+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Magic Resistances and Nerf to GoS = Viable mage fix?

  1. #1
    Soulwalker Nsain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    9

    Lightbulb Magic Resistances and Nerf to GoS = Viable mage fix?

    Everyone has been posting about mages being so broken and everything, I do agree of course. (Yes I do play a warrior but try not to let that destroy this post for you). I am just trying to consider options for fixing this solution rather than being the normal NERF THEM INTO THE GROUND attitude. Mages before 1.1 were terrible, we all know that. Now after 1.1 they are literally facerolling everything in sight. A possible solution I feel to this would be the implementation of resistances. Successfull PvP games (DAoC in particular) used mechanics for spell resistances. Just as there is armor to weaken melee classes there should be resistances on armor to mitigate spell damage. It makes zero sense to have no magic resists. If Trion would consider placing magic resists on items currently implemented, or implement runes available to every item slot that have large amounts of magic resist this could definitely help mitigate damage as well as increase players ability to resist spells. I cannot remember the last time I resisted a firebolt or fulminate. I honestly won't even get off onto the GoS shenanigans. That has to be nerfed, plain and simple. Once GoS is taken into account, magical resists may be a viable means of balancing mage classes overall. Just my 2 cents. Please don't troll/rant in this. Just looking for constructive criticism.

  2. #2
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    3,116

    Default

    spell resist exists...do you even use the character sheet, or essences?

    also, my gear has enough random focus on it, because i dont have full pvp gear, that you will never have enough resist to avoid my spells, worry more about your % mitigation from resist.

    almost ALL of the faction vendors sell crafting recipes for resist gear, if you were that worried about pyros you could gear to counter it.

  3. #3
    Soulwalker Nsain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    9

    Thumbs down

    Quote Originally Posted by Caldern View Post
    spell resist exists...do you even use the character sheet, or essences?

    also, my gear has enough random focus on it, because i dont have full pvp gear, that you will never have enough resist to avoid my spells, worry more about your % mitigation from resist.

    almost ALL of the faction vendors sell crafting recipes for resist gear, if you were that worried about pyros you could gear to counter it.
    So you are saying in your post that I must gear my character ENTIRELY in resist gear that is crafted, gimping all of my other stats, in order to resist or mitigate 5% of your ridiculous pyro damage let alone being able to dps through your GoS? I asked for constructive criticism, which this is not. Next post please.

  4. #4
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    3,116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nsain View Post
    So you are saying in your post that I must gear my character ENTIRELY in resist gear that is crafted, gimping all of my other stats, in order to resist or mitigate 5% of your ridiculous pyro damage let alone being able to dps through your GoS? I asked for constructive criticism, which this is not. Next post please.
    I have 5% fire damage mitigation just from my essences, which are also the best dps essences i have found so far. If they were epics from raid rifts it would quite easily be 8-10% mitigation.

    the crafted rings and necklaces are like 30 resist, with very minor loss in stats(5-10 strength points for an extra 5% or more mitigation seems worth it if you really fear pyros)

    [edit] admitting you are unwilling to alter your playstyle or gear to counter something is pro i hear
    Last edited by Caldern; 04-06-2011 at 09:35 AM.

  5. #5
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    222

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Caldern View Post
    I have 5% fire damage mitigation just from my essences, which are also the best dps essences i have found so far. If they were epics from raid rifts it would quite easily be 8-10% mitigation.

    the crafted rings and necklaces are like 30 resist, with very minor loss in stats(5-10 strength points for an extra 5% or more mitigation seems worth it if you really fear pyros)

    [edit] admitting you are unwilling to alter your playstyle or gear to counter something is pro i hear
    Unfortunately, gearing yourself to counter one soul of one class to the point of running x-number of a certain raid rift over months, and then being hit for 1500+ crit >AoEs< from other souls within that class, and having to do said grinding again...

    As unreasonable as HE is, it is still more reasonable than your solution.

    Easier just to add a wider variety of resist buffs within warrior trees, and some rogue trees. NB has +15% fire/death resist, makes pyros *bearable*. Its not too far in, and still sucks to have to get, but many people dip a bit into NB anyway for the +15% damage. Like say giving sab earth resists and bard life or something, just slap it on something thats normally low-priority like in Nb (3% dmg is attached to it, low-priority for PvE).

    Would make builds a bit more unique too, but hey, w/e.

  6. #6
    Plane Touched Lemmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    275

    Default

    Must admit, I was surprised at just how low the actual %resistance is that resist items gives you.

    When you take into account the amount of magical damage types out there, it doesn't really seem worth trying to stack them. Wonder if this was intended?

    I would have expected something like if plate armour gives you 50% physical mit, you should be able to get around 15-20% magical mit for all magic types as easily as you get your 50% physical.
    Soo heavy armour would provide more defence vs physical than magical. But cloth would provide less vs physical than it does magical - if you follow..

    Seems you can't block/parry/dodge spells too.. There's just no defence.

  7. #7
    Plane Touched Lemmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    275

    Default

    Got news for you.. There are 27 pvp servers vs 33 pve.

    27 servers full of people who value pvp more than pve.
    The other 33 also have people doing WF's..
    The fact is that most players do both.

    If you think they will screw balance further in PVP - hacking off half the player base, you are sorely mistaken.

    They will try to balance both. Now go back to your little corner and nurse your PVE-superiority complex.
    Last edited by Gill; 04-08-2011 at 06:39 AM. Reason: Reply to a post that was removed

  8. #8
    Ascendant TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3,006

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
    Got news for you.. There are 27 pvp servers vs 33 pve.

    27 servers full of people who value pvp more than pve.
    Well, not those Briarcliff people. Sorry, I mean "team dragonslayer"!

    lol
    Last edited by TheLeviathan; 04-08-2011 at 03:16 AM.
    Red ball + fulminate + really craptacular dom/pyro spec trying to hard cast transmog and pray your spell lands before some squirrel punching moron eats your controlled opp proc = +1 board warrior keeping mages from being realistically balanced in PVE or PVP. 1.0-1.2's best combo in the game. RIP FOTM Pyro rollers

  9. #9
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    222

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Well, not those Briarcliff people. Sorry, I mean "team dragonslayer"!

    lol
    You're @harrow aren't you.

  10. #10
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    3,116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kungfuchknoodle View Post
    Unfortunately, gearing yourself to counter one soul of one class to the point of running x-number of a certain raid rift over months, and then being hit for 1500+ crit >AoEs< from other souls within that class, and having to do said grinding again...

    As unreasonable as HE is, it is still more reasonable than your solution.

    Easier just to add a wider variety of resist buffs within warrior trees, and some rogue trees. NB has +15% fire/death resist, makes pyros *bearable*. Its not too far in, and still sucks to have to get, but many people dip a bit into NB anyway for the +15% damage. Like say giving sab earth resists and bard life or something, just slap it on something thats normally low-priority like in Nb (3% dmg is attached to it, low-priority for PvE).

    Would make builds a bit more unique too, but hey, w/e.
    there are alot of survivability boosts available in the trees out there already, i hear warriors can get like 60% spell mitigation and like 90% physical if they want to(not that that may be viable in pvp)

    and also...why wouldnt you have raid rift essences endgame? i most likely would not equip all fire essences (because not all of them are dps stats) but im sure i would make an effort to get a full 6 essences.

    i dont disagree that maybe resists need to provide a higher percentage, but he made it sound like the resist stats dont even exist. If one damage type is giving you more trouble than the others, why wouldnt you just build to counter those, knowing it leaves you open to others? I can personally live with being vulnerable to four other damage types as long as im covered for fire and death.

  11. #11
    Plane Touched Lemmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Caldern View Post
    there are alot of survivability boosts available in the trees out there already, i hear warriors can get like 60% spell mitigation and like 90% physical if they want to(not that that may be viable in pvp)
    That's fairly true - but relies on a lot of stuff being active at the same time (and being below 30% health) for the reavers' Power in the blood.
    It also means you have no dps, limited crowd-control, limited cc-breakers and not enough mana-drains to achieve anything..

    Not a useful PVP spec, no.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts