+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 4 Archtypes, 32 souls: The ultimate form of 'having everything handed to us' ?

Rift Disciple

Default 4 Archtypes, 32 souls: The ultimate form of 'having everything handed to us' ?

So you can level to 50 with one class, but that somehow means you also earned 8 other classes at level 50 too? Or you spent an equal amount of time on a bunch of different souls on your way to 50, but that somehow means that you put in enough time with each of them to deserve having all of them capped?

Does that make sense? Especially in a game that is EXTREMELY easy to level to cap.

I leveled 2 characters to 50, so I now have 16 level 50 classes. Half of the classes in the game at cap, with only 3 weeks spent on leveling, in which I didn't even 'hardcore' grind or quest. If you really try, you can have every single class in the game at max level in a matter of 2 weeks or less.

IMO it would have been MUCH better if each soul had their own experience bar and they each leveled up based on time spent playing with them. It takes any feeling of accomplishment or a feeling of having to earn high level characters when 8 of them are given to you when you only have to spend time leveling one.

This also takes away any challenge from gathering up the right classes for raids. Oh lets see, we only have 4 classes to choose from, and they can all change to fill any role already maxed out with the click of a button!

Then again, the super easy factor of getting everything without effort might have been what attracted to many people to the game, since todays generation of gamer's don't like to work for anything.

You are confusing challenge with tedium. Stop doing that.

I've played over 30 MMORPGs since 1999 - and Rift is by FAR the easiest one of them all - with the macro system and super easy PvE - it's just a cakewalk to 50.

If you are that much of a masochist go play FFXI. There shouldn't be challenge in getting the group for a raid together, the challenge should be the actual raid itself.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Sandoichi View Post
    This also takes away any challenge from gathering up the right classes for raids. Oh lets see, we only have 4 classes to choose from, and they can all change to fill any role already maxed out with the click of a button!
    I don't understand how this is a bad thing.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Nooodle View Post
    You are confusing challenge with tedium. Stop doing that.
    Ok, then in that respect there is no challenge in any game. Everything is just tedious. Perhaps then we should log in and automatically have all 4 archtypes already at 50 with sets of the best gear in the game for each role.

Quote Originally Posted by Always
    I've played over 30 MMORPGs since 1999 - and Rift is by FAR the easiest one of them all - with the macro system and super easy PvE - it's just a cakewalk to 50.
    Indeed. I actually enjoyed the time spent leveling to cap in EQ1 since the zones felt more than just 'click npc A, get quest to kill 10 mobX. Click npc B, get quest to gather 10 item X. Repeat for 50 levels'

It was actually a challenge to survive. Seeing people shout "TRAIN!!!" then watching people scatter every few minutes in some zones were hilarious. Then, once you got to level cap there was a reason to leave town and continue to kill mobs other than gear, and there were actually zones built for end game mob killing, rather than a handful of dungeons you can do once a day.

Seriously, I hope to see the day when a game developer actually goes back to the old style of making MMORPGs that actually are hard to conquer, not this 'hand out everything for free' crap that is the current trend in the market. Guarantee those games will have a longer lasting player base than these ones. It is pretty obvious when you lose more than half of your server population within the first month of release that this style of game gets boring way too quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Mordithin
    If you are that much of a masochist go play FFXI. There shouldn't be challenge in getting the group for a raid together, the challenge should be the actual raid itself.
    Oh yes there shouldn't be any challenge at all building your character to the point where they are raid capable. I also wouldn't exactly call a raid challenging when it gets beaten 2 weeks into a games release.

Soulwalker

If you really want to see a game that hands out everything, it would be wow.... This IMO is something Trion actually did do right though. Having the ability to play a different spec is a plus for me...

I'm happy I don't have to go to a trainer, pay for a respec, and add all my points everytime I want to switch from dps to tank.

If anything I think you should at least have to do a ridiculously long and tedious quest to unlock additional roles.... but then we would have an endless string of posts complaining about that.....

It seems no matter what they do, people will complain about it, there is no winning here.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by lewyk View Post
    If you really want to see a game that hands out everything, it would be wow.... This IMO is something Trion actually did do right though. Having the ability to play a different spec is a plus for me...
    You know, even when WoW was brand new, it took much longer to get all characters to level cap then it does in Rift right? It was a lot harder too.

Quote Originally Posted by lewyk
    I'm happy I don't have to go to a trainer, pay for a respec, and add all my points everytime I want to switch from dps to tank.
    We aren't talking about having 4 specs available here. We are talking about having every soul automatically maxed out regardless of which you leveled with.

If anything I think you should at least have to do a ridiculously long and tedious quest to unlock additional roles.... but then we would have an endless string of posts complaining about that.....
    Well, having an individual exp bar for each soul would have solved this. People would actually have to spend time with their souls to have them capped out. It would certainly add so much more playtime to this game.

It seems no matter what they do, people will complain about it, there is no winning here.
    Yes, this is true. And it is unfortunate that game developers are afraid of people whining about having to do work in their games so they continue to make them easier and easier and easier.

[QUOTE=Sandoichi;2080003] Seriously, I hope to see the day when a game developer actually goes back to the old style of making MMORPGs that actually are hard to conquer /QUOTE]

They might, if more people actually thought that was fun. But it seems like more people just want to play a game, not have a second life. Thus, MMOs are being developed the way they've been done since EQ2 & WoW came out, & that's not likely to change.

Of course, you could just go back to EQ1. That's a serious suggestion, BTW; I don't mean to sound dismissive or cavalier. I hate to see people continuing to play a game when they don't seem to enjoy it all that much, when they'd be better off playing a game they like better & actually having fun.
    Fare thee well
    Let your life proceed by its own design
    Nothing to tell
    Let the words be yours, I'm done with mine.

You're complaining about one of the main selling points of the game? Why exactly are you playing?

Quote Originally Posted by Sandoichi View Post
    We are talking about having every soul automatically maxed out regardless of which you leveled with
    What do you mean by "maxed out"?
    Fare thee well
    Let your life proceed by its own design
    Nothing to tell
    Let the words be yours, I'm done with mine.

Turn it into a grind fest then. Now we have 100+ "I QUIT QQ!" posts because the game is too hard.
    Amiga 500
    512k + 512k upgrade
    80mb H.D.D
    2 x external 3 1/2" floppy drives
    Cruiser turbo joystick
    ^ ^ ^
    Best gaming machine ever made lols at your epeen pc rigs.

I think there is some merit to leveling each soul somewhat.. However.. too late now.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Chenne View Post
    Turn it into a grind fest then. Now we have 100+ "I QUIT QQ!" posts because the game is too hard.
    We already have 100+ "I QUIT QQ!" posts because the game is too easy, has an extreme lack of endgame content both PvP and PvE.

Who cares if people make posts saying the game is too hard, that doesn't mean anything. Most people who play the game don't post on the forums or even have a registered forum account so you have to get in game to get a more accurate interpretation of how people feel. Look at the member count on the bottom of the forums: 237,000. Trion claims they had over a million accounts created like 2 months ago, so there is certainly a huge gap between forum users and actual players.

Quote Originally Posted by Aumvaar
    What do you mean by "maxed out"?
    Meaning you can have 5 souls that you never spent a single point in or had active one time before you hit level 50, but now you can switch to them and allocate full 51 points into them.

Quote Originally Posted by Aumvaar
    They might, if more people actually thought that was fun. But it seems like more people just want to play a game, not have a second life. Thus, MMOs are being developed the way they've been done since EQ2 & WoW came out, & that's not likely to change.
    All of the recent MMOs that have been developed this way are already extinct. You can have an unpolished game with bugs and other issues that take time to get sorted out, but if the core of the game is still fun and holds peoples attention, they will keep playing it.

Every MMO that follows the "WoW Model" fails. Developers automatically assume that if they make their game extremely similar to WoW, it will succeed. Huge Mistake. One of these days, a game company will go outside the current 'norm' and find great success with something different.

Bye, then.
    Western companies and their investors don't see much value in the masochistic 0.001% of gamers that want the grind tedium as severe as possible.

Go play some Korean MMOs.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast