+ Reply to Thread

Thread: with new loot, new tanks?

Sword of Telara

Default with new loot, new tanks?

Not QQ, real deal question.

I have a 38 war and a 38 cleric. I love to tank.

With the new loot added to game, are clerics able to tank everything w/o a huge *** grind for plaques?

Looking for opinions, end game, cleric > war vs. war > cleric

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Corebot View Post

With the new loot added to game, are clerics able to tank everything w/o a huge *** grind for plaques?

ofc they are. and your forgetting rogue tanks altough its quite alot harder for rogues to learn to tank as it has the hardest learning curve.

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by bahizret View Post
    ofc they are. and your forgetting rogue tanks altough its quite alot harder for rogues to learn to tank as it has the hardest learning curve.
    My friend plays a rogue tank, i've healed him through many instances and he does quite well. I just dont have any interest in rolling a 3rd char ;)

I know the major hurdle for clerics was gear, hoping to hear from some clerics that tank high end content that the gear makes tanking a more positive/less grindy process

Soulwalker

I'm wondering what this hard leveling curve is on Riftstalker's. All the ones I know pretty much say tanking as one consists of rotating keeping up Riftguard and Guarded Steel, smashing their aoe on cooldown every 8 seconds if their are multiple mobs and if their isn't alternating between phantom blow and their "very high threat" CP spam ability to fuel the upkeep of the aforementioned Riftguard and Guarded Steel.

That rotation doesn't seem any more complex then any other tank.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Corebot View Post

Can't speak for loot while leveling, but now leather and chain tank loot drops as often as plate tank loot. So instead of having to buy full tier gear, you get random drops as well. It will make gearing up easier, though I have no idea how much more loot there is since I haven't looked at all.

In terms of war vs. cleric... well everyone I know swears by warriors, but personally I run with one of 3 tanks most days; 2 wars and 1 cleric. I really prefer the cleric tank since they seem to take roughly the same damage, but the cleric gets +healing received buffs (no idea if wars do too), they can battle rez, and they are able to consistently heal themselves. Of course wars do also have more varied specs which help at times. A full void knight tank on a 100% caster boss is amazing.

high end tanks didnt want the blue gear tho

they wanted epics and most of the **** added was blue

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by yelgis View Post
    I'm wondering what this hard leveling curve is on Riftstalker's. All the ones I know pretty much say tanking as one consists of rotating keeping up Riftguard and Guarded Steel, smashing their aoe on cooldown every 8 seconds if their are multiple mobs and if their isn't alternating between phantom blow and their "very high threat" CP spam ability to fuel the upkeep of the aforementioned Riftguard and Guarded Steel.

Actually, this is part of the rotation, the learning curve part comes from the fact if you slip once...just once, mobs are all over the place...warriors can taunt on pull, aoe taunt, auto attack and go make a damn sandwich...

Rogue tanking takes constant supervision and mobility, we don't have block to eat those directional attacks so we have to move with the group a lot. I'm not for a second saying it takes epic great skill but it is harder. I have a 50 warrior and a 50 rogue, warrior is 1000% easier to tank as due to thats their main mechanic. Rogues just take more of an attention span then a 6 year old kid with add in school

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by yelgis View Post

ever noticed how often warrior tanks fail at aggro ? i havn't tbh. if they fail its becous they are afk or something.

for rogues thats a different story. and it isn't just alternating between phantom and the other cous then your already doing it wrong. you need to look constantly at your 4 buffs to keep them going. then you need to keep an eye on aoe mobs as yes you only have 2 aoe skills 1 with a 8 sec cd and another with a 45 sec cd, most of the time thats not enough to hold aoe threat above mages and clerics -> you need to start tabbing trough your targets and still try to keep your finishing moves up.

also in the start of the fight you have nothing up yet wich makes you extremely weak compared to other tanks. you need to get them up as fast as possible and the order of wich you build up first and with how much cp matters aswel.

so just thinking its just another rotation is kinda wrong in my eyes. i myself aint the most experianced rogue tank as i don't like tanking dungeons its to complicated in my opinion. and if you don't have a half competent healer with you you'll die often at the first pull becous you have no finishers up. tanking in raids like raid rifts (wich i've done before) is less troublesome as you have way easyer and more healers keeping attention on you specially at start.

+ Reply to Thread