+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wtf? Dodge works against spells?

Default Wtf? Dodge works against spells?

So... I was in a wf and I fought one rogue. I missed 6 times in a row soul purge on him one time. Later in the same wf I applied just 1 spell from maybe 5-6, other miss.

I asked my mates whats wrong and they told me thats because he is bladedancer -> sick dodge chance but dodge shoul work against physical attacks only.

So tell me:I'm stupid, they are stupid or this rogue is exploiter or I dont know anything about dodge mechanics? xD
    Last edited by Bronthion; 04-07-2011 at 06:53 AM.

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Bronthion View Post
    So... I was in a wf and I fought one rogue. I missed 6 times in a row soul purge on him one time. Later in the same wf I applied just 1 spell from maybe 5-6, other miss.

I asked my mates whats wrong and they told me thats because he is bladedancer -> sick dodge chance but dodge shoul work against physical attacks only.

So tell me:I'm stupid, they are stupid or this rogue is exploiter or I dont know anything about dodge mechanics? xD
    maybe
    http://rift.ign.com/wiki/Blackout

Plane Touched

miss =/= dodge.

He was likely using Blackout.

Use a non-dmg CC, bam, either he pops a second 2 minute cooldown or he's stuck twiddling his thumbs. Damaging CC might still apply, but probably not, missing as a rogue doesn't let theirs land.

...but dodge shoul work against physical attacks only.
    Yes, they can be dodged. Spells can't be blocked. Spells can't be parried. Dodge is the only other chance another player has against a caster.

In Trion's infinite wisdom, they decided to not let shields block spells.

Sounds more like a Nightblade than a Bladedancer.
    A PRO QUOTE BELOW:
    Quote Originally Posted by Stigas View Post
    You seem to be happy with Eradicate. I'm glad. The longer it stays in, the better. It's a non-threat spec. You're there to Purge things. I can avoid that by either making sure you're focused first, to which you have no answer, or I can go Pyro or SC and let you Eradicate all day.

Blackout? Ok thank you for solution Another thing that I have to learn

Rift Disciple

Blackout? Ok thank you for solution Another thing that I have to learn
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M_b_..VVr0z is pretty nice too
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenixfire82 View Post
    i spam the **** out of fulminate, in fact it's the only skill i need on my bar

<3 u fulminate

Spells should be able to be dodged, makes sense. If energy flies out and misses the target, why should the target be affected by it?

Of course, blocking should not work. If spell energy strikes a thin metal or wood barrier someone's holding, it's still hitting the target. Perhaps some of the damage should be blocked, but generally it should still "land".
    Red ball + fulminate + really craptacular dom/pyro spec trying to hard cast transmog and pray your spell lands before some squirrel punching moron eats your controlled opp proc = +1 board warrior keeping mages from being realistically balanced in PVE or PVP. 1.0-1.2's best combo in the game. RIP FOTM Pyro rollers

Uh, nice. That seems pretty strong.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Spells should be able to be dodged, makes sense. If energy flies out and misses the target, why should the target be affected by it?

Of course, blocking should not work. If spell energy strikes a thin metal or wood barrier someone's holding, it's still hitting the target. Perhaps some of the damage should be blocked, but generally it should still "land".
    Are you actually using real world physics to talk about how a magical spell should or should not feel against a piece of wood/metal in a fantasy video game?

Quote Originally Posted by Indasoth View Post
    Are you actually using real world physics to talk about how a magical spell should or should not feel against a piece of wood/metal in a fantasy video game?
    Eh, just sayin that I wouldn't have a problem with things working that way is all.

Hell, if we want to go full blown fantasy, a mage should be able to rip open portals to the planes and get entire groups of people sucked into them instantly. Or summon dragons or other creatures that make necro and elementalist pets look like jokes. Etc. etc.

I like a little realism in my fantasy thank you :P
    Red ball + fulminate + really craptacular dom/pyro spec trying to hard cast transmog and pray your spell lands before some squirrel punching moron eats your controlled opp proc = +1 board warrior keeping mages from being realistically balanced in PVE or PVP. 1.0-1.2's best combo in the game. RIP FOTM Pyro rollers

In DAOC only some spells can be blocked by shields. Its the best compromise I've seen. If you cast a bolt, or any type of projectile spell, there's a % block chance with a shield. But a DoT spell can't be blocked (if I'm remembering correctly). Basically where a resistance type check isn't appropriate, they allow a block chance. So a CC spell would get a resistance check, but a Void Bolt would get a block check, followed by dmg reduction based on armor (if it hits).

I think there should be one check for resistance/blocking etc for each spell, and only one check. But spells that have to go through more than one check (like if they had to pass a block THEN a resist) should be more powerful than avg to account for the higher risk-reward in casting a spell that has to pass 2 checks to succeed. You take the risk of having it be non-effective, but are compensated for that risk with a bigger payoff if the spell lands. It goes along with the whole mage mentality of being more of a glass cannon and enjoying the risky playstyle.

+ Reply to Thread