healing.

Regards,
    Kalbuir
    LOL I didn't think you where implying that at all. To be honest, I find you quite knowledgable on MMO's. And further more I largely agree with you most times.

I can see your point about healing. Spice it up a bit. Well to be honest I think we are in for a treat. So far, as far as I can tell, there will be a LOT of diversity in all classes. I am pretty sure we will both get out off this game what we all want. Not only you and me. I don't know about you but I can't wait to hear about more souls that will be implemented for the healing class. And the ability to mix those classes will ensure discussions for years to come I'm sure.

While as I have said in some other thread am looking for a pure healer, one without much if any offensive abilities, I am not saying that the healing has to be straight up one button healing as the EQ clerics in many cases were. I am hoping for many ways to heal and protect.

On a side note, the disciple in VG has been one of my all time favorite healing classes in any game I am not one for DPSing at all, but who can say no to some good old kicking of people in the shin while healing people....

I'll agree with Kal, it's not a great day for clerics here.

Maybe they proof us all wrong, but I just don't see single target making healing innovative and great. I loved the disc and I loved the bm. I had a max lvl disc. The way he plays is proccing on attacks a small group heal, they have energy heals and jin heals (special system that adds points with special attacks and deducts points for certain abilities). They have a crit that heals, they have a special combination of attacks that gives a nice heal to their defensive target. It's really a monk who can heal. Great class.

But I doubt we will see this class. The group heal for his procs is possible, but expect it in the normal healing soul. The other heals, jin based and energy based are possible, but combo to heal wouldn't be possible.

With this, I actually expect more to see 1 healing soul and the other 7 souls just help makes your class more fun to play. Of course every soul can have his own healing, but in the end you'll just get the same heals with no bm and disc like heals possible.

Healing is just like the current generations ... you guys (and i am sorry) will have to watch the group/raid bars along with target, if you have Target of Target option or a focus option then you can always click to whatever target you need to heal. I know it is a pain ... but in reality you guys were bouncing targets in VG it was just a secondary target window (very innovative and cool!) but it was more like what World of Warcraft has done with /Focus ... I type in /focus on my MA and use him to off target mobs and such.

I just have a hard time not seeing the secondary targeting feature sneaking back into the title before release, unless they have some other trick up their sleeve. Going to put the secondary target aside for now.

What is interesting to me is a lot of people post saying they like healing this way or that way. The soul system is going to let you pick and choose to some extent. So if you like direct heals, pick the direct heal soul and add in a HoT type soul here or there.

It is the number of souls and various combinations that is exciting. You could pick up some melee heal abilities and some drains. You should be able to choose the healing style you like by customizing your souls.

For me the ability to mix, match and tinker with soul builds will be a game in of itself.

I agree it is going to be very interesting to see what combos people will be coming up with with the soul system, I for one cant wait to play around with it.

If you want different kinds of healers, look at something like City of Heroes Defender classes where straight up healing was the weakest spec. I played a Dark/Dark Defender which protected by debuffing the mobs so much that they couldnt hit my groupmates, or if they did it hardly hurt at all.

Now thats a totally different kind of game, but just saying to think outside the box

Quote Originally Posted by irongamer View Post
    What is interesting to me is a lot of people post saying they like healing this way or that way. The soul system is going to let you pick and choose to some extent. So if you like direct heals, pick the direct heal soul and add in a HoT type soul here or there.

It is the number of souls and various combinations that is exciting. You could pick up some melee heal abilities and some drains. You should be able to choose the healing style you like by customizing your souls.

For me the ability to mix, match and tinker with soul builds will be a game in of itself.
    I totally agree with this. The fact that we can "shape" our experience to any need we come across will be the greatest strenght of this game. And the most interesting to watch. I am pretty sure there will be some innovative combinations along the way.

The fact that I can mix and match makes it THE game to watch. How often did we find ourselves at a loss because we didn't have the "right" spec when we went into a raid? Only to find out after the raid we had to change everyting up again to support a group.

Even in raids we can now think of specific jobs healers are able to do. Do you want to heal the main tank, support the off-tanks and other raid members or even be a battle rezzer (assuming rezzing is done by clerics offcourse) bringing back the raid members, buffing them and kicking them back into the fight? It seems all possible in this game.

I for one am VERY excited.

im interested in seeing what other cleric souls will be announced.. my main wont be in the cleric calling but i enjoy healing and having utility so most likely my first alt will be a cleric soul.. cant wait to see the interesting ideas for the souls that have yet to be announced

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast