+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Power of the Wind

Default The Power of the Wind

When it comes to spellcasters, games usually have specializations in ice and fire and shadow...but what about the element of air? It always gets left out. Very few games ever give you any wind spells at all, when they do, it's very few and far between, ancillary spells. But I think that air could be an awesome specialization for a caster, with vast potential and very unique capabilities that would give them an absolutely different experience in the game than what they've had before. But then again, maybe that's just my latent desire to be Aang or Naruto speaking.
    GeeksNGamers.com- Get Plugged In!

Quote Originally Posted by Kazu View Post
    When it comes to spellcasters, games usually have specializations in ice and fire and shadow...but what about the element of air? It always gets left out. Very few games ever give you any wind spells at all, when they do, it's very few and far between, ancillary spells. But I think that air could be an awesome specialization for a caster, with vast potential and very unique capabilities that would give them an absolutely different experience in the game than what they've had before. But then again, maybe that's just my latent desire to be Aang or Naruto speaking.
    Funny you would mention Aang and Naruto at the end that was what I was thinking when you brough that up. I think abilities especially like you see in Airbender are rather interesting. While some are way over the top storms and haves can be pretty interesting.

But to base an entire soul on them I don't know, how about an Storm like class ? much like in X-Men have control over weather elements and such. Atleast then there is a little bit room for differsion of spells. Just a thought.

Regards,
    Kalbuir

I thought the same thing when i saw this post and it would be awesome to have those jutsu's like Saro, Asuma, Naruto etc. Maybe something like an elementalist who specializes in 2 elements or 3 with a heroic soul ?

Gaara.... can you imagine something like him ? He is my favorite in the Ps3 version to rock people with.

Trion has mixed the Plane of Air with that of Mental powers. I think this could be a perfect blend for a CC caster to be honest. Keep someone mezzed while throwing another against a wall? Sounds perfect!

Want a Melee Mage? Support the Theurgist!

Quote Originally Posted by Kazu View Post
    Storm might be a better idea. I never saw air as a very powerful element (I believe it wasn't in Guild Wars either but still a choice) so the choice of air is iffy. When you said Aang, all I ever saw that kid do was blow wind to make his opponents be 'stunned' in a way which can make for a good spell. I would much rather have some kind of storm specialization where that spell could be included along with electrifying spells.

I saw Kalbuir's post also, I very much agree with that idea.
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Whirlwinds and knockbacks - storm controller in CoH was an interesting 'class'.

I agree with you guys, weather control (or storm) would be an awesome alternative. I was just trying to pin the name down to an element since you usually have fire, ice, etc. But yea, I remember when VG was still in beta, the devs were telling us that Druids were going to be able to control the weather and I lost my nut over this. It never came to pass, but Druids were supposed to be able to do cool things like make it rain (not with $1 bills, real rain) and control the wind so that you would want one on your ship. Anyone else remember that? I think that weather control would be an even better choice than the one I initially mentioned, thank you guys.

Maybe that could be how the Druid would be designed. A full-out nature/weather caster, all with hurricanes for serious AoE and tornadoes, thunderstorms, in addition to the normal vines for holding and nature damage spells...that would be awesome.
    GeeksNGamers.com- Get Plugged In!

Thats how CC is done by druids in WoW as well. They levitate you with a cyclone to CC you.

Quote Originally Posted by Krassus View Post
    Thats how CC is done by druids in WoW as well. They levitate you with a cyclone to CC you.
    That was extremely annoying. The first cast was 6 seconds (6 seconds is long for pvp), you only got immunity after it was casted 3 times on you and you couldn't dispel (but you could dispel it if it was from a creature, not a player). Even though the time was cut every time it was used, it was pretty annoying.
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

I feel fairly certain we can expect an Air Mage class unveiled at some point (or, failing that, a mage class that is Air + one other element). As for abilities, here's what I figure we'd see:

Lightning: it's commonly tied to air magic, so it seems likely
    Knockbacks: via gusts of wind
    Anti-archer spells: sending wind across the battlefield that screws with an arrows flight
    Haste: moving with the "speed of the wind", and all that
    Flight/Slowfall/Levitation: depending on what the game engine allows.
    Weather Changing: EQ Druids had it, so why not?
    Mind Control: the lore dev chat said that the Air Dragon Cult was basically a hivemind controlled by the Air Dragon, so enchanter-style mind control may be part of Air Magic.

This does sound interesting.

You all seem to have forgotten the DAoC Thuergist. Air was one of the main specs for the pets with mini stuns.

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient View Post
    You all seem to have forgotten the DAoC Thuergist. Air was one of the main specs for the pets with mini stuns.
    Or the EQ1 wind pet

The air theurgist was funfun. So was the air pet. Everything i've played dealing with air has been fun to be honest. Might also be because I like CC and ragdoll physics. =p

Want a Melee Mage? Support the Theurgist!

In relation to the OP

This is a very interesting concept! I would very much like to see this, nice thinking!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast