+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Melee classes are unthreatening.

Default Melee classes are unthreatening.

I think this is a major issue concerning all melee classes. Melee classes at the moment, namely rogues and warriors, are in line with ranged DPS. In my opinion melee classes should always be doing more, not a ton more, but more damage than ranged options.

RIFT supplies characters with a lot of snares and CC breaking abilities. Melee is extremely easy to escape. After 1.1 landed, melee DPS became even more of a joke. You can literally stand there and beat on a cleric or mage who is in GoS and they will be completely unthreatened by you.

Warriors and rogues also have very limited self-sustaining options, making it even more important to deal more damage and make being on the front line worth it.

When a warrior comes up and wails on you, he barely really deals enough damage to offset a healer's survival capability, or a mage's ability to blow him away before he does any serious harm.

This goes for PvP and PvE, as many bosses and monsters have slows and patterned attacks that make it punishing for melee if they don't avoid it.

If a ranged DPS class is doing 700 DPS, a melee should be doing 800-900 DPS. Melee has to be worth it, and in the game's current state it's just being looked down upon.

I recently retired my warrior due to this, because I could do absolutely nothing as a paragon. Classes like Necro/Lock/Chloro, pyros, and clerics of all types would tank my hits and just laugh.

Warriors and rogues are not threatening at all. With players having so many shields, CC breakers, knockback skills, skill lockers, disarms, and interrupts; there is no way that melee is even viable. With the huge amount of build options against melee, having a melee class in your face should be punishing. He worked hard to get there, he should be dealing damage. Threatening damage.

In PvE bosses have massive aoes and movement based patterns, that force melee classes to work 2x as hard to achieve the same damage as the inquisitor sitting at the backlines spamming spells.

Melee needs to be worth it. Having a warrior or rogue in your face beating you down needs to set off an alam that goes "hey I need to do something about this." Right now, having a war or rogue in your face is like having a fly splatting on your windshield. They are minor annoyances at best and take too much time to pose serious problems.

You can literally just swat them away, I mean I do it all the time on my cleric.

Just point out that I think there is an issue with the state of melee. I think that players have more that enough tools to get away from them and the effort that melee has to put in to bypass all of a player's defenses and ranged snares just to get in their face is not worth the damage payoff.

Half the wars out there are running RB/pally, or still relying on ranged skills after the nerf due to the ineffectiveness of melee.

I mean, having melee on you should be threatening and a problem.
    Last edited by Lunacresia; 04-11-2011 at 08:51 PM.

I also don't understand this.

My ranged skills (I"m a Justicar mind you) do more damage than any of my melee ones. I macro them before the melee, becase even if I'm in melee range, it's still better for my damage output if I keep using them.
    Which honestly I can't see much sense, since since you have get into alot of CC / Damage / whatever to use melee, when ranged skills simply does more damage?

PS: I have more atack power than spell power btw.

agreed with the original post
    this game is getting really a chore to play as a melee class
    and i havent even logged on for more than 2hrs in the past week

even if u slow opponents in pvp all they have to do is just jump back and they still kite u
    ICEWATCH
    .........FEAR IS GOOD...IT MEANS THAT YOU'RE STILL ALIVE.......
    .........AND I HAVEN'T KILLED YOU YET........
    Proud Member of Moirae [11/11 HK] [4/9 ID]

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Lanceknight View Post
    agreed with the original post
    this game is getting really a chore to play as a melee class
    and i havent even logged on for more than 2hrs in the past week

even if u slow opponents in pvp all they have to do is just jump back and they still kite u
    OP, you should be in charge of pvp for this game, it may actually be fun again.

Champion of Telara

I disagree on two fronts:

First, Melee Warriors are extremely powerful. They have the the best armor, the best hp, great survivability, and good cc ... and on top of all of that, the best single target dps (probably due to Strike like Lion being a bit too powerful). Having Warrior in your face means you will probably die before the CC is over.

Melee Rogue dps needs a bit of a boost. The have weaker armor, less hp, less survivability, and less dps.
    Last edited by Brad1959; 04-12-2011 at 03:12 AM.
    I am a lawyer in real life, but I try to roleplay an honorable character ;)

aux

Un-CC'd melee classes kill people in ~5 seconds. That's threatening enough for everyone to spec defensively against them.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by aux View Post
    Un-CC'd melee classes kill people in ~5 seconds. That's threatening enough for everyone to spec defensively against them.
    This is pure bs.

My PvE dps warrior does around 700 dps with a 2 hander, so in 5 secs i would do (in average ofc) 3500 dmg to ppl.
    However, ppl do not stand still and watch while being whacked. And usually someone is healing too, etc etc...

If you want to call a melee class op, ill give you a hint. The classes name does not begin with a W or R.
    Last edited by Xandez; 04-12-2011 at 03:33 AM.

Rift Chaser

I can strafe run but it doesnt actually make any distance between me and a melee unless they run at an angle too....If they do that then dont you think they deserve to die?
    But if i run back while shooting i run much much slower...am i missing a skill that lets you run back without loosing speed?

If i try to kite a warrior i get a few shots in before hes in range to charge me or drag me to him. The difference is only 15m from my limit to his. That distance is closed in a second.
    Last edited by Eorith; 04-12-2011 at 04:14 AM. Reason: Quoted a post that was removed

Quote Originally Posted by shukes View Post
    I can strafe run but it doesnt actually make any distance between me and a melee unless they run at an angle too....If they do that then dont you think they deserve to die?
    But if i run back while shooting i run much much slower...am i missing a skill that lets you run back without loosing speed?

If i try to kite a warrior i get a few shots in before hes in range to charge me or drag me to him. The difference is only 15m from my limit to his. That distance is closed in a second.
    Run forward, mouse turn to quick fire without losing speed
    It's not a damage meters fault you can't hit a certain dps and others similar to you can, it's the fault of your bad gear, bad spec, or bad rotation. So stop getting mad at the meters and invest some time into not being bad.

DPS Mathcraft - How damage works
    DPS Mathcraft - STR vs DEX
    DPS Mathcraft - Armor
    Warrior DPS Calculator *UPDATED* v0.2
    Paragon Rebalancing Suggestion

aux

Quote Originally Posted by Xandez View Post
    However, ppl do not stand still and watch while being whacked.
    I'm going to have to, I'm stunned for the duration.

Your 5-second burst is also higher than 700 DPS I'm sure. Can't really compare 5 minute parses to a 5 second kill.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Talamare View Post
    Run forward, mouse turn to quick fire without losing speed
    Ahh got you. using jump i presume? i'm not a good pvp Ranger haha! i tend to think i am tougher than i am...i shoot as much as i can and then as they charge i pull out my swords....then usually die!

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Brad1959 View Post

First, Melee Warriors are extremely powerful. They have the the best armor, the best hp, great survivability, and good cc ... and on top of all of that, the best single target dps (probably due to Strike like Lion being a bit too powerful). Having Warrior in your face means you will probably die before the CC is over.

Melee Rogue dps needs a bit of a boost. The have weaker armor, less hp, less survivability, and less dps.
    Everytime another idiot posts those arguments. You dont have more CC, the armor mitigation difference between plate and cloth is like 15% at most and that doesnt stop spell dmg, the best hp? a dps warrior/rogue has the same hp as a mage/cleric, only a tank has more and they dont have dps. They dont have survivability either when theyre dps spec. And CC? Only champion aoe fear with 30secs cd, stuns? Only when I charge, titan strike @ 1m cd, etcetc.
    Last edited by Eorith; 04-12-2011 at 04:21 AM. Reason: Removed profanity

Ignore this guy, if you check his post history, you will notice that he has been trolling around for a while now, oblivious to facts and other peoples posts.

I agree with the OP, as it stands, the reward for actually going into melee range, exposing oneself is much too small, infact you are punished for doing so.

PvP where casters rule the game, is very boring pvp.

Soulwalker

Have to partially disagree firstly melee rogues which i am using currently using now can kill any classes easily without any problem especially in 1v1 situations..Even there is bad situation with proper defensive skills shouldn't be a problem to get away. U cant compare to classes like Mages because they currently can 1 shot anyone pratically.. Anad yes i do agree that melee classes need a total review to make them more worth in in warfronts because there is too many dispel skills in all classes and souls.

This is pure bs.

My PvE dps warrior does around 700 dps with a 2 hander, so in 5 secs i would do (in average ofc) 3500 dmg to ppl.
    Because sustained pve dps is the same thing as burst pvp dps right?

However, ppl do not stand still and watch while being whacked. And usually someone is healing too, etc etc...
    So you are attacking someone who isn't ignoreing you while being healed by a healer and you aren't doing anything to the healer you can't kill the guy who he is spam healing? Wierd.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast