+ Reply to Thread

Thread: There are NO "Pure" classes in Rift.

Soulwalker

Default There are NO "Pure" classes in Rift.

This is a Public Service Announcement:

There are FOUR classes in Rift: Warrior, Cleric, Rogue (note the spelling!) and Mage. When you create a new character you choose one of these four classes. Your Soul, or choice of souls, is NOT your class. That is your spec. For a few plat, you can change this spec by seeing a trainer. Also you can have up to four of them pre-saved, and can switch between those four for free.

Every one of the four classes in Trion is a Hybrid. There are NO pure classes. Every single class can DPS. All but Warriors can heal. All but Mages can tank. There are NO pure classes. In other words, there is NO hybrid tax. If there was a hybrid tax, everyone would have to be taxed, and we all end up in the same place. You can argue that two classes have one less option than the other two. While this is true, they are still hybrid.

Whenever you argue that Warriors should be the best tank, or Mages the best DPS, or Clerics the best healer, you make a fool of yourself. Trion clearly made Rift with the flexibility of the Souls system in mind. All classes should be able to DPS effectively. If Cleric and Rogue DPS is not up to Warrior and Mage DPS this is a problem. If Riftstalkers and Justicars can't tank as effectively as Warriors, this is a problem.
    A cleric that goes 51pts into, say, Inquisitor, should NOT be outDPS'd by a Mage in equal gear, and equal skill. Similarly for a 51pt Chloro healing, or a 51pt Riftstalker tanking.

Having more Tanking souls, like warriors do, or more healing souls, like clerics do, should only allow for more *different* ways of achieving the same goal. It can also allow for potential benefits in some niche cases. It should not make a class "overpowered" in every possible scenario with respect to others.

Finally, if you spell Rogue "Rouge" I will rage so hard my fist will pop out of your computer screen and smack you silly.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Cereal View Post
    Finally, if you spell Rogue "Rouge" I will rage so hard my fist will pop out of your computer screen and smack you silly.
    This.^^

Also, PvP-wise, it seems rather than completely balancing things out by making them all equal (which would in turn make all classes play too similarly, which isn't good), they make one class a weakness to another class. Such as mana user's vulnerability to Void Knights and other mana burners, Mage's squishy exterior which makes them vulnerable to physical classes, most Warrior's inability to attack with range abilities while Bull Rush is on CD, so on and so forth.

Shadowlander

I don't see your point. This is not wow, why even compare something in wow to rift? Each soul is it's own class dude. What makes you think theres only 4 classes?

Soulwalker

I think what the OP was trying to get across is that the closest thing to a defined class is the archetypal roles. The souls, which you could argue are each a separate class, within your build all fall under that archetype regardless of their differences. And even then each soul can be specced differently and its that combination of those specs that defines your character's abilities.

In short I agree with the OP you can't rage about the roles(like DPS, healing, tanking etc) of archetypes like you can about class balance in most games.

Edit: minor grammar oversight
    Last edited by themachine; 04-07-2011 at 07:26 AM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Loroes View Post
    This is not wow
    Correct.

Each soul is it's own class dude.
    Wrong.

What makes you think theres only 4 classes?
    A class is what you pick when you create a new character. Once chosen, it cannot be changed. If you want to play a different one, you make a new character.

A "spec" is a series of choices that tinker or change how this class plays. The differences can be minor, or major, but going from one to another generally only requires, at the most, an expenditure of the games currency.

You speak of WoW, but this has been true in all MMOs I have played, including recent ones like WAR, Aion, STO, etc.

Now, in RIFT: To go from Necro to Pyro, and back, you open your soul tree (Rift's name for your "spec" tab), and press "activate". This makes Necro and Pyro *specs*, not classes.
    Last edited by Dr Cereal; 04-07-2011 at 07:35 AM.

Do we really need a "hybrid tax" thread even here?
    I read them for 3 years almost every day...

But, I do drive a hybrid...

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Cereal View Post
    Correct.

Wrong.

A class is what you pick when you create a new character. Once chosen, it cannot be changed. If you want to play a different one, you make a new character.
    Yeah except it Rift it's more commonly known as a Calling.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Stupot View Post
    Yeah except it Rift it's more commonly known as a Calling.
    Not really. Scroll to the top, and what do you see:

ForumRift General --> Discussions --> Classes of Telara --> There are NO "Pure" classes in Rift.
    Let me call your attention to this part:

--> Classes of Telara -->
    --> Classes

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Qlippoth View Post
    Do we really need a "hybrid tax" thread even here?
    I read them for 3 years almost every day...
    The reason I made this post is because I'm tired of reading people on these forums argue that there should be a hybrid tax in this game. I see threads with names like "clerics should be the best healers", and "Mage DPS should be the best".

Next time I see people arguing this nonsense, I'll link them to this post. I hope you do too.
    Last edited by Dr Cereal; 04-07-2011 at 08:02 AM.

+ Reply to Thread