+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Laments of a Mage...

Soulwalker

Unhappy Laments of a Mage...

Hello forumgoers! I know all the warriors, rogues and even clerics are pretty torqued at Trion for nerfing them as hard as they did. And here's a secret, straight from the mouth of a proud cloth-wearing, fireball-slinging, potion-chugging apprentice of the arcane arts.

I'm rather torqued myself, and I'm going to try to explain why to the best of my ability. Here goes.

See, I've never played WoW for any extended period of time. My favorite blizzard game has always been Diablo, and then it was Diablo 2. And you might call me a little odd for this, but Warcraft's art style was so terrible and gaudy that I could never bring myself to stare at it for more than a couple minutes before I longed to return to Morrowind or Tamriel. Had it been World of Starcraft, things would have been different... But, I longed for true social interaction as well. Because of this, I started playing every MMO I could find until I found something I could really get behind. Pay2Play was out of the question. Let's face it. I was young, I worked a fast food job, and my computer was made out of whatever I could find in the dumpster behind our local repair shop (That I not-so-coincidentally work at now!)... So I played Free2Play Korean MMO ports. Maplestory for a short time, Rakion for an even shorter time, Luna a little bit, SpaceCowboy (Which is now known as ACE online), Gunbound, Jade (AFK) Dynasty, and many more that I don't really remember. The game I settled on though was FLYFF. It was perfect for a casual gamer like me. There was a comfortably large community, and the requirements were so low I could invite my friends to play anytime I wanted. That and the characters were SOO CUTE!

The backstory is necessary to understand where I'm coming from here, so bear with me a little longer. I'm a mage at heart. I love spells and mana, the lore, and the importance of intelligence above all else. As such, I always tend to play a mage because that's what I'm good at. I can connect with my character because I play the same way I live my life. Now that's all well and good, but FLYFF mages above level 60 are rare. As a matter of fact, If you total the number of max level mages across all servers, You'd end up with less players than there are calories in a can of coke. See, the ones who managed to get that far up played it smart. In FLYFF, you recieved two stat points per level, and you could allocate those however you wished. The four stats were Strength (useless for mages), Dexterity (also useless), Intelligence (equals damage), and Stamina (inverse of squishyness). Now, the way the game is coded, it's possible to create builds with greatly varying ratios of dps to health. Having decided to seriously play a game for once in my life, I wanted to work towards a true end in playing, and not waste all my time but have nothing to show for it. There was an inherent problem with the greatly varying builds and the way in which they were coded, and it was this that led to the dismal number of successful players. Leveling from 1 to 129 took two solid months of play time, provided you maxed your kills per hour and only put points into intelligence. What this meant is that no matter how great your gear was or how twinked out you got yourself on cash shop items, once you hit level 60, your health and armor were so low that you could not even 1v1 a mob that was the same level as you. At this point, you had three options.

1. Suck it up and start allocating points into stamina so that you don't start getting one-shotted by regular monsters, and in doing so reduce your leveling speed so far you'll never hit cap.

2. Accept that the game itself is broken, and roll another class.

3. Keep cranking intelligence despite the fact that you will die IN ONE HIT from anything that gives you experience, and figure out a way to break through.

I chose option 3. I learned how to kite giant groups of monsters around and nuke them all day, without ever taking a single hit. Taking just one hit meant certain death, and 5% lost experience at that. It took me quite a while to get used to it, but once I did, I was unstoppable. Because one hit meant death anyway, I started fighting in the level 120 areas at level 60! it took me two hours to kill one group of mobs in those zones. they had 200K+ health, and my strongest attack hit for ~1K. But I was cranking out 5 levels per day for a week.

It wasn't my build that made me strong, nor powerleveling, gear, party members, or even cash shop items. It was my skill in playing the game. Knowing exactly how to use the terrain to my advantage, to avoid ever taking damage. knowing when to spam potions, when to spam spells, and when to ****. I even went so far as to monitor my latency, and play the game the way the server saw it, not my eyes.

And all that brings me to what I'm really trying to say here. I came straight from that into Rift. In -my- eyes, mages needed a serious survivability nerf from day one. I heard everyone complaining about how squishy mages were in beta, and I honestly laughed out loud. We, as a whole, don't know how great we have it, what with the fact that we can take a hit AT ALL and still do the kind of damage we do. Back in my game, we traded our very lives for this sort of output. It led to some... interestingly broken-yet-not-really-broken dynamics. And I understand that most people wouldn't have the patience to deal with it, and I'm not suggesting that Trion do anything even remotely close to that. It was so janky that nobody wanted to deal with it, so everyone went off and did something else, and for me to request something so obviously game-breaking would be idiotic to say the least.

Playing a rare class like that, and actually succeeding made me feel truly special, because it was a difficult feat. In rift, the squishier mages are, the happier I will be, as long as our damage remains top-notch. At mid-range, we should absolutely destroy anything that moves. In close combat, we should get sliced to bits, and we should feel seriously threatened by that now-pesky marksman that's just in range to hit us, but too far for us to fire back. We're made of glass right now, but for as high as our damage is at the moment, we should by all rights be made of balloons. We can two shot players, fine. But in return for that, we should be able to be two shot right back. At least, that's just how I feel. I thought mages needed a nerf in the beginning, and instead, we get a buff so epically great that it pisses off the entire player base. That's not right... We were broken before.

I don't want to be the Flavor of the Month class. I want to be underestimated. Ignored. Passed up in favor of zerg rushing the healer. It makes it all the more worth seeing the reaction on people's faces when I leave nothing but pure flaming destruction in my wake. I want to amaze people with my skills and not be simply dismissed as a broken class. With as many complaints as I've seen, I can already feel the incoming nerfbat, and call me a masochist, but bring it on. You can drop my health down to 1.5k for all I care. A little damage reduction is okay, but anything more than 30% and I'll be a little peeved. The more nerfed we get, the better; because each and every mage that can't take the heat and re-rolls is one more slot I get moved up on the proverbial totem pole. I'm behind the mage class all the way, and I feel that if you can't learn to move around instead of relying on a god-awful skill that relegates your very existence to that of an inanimate object, you've lost sight of what mages were truly intended to be. Super-squishy energizer bunnies! players whose death count is only surpassed by your kill count.

When I rolled a mage, I expected to die a heck of a lot more than I do. I'm fully prepared to fight off the nerfs by increasing my irl skill level, and I believe that the other serious mage players who understand where I'm coming from should do the same. If we still rock after a 25% hp debuff, what do you think the warriors, rogues and clerics are going to say? Nothing. We get an -8%- damage buff, it's enough to bring us into the spotlight as the scapegoat broken class. If we can survive the most epic nerf in the history of all MMOs and still come out on top, the other classes will have no choice but to shut up, bend over, and take their beating like men.

TL;DR: I'm a Pyro. NERF ME HARD so that I'll look that much better when I'm roasting clerics over an open fire.

didnt read..lol basicly im a rogue or warrior and nerf pyro topic
    Last edited by Lilybeth; 04-12-2011 at 12:43 AM.

Shadowlander

*wall of text crits for 8342*

If you want less survivability here, by all means, fight with no armor, no GoS... or, heck, no Pyro soul in the first place Seriously. Want to be the underdog? Roll Archon or Elementalist as your main pvp soul. Or try something really crazy, like Dom/Necro/Ele!

Me? I'm a non-pyro mage. I don't 1-shot anyone, and I don't want to be 1-shot, either. My DPS is not so great that such a lack of survivability would be justified. I get killed fast enough by wars and rogues as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamester3333 View Post
    Hello forumgoers! I know all the warriors, rogues and even clerics are pretty torqued at Trion for nerfing them as hard as they did. And here's a secret, straight from the mouth of a proud cloth-wearing, fireball-slinging, potion-chugging apprentice of the arcane arts.

<clipped to save space>

When I rolled a mage, I expected to die a heck of a lot more than I do. I'm fully prepared to fight off the nerfs by increasing my irl skill level, and I believe that the other serious mage players who understand where I'm coming from should do the same. If we still rock after a 25% hp debuff, what do you think the warriors, rogues and clerics are going to say? Nothing. We get an -8%- damage buff, it's enough to bring us into the spotlight as the scapegoat broken class. If we can survive the most epic nerf in the history of all MMOs and still come out on top, the other classes will have no choice but to shut up, bend over, and take their beating like men.

TL;DR: I'm a Pyro. NERF ME HARD so that I'll look that much better when I'm roasting clerics over an open fire.
    While I read every line, I admire your honesty but it seems you are a little too snobby about your achievements. I agree that Pyromancers have a issue; though I don't know what or how to fix them.

I hope they are not nerfed into uselessness; but adjusted to fit the damage, survivability and capabilities of the other souls.

And as a Cleric let me say... You don't want to roast me.... My big brother the Warrior has more meat!
    I don't like mean people, rude people and people who are not nice.

Herp Derp : 1. An expression used when you yourself, has done somthing extremely stupid and dopey. 2. A phrase said by idiotic morons who think they are cooler then they actually are. *Dictionary definition

Shadowlander

Read the whole thing, thanks for the honesty.
    I am also a mage at heart (although i play rogue in rift) so i know how that playstyle feels
    and i know full well how bizarre it feels in rift when a mage has crazy survivability.

I wouldn't say nerf pyros hard, i'd say - adjust them slightly.
    Tiny nudges is how balancing works, not huge sweeping maimings.

+ Reply to Thread