+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Let the revolution begin..........

Cool Let the revolution begin..........

{{This is a post I made to a certain topic (see added link listed below). I do this because personally, this is a very sensitive subject on forums and in game (and not to just one specific class). I feel so passionate about it, that I chose to risk incoming wraith from those who already read it, and repost it as a starter topic. So, to those who have read it, I ask to please cut me little slack and be gentle ;) to those who haven't read it, I really hope it acts as some form of beginning defuser to some valid concerns. Thank you *gulp*}}

First, thank you for an interesting topic to read while waiting on a 30min update. Ironically I am finding this form of discussion (not just about Rogues) heard on shard I am on in all chats and the guild I am in.

Second, after reading OP and yes, all other posts (even the insulting to insulting ones), I noticed there was only a few that actually touched on the real truth here.

UNLESS there has been a copy of a specific soul with build down to every detail of each point,(and lets not forget the racial passive abilities that can affect stats), there is absolutly NO WAY to have whats been known as the "cookie-cutter" mold typically found in other MMO's.

What we DO have are people who are playing Rift (unless this first ever MMO) that have been trained and fashioned to learn and believe a certian class is played a certian way, period.
    Such as: DPS = DPS; TANK = TANK; HEALER = HEALER; MAGE = MAGIC DAMAGE

NOW what happens? A company comes in and says f that time to mix it up a bit and break that old fashion way of thinking mold. Hence the use of multiple roles for multiple souls. Knowing at same time that once those veterins of MMOs started playing Rift over length of time, they would not be able to overcome the trained thinking of listed above. That process of thinking on those veterin players is now permantly instilled, BUT the sweet part is that EVERYONE can have their cake and eat it too.

As this poster #60 says:

"If you're tanking, then Tank. Have the gear and the setup to not die before I can heal you.

If you're healing, then Heal. Have the proper setup and reaction time to keep that tank up.

If you're dps, then DPS. Bring that boss down before the healer runs out of mana.

If you're support, then Support. Do your role properly.

I don't care what souls you have to do this, or what class. If you have the ability to bring what you have to the table and get results, then you are a fine edition. I'll work with your selection, not a problem. I'm pretty good at thinking outside the box. We'll make it work if you can hold your own and carry your weight."

The KEY is play what it is you agreed to play when the request was put out there for a need and YOU answered back to fill that role. THEN do it to the best of your ability and learn from mistakes made. Ok, so maybe you can assign one role to that class you have (knowing full well from YEARS of thinking that will be what most see you as, whatever you started), is that really such a big deal to do for about 1 hour of a dungeon/evasion run? Beauty is once done, switch back to role you love most. If a request is put out there for a specific need and YOU answer it, such as need for tank and go in with warrior dps, well thats just plain stupid. Don't do it if that is not what you want to do.

REMEMBER, not only is Rift a new game, it is also and most importantly, a new way of playing a MMO and specially leveling a character. Not only is it is going to take time to actually learn the full potential of 1 role, you are going to also learn 3 others! (without ever having to log off,then sign back on with totally different character).
    "You can't teach an old dog new tricks" is not going to apply to some players in this game. That old dog has to learn and be flexable as well or they may just miss out on something spectacular and loose interest or leave all together.

That said, I do find it important to be in a guild that it's way of thinking and doing things are along same as yours. I ran long time solo vs. guild and with this game, running with a guild is defiantly 100% less stressful then drfiting from zone to zone hunting for a raid group, or watching chat for spots open for a dungeon run.

Poster #164 (in my personal opinion) says it best:

"How do you determine what is the "optimal" spec?

I can guarantee that there is no "optimal" spec. What is an absolutely essential ability for you may be something I don't bother putting on my action bars. I can think of several abilities like that in that "other" game. People would insist that I was somehow limited because I didn't have X ability--but I had no use for the ability.

Anyone can go to a website and find an "optimal" cookie-cutter build. But when that's all they do, and they learn how to play that cookie-cutter until another cookie-cutter comes along, they don't really know what effect all the different abilities have. I prefer the method of making a build, trying it out and observing the effects over a period of time, and then tweaking it based on what I observed. That way, I get a feel for the contribution of each talent.

Using a spreadsheet only gives part of the picture. It cannot account for ping and lag, and it doesn't allow for individual variability in play style. Human variation has a huge effect on dps (threat, healing) that a spreadsheet just cannot incorporate.

That said, people should certainly be striving to be top whatever role they are playing. But they should also have the freedom to figure it out for themselves."

Trion to you I say congratulations and keep doing what your doing (love the humorous post updates btw, very creative and not typical "stick in the mud" formal blah blah blah). You are most likely causing some fear to ripple through some because the old form of playing MMO may not actually be what is required *gasp* to play Rift. Change is a scary word to some and to others a revolution.

Look out everyone, young and old, veterin and noobs, its a whole new MMO world now, are you ready? If not, better get your butts outta way, cause a whole new generation of players are ready and will run those butts over like a steam roller to assist in bringing in change and have the best time of their lives.

{{ orginal link started by another forum member and where the above post was orginally posted:
    http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...ed-by-elitists }}

Gibberish.

WTB TL;DR
    /10char
    Last edited by IanAKASobe; 04-10-2011 at 02:34 AM.
    Currently Level 50 Cleric, Warrior, And Mage, Working on Rogue!

Shadowlander

A little over the top perhaps, but I understand what your saying. After trying a half dozen 'recommended' tanking builds I didn't like any of them, but in trying each one I learned something about how they worked; I now run with my own build built from my experience, it's not perfect (still can't decide on a few points), but it gets the job done and it suits my play-style.

One thing to note though is that there is a difference between a solo build and group build, even for DPS. So while you may want to play a sneaky assassin (for example), there really isn't much use for sneaking around in instances, so buy yourself a 2nd (or 3rd) spec, drop the extra run speed while stealthed, pick up some DPS / Group buffs (even if it's from a different tree) and prove the doubters wrong!

I'd... have to agree with Greeze on this one, mate..

What exactly is the point of this? No Cookie-Cutter builds?

IDK, Play whatever you like. I do, and I'm having fun.

(Not flaming you guy, Just yeah... lolwut u talk'n 'bout?)
    Last edited by Zamrik; 04-10-2011 at 02:38 AM.
    http://files1.guildlaunch.net/guild/library/gallery/36315/sig_mix653Mid.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Beckstir View Post

Look out everyone, young and old, veterin and noobs, its a whole new MMO world now, are you ready? If not, better get your butts outta way, cause a whole new generation of players are ready and will run those butts over like a steam roller to assist in bringing in change and have the best time of their lives.
    From what I have learned in other topics, most gamers are between 30 and 60. All the others only play the free period of each game, never to be heard from again.

Never liked cookie-cutter builds, but I hate it when a healer doesn heal. A rogue doesn dps and a tank dies faster than any healer can cast. The most important thing of a game is having fun, but having a wipe is no fun at all. Nerfs doesn help either.

Programmers should have a different mindset as well. I haven't noticed that yet.
    Officially owned by Alsbeth the Discordant.

http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=815027&dateline=13020  88690

Elitists and game programmers think alike; The first thinks the game is too easy, the other nerfs the crap out of them.

White noise from the unlettered.
    Recipe for success:- take a dps meter, add one threat meter, throw in some flying mounts, gearscore and some free epics. Stir in one dungeon finder, achievements, vanity items and refer a friend. Then nerf a few raids, ret-con some lore, remove any crowd control and allow faction and realm transfers. Pour it all into a big bag and throw it off a bridge into a f***ing river.

Firesand RP-PVP server:- Brio 39 Cleric - Kendo 34 Rogue - Kane 15 Mage - Karn 12 Warrior

OP,

Please tell me you're not a Glen Beck fanatic...

I play as a Cleric. I don't need people to tell me how I should play. Nor do I tell others. If I don't want to heal then I don't. Selfish? Then so be it, I'm a selfish cleric.
    'Gamer since before you were even a twinkle in your old Dad's eye...'

Quote Originally Posted by Eebahgum View Post
    I play as a Cleric. I don't need people to tell me how I should play. Nor do I tell others. If I don't want to heal then I don't. Selfish? Then so be it, I'm a selfish cleric.
    When I tank, and I get no heal, I run away. When I do that, you die
    Officially owned by Alsbeth the Discordant.

http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=815027&dateline=13020  88690

Elitists and game programmers think alike; The first thinks the game is too easy, the other nerfs the crap out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by IanAKASobe View Post
    WTB TL;DR
    /10char
    ah I see Mr Ugly Avatar that never posts anything relevant worth listening to is back.
    Last edited by Mong; 04-10-2011 at 04:03 AM.
    Mong Grel
    Happiness is a Warm AC20
    EQ/DAoC/SWG/WOW/EQ2/EVE/Shadowbane/LOTRO/PotBS/WAR/AION/RIFT
    Vista Ultimate x64 Asus P6T7 I7 D0 920@3.8 TRUE Copper 3x2G Corsair 1600 2x Core216GTX260 3xWD Raptor150 R0 Areca 1210 4x1TB WD RE3's Antec CP-850 PSU Antec 1200 modded

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Coinspinner View Post
    OP,

He could be a Colbert fan.

Gotta remain positive.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonris89 View Post
    He could be a Colbert fan.

Gotta remain positive.

Quote Originally Posted by Coinspinner View Post
    OP,

No I am not

Now to those others who replied: Did you actually read what I said? And did any read this from CNN? http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/gaming....ine/index.html

I really hope that someone out there sees what it is that I am saying. No one should have to play what they are told, and everyone should always do their part when in a group so to get to same objective.

Some of these replies had me scratching my head and just confirming why I rarely post anything here. I read alot of topics and post and see that there is way to much fricken flaming and abuse to whom ever post. Well, no matter, I got what I believe needed to be said and fine with that. I believe that someday (soon I hope) someone down the line is going to say same thing and like a light bulb it will finally click to those regarding this issue of what it is that is trying to be said and then moving on to just play the damn game and have fun.

Thumbs down

well first lets address the reason why people dont read this. it is very long but the major problem is your constant changing of text colors. its cute when kids do it for posters, its irritating to read, especially when you put blue and dark green on a dark blue background.

cookie cutter builds are basicaly a list of required talents needed for a specific role with suggestions on what to do on the rest. they exist here too, they just gave us room for more specific roles rather than a general tank spec offered in most games.
    however, it you join as something, you need to be prepared to play that role. and if you refuse to play anything but a certain roll<so many rogues i know refuse to play anything but an assassin spec, course that works best for me, im a versatile rogue willing to change to most anything im needed for>then you should be punished by losing your spot to someone that will.
    THE TRANSITION TO REAL LIFE
    PVP:I joined the military to snipe some punks but everyone cries too much when i team kill.>_<
    PVE:so I decided to go hunting, which was pretty fun till i accidentally right clicked a critter, freaking little girl wouldn't stop crying about her cat.
    Crafting:bug report: fix the wood nodes! they aren't sparkly so i cant find them!

+ Reply to Thread