+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Class Balance Podcast

Plane Touched

Default Class Balance Podcast

http://www.riftpodcast.com/podcast/2...patch-1-1.html

Mages-
    "Mages, once again, pretty happy with where they are after 1.1. There is definitely a "Dawn of the Pyromancer" question. The real funny thing is a lot of those really powerful Mage builds were out there before 1.1 and they didn't get that dramatically better with 1.1 but we will probably
    have to take a look at a couple of them and see what we can do to bring them a little more in line without really effecting the overall balance of mages which we are pretty happy with right now. So ya, we are going to look at Ground of Strength. Yes we are going to look at Transmogrify into oh-my god critical hit, because of some of the Dominator passives, and things like that, but right now not 100% sure what we are going to do."-Gersh

Oh yeah, that's swell.

Yeah, imagine that, you nerf two out of three over-powered classes and buff the third. And the third becomes even more powerful, who could predict that?

You know those people who said "will I apologize if they nerf Bright Wizards"?

Know what? Not gonna have to apologize.

Rift Master

I was one of the people saying they were OP pre 1.1 (because you know, I was right). Just because the average player didn't realize it Gersh, doesn't mean it wasn't an issue.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Foofmonger View Post
    I was one of the people saying they were OP pre 1.1 (because you know, I was right). Just because the average player didn't realize it Gersh, doesn't mean it wasn't an issue.
    i was saying pyros were pvp gods before game was released back in b5. took one look at GoS and knew they were the next BW prolly designed by gersh himself.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by labotimy View Post
    i was saying pyros were pvp gods before game was released back in b5. took one look at GoS and knew they were the next BW prolly designed by gersh himself.
    I think the dude may be a closet arsonist. Sexually attracted to fire, destroys pretty much everything he gets his hands on. Sad really.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by food View Post
    I think the dude may be a closet arsonist. Sexually attracted to fire, destroys pretty much everything he gets his hands on. Sad really.
    i hope your implying gersh and not myself, never stooped low enough to roll a bw knowing how busted they were. prolly wont do it for pyro either, allthough it would prolly improve my fun factor. i played bard, riftstalker, and sabo in b5-6 and i dropped sabo at release due to it being imba. now my options are left at NB and rift tanking which is getting old. hmm maybe i will reroll mage for the lulz.

Ascendant

This guy is so clueless, seriously. " Funny thing is it was like this before 1.1". Helllo,moron you nerfed everything else in the game besides mages and then you buffed the one calling you didnt nerf. The pyro grumblings were there pre1.1 they were just matched by nerf champ/sabs/aoe healing. Champs sabs aoe healing has been nerfed and then what do you do? Give mages more survivability more damage and straight up indiviually buff specific mage abilities.
    The artist formerly known as Daroof

Mofugga-bethlam

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Themistocles View Post
    http://www.riftpodcast.com/podcast/2...patch-1-1.html

Mages-
    "Mages, once again, pretty happy with where they are after 1.1. There is definitely a "Dawn of the Pyromancer" question. The real funny thing is a lot of those really powerful Mage builds were out there before 1.1 and they didn't get that dramatically better with 1.1 but we will probably
    have to take a look at a couple of them and see what we can do to bring them a little more in line without really effecting the overall balance of mages which we are pretty happy with right now. So ya, we are going to look at Ground of Strength. Yes we are going to look at Transmogrify into oh-my god critical hit, because of some of the Dominator passives, and things like that, but right now not 100% sure what we are going to do."-Gersh

Oh yeah, that's swell.

Yeah, imagine that, you nerf two out of three over-powered classes and buff the third. And the third becomes even more powerful, who could predict that?

You know those people who said "will I apologize if they nerf Bright Wizards"?

Know what? Not gonna have to apologize.
    Gersh has no idea what he is doing. By time he is gone and they start to fix balance the subscribers will be lost. Just like Warhammer.

Quote Originally Posted by solarbear View Post
    Gersh has no idea what he is doing. By time he is gone and they start to fix balance the subscribers will be lost. Just like Warhammer.
    Sad but true. I have given up on this being a viable pvp game, it just isn't and it doesn't appear it is going to be.

lud
    Champion

Why would anyone hire him on this type of game? He lacks the maturity required to create balance.

Rift Chaser

Soooo... because he didn't say "We're nerfing all mages into wet spaghetti", he's clueless?

Ah ok. So since he flatly stated that warriors and mages are about where they want them to be, only needing to address rogues, what are y'all going to do?

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Kuroshio View Post
    what are y'all going to do?
    Laugh as homeboy tanks another multi-million dollar project.

Sword of Telara

Seeing the quality of games programmers these days I'm thinking I should really finish my game development degree.

Not because I think I'd add much to the industry but simply because I know the bar for performance is set so low. ;)

Sounds to me like he weeded out the more even headed posts from all the "sky is falling" posts.
    FortyFive sigbanners ~Harrow~

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Kuroshio View Post
    Soooo... because he didn't say "We're nerfing all mages into wet spaghetti", he's clueless?
    He is clueless since we know how bad his balance was in other games. He did the EXACT same thing in warhammer... game came out BWs were overpowered and CC was over the top and they lost 600 000 subs in a month or so. The reason was though that the PvE was not that good and it was a PvP game. The PvP sucked due to balance because of people like Gersh who seemed a bit out of touch.

Basically, when the game was released in warhammer mages were too overpowered and their aoe was doing as much damage as single target and stacking, witchelves which were melee were over the top, ignoring too much armour, and killing people in the stun timer (Warriors before last fix), witch hunters were useless outside 1v1 ganking (melee rogues), shadow warriors were gimp (ranged rogues), and there was far too much CC in the game (all the souls). Why did the devs from warhammer make the same mistake in this game. They fixed warriors but we still have overpowered mages, too much CC, and underpowered rogues. The only reason why rift won't lose so many subs so fast is because it has good PvE so there is something else to do. It still doesn't excuse the fact that they made the same mistakes in PvP again. Now they have to fix it or lose a lot of subs to GW2. I am not going to be unrealistic and say they will lose half a million subs due to bad PvP. I will say though that if the PvP doesn't shape up and GW2 comes out and offers decent PvP they will lose a lot of their PvP community. This could be 100 000 subs or so. That is probably worth spending a little time fixing PvP for.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Ticklepink View Post
    Sounds to me like he weeded out the more even headed posts from all the "sky is falling" posts.
    I don't know about sky is falling but some classes having 3-4 times the burst of other dps classes needs to be fixed before people leave.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast