+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Why cant the devs just test things to make sure they work?

Plane Walker

Default Why cant the devs just test things to make sure they work?

Seriously, how hard is it for someone on the dev team to just set up a test environment, load a MOB whos exact stats are known, create a character and freaking test each souls abilities and talents to make sure they do what they say they do?

I am getting sick of taking talents that dont do what they say they do and having abilities that I will never use because they dont work as listed and are just lower damage than other ones.

Most of the bugs I reported in beta are still here and if they arent going to fix them because there is something too hard to fix in them, they should just replace the god damned things with someone that works.

Ya I know right, thats why that one game where everything is flawless and theres never any problems is doing so well.

Whats the name of that game again? I forget.
    Maybe he just wanted to steal our wire cutters. You ever think of that?

Soulwalker

Oh Solitaire ya thats a great game. I thought you might be thinking of spades or checkers but since those are both multiplayer that adds elements that could be unbalanced or unfair. Even when you play these games against the computer they can be unbalanced.

Playing cards have been around for a long time but sometimes I try to pull a card from the deck and the corner is bent. When are they gonna fix the cards so they they are bentproof!!!

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Malingers View Post
    Ya I know right, thats why that one game where everything is flawless and theres never any problems is doing so well.

Whats the name of that game again? I forget.
    Guild Wars.

As a professional QA Analyst I can say without doubt that what you are asking for is impossible.

You are generalizing the situation to testing X skill against X mob. But Each Skill has how many levels of training, then every mob has different resistances/armor values. Add in the fact you have how many ways to spec each soul and the combination of souls. Add in the fact you have abilities / items that enhance damages/effects.

Trying to test this many combination it would take weeks upon weeks for little to no benefit.
    Last edited by Darkfyre; 04-06-2011 at 08:08 AM.

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Darkfyre View Post
    As a professional QA Analyst I can say without doubt that what you are asking for is impossible.

You are generalizing the situation to testing X skill against X mob. But Each Skill has how many levels of training, then every mob has different resistances/armor values. Add in the fact you have how many ways to spec each soul and the combination of souls. Add in the fact you have abilities / items that enhance damages/effects.

Trying to test this many combination it would take weeks upon weeks for little to no benefit.
    Bet you're not even in QA.

Bet you're just a forum jockey.

Trion has demonstrated that they have fairly powerful tools for accumulating and viewing data from the alpha/beta/live servers, so it really shouldn't be that hard for them to spot obvious outliers, bugs, etc. Paragon/Saboteur armor penetration bug, some players doing 30% more damage than others because of the weapon equip bug, etc. I'm not saying a perfectly balanced game with no issues is realistic, but the length of time that various balance issues have tended to exist for so far is too long.

<Ascendant> 13/13 Seastone Defiant

It is why you establish boundary cases. It most certainly is possible to come up with a feasible test plan to test software. That being said, ya, go back to your box OP, obviously they did testing, but it is still a product, a product made by man, thus there is going to be flaws.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Vember View Post
    Guild Wars.
    I lol'd.

I agree, it's a pretty polished and balanced game. It is, however, breaking the 4-5 year old mark, and I don't think it wouldn't be like that after so long. =P

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Dennet View Post
    I lol'd.

I agree, it's a pretty polished and balanced game. It is, however, breaking the 4-5 year old mark, and I don't think it wouldn't be like that after so long. =P
    And now we're getting Guild Wars 2

The big thing I like about Arena Net is that when something is imbalanced, they fix it immediately. None of this waiting for 2 months while overpowered classes or abilities run rampant until the next patch hits.

And now we're getting Guild Wars 2

The big thing I like about Arena Net is that when something is imbalanced, they fix it immediately. None of this waiting for 2 months while overpowered classes or abilities run rampant until the next patch hits.
    This game is only holding me over until Gw2. The game looks amazing and the dynamic world going to put Rift to shame. That's a real next gen MMO.

This is just-

Wow+ invasions/rifts - End game + a ton souls + the fact that a good amount of them are useless + huge balance issues + Same old combat system + Even worse then normal end game grind = Pretty much the same old thing in a new pretty bow, maybe a little worse.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzhCXvhlpCs
    Indeed warriors needed the nerf and mages are needed help, as seen in the video. See how the poor kid struggles to earn his food money.^^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaevF...eature=related
    And the poor Cleric above...He's having such a ruff time. ^^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1iCw1F_ooo
    Even rogues have it ruff ^^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2N-lc...layer_embedded
    But here's a warrior AoE grinding ^^ Watch as he crits the crowd for 9999.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyReaver View Post
    This game is only holding me over until Gw2. The game looks amazing and the dynamic world going to put Rift to shame. That's a real next gen MMO.

This is just-

Wow+ invasions/rifts - End game + a ton souls + the fact that a good amount of them are useless + huge balance issues + Same old combat system + Even worse then normal end game grind = Pretty much the same old thing in a new pretty bow, maybe a little worse.
    Quite crying and quit already. Its amazing how many people cry yet still continue to play and pay. Trion has been very quick to fix things. Have fun with GW2.. I like how people compare a game not even released yet to something already running smooth. Have you tested GW2? Have you seen this world or just read about it.

The more people like you that quit will make this game and forums even better. I am tired of reading this garbage. Your going to move to another game and just cry and complain there too. Enjoy!

Telaran

Guild Wars.

The guild wars solution was quite ingenious. Make it so you can change class/spec/gear at any time. Trion should steal that too.

If GW2 has that capability, it will be light years ahead of Rift.
    Last edited by KingBee; 04-06-2011 at 07:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcavia View Post
    Quit** crying and quit already. Its amazing how many people cry yet still continue to play and pay. Trion has been very quick to fix things. Have fun with GW2.. I like how people compare a game not even released yet to something already running smooth. Have you tested GW2? Have you seen this world or just read about it.

The more people like you that quit will make this game and forums even better. I am tired of reading this garbage. Your going to move to another game and just cry and complain there too. Enjoy!
    So far Trion has mostly broke things. There are huge bugs in this game that have been around and reported on since beta, stealth nerfs they never confirm or deny and balance at end game is WAY off. Like I said I'm playing this till GW2 comes out.

Also GW1 was amazingly well put together. If problem arose and it was fixed right away, in days not months. It was well balanced, hell its more balanced then any mmo I've played. Most importantly for a game that was F2P the devs really seemed to care about what the players had to say. So no, I have not played GW2 yet, but it looks amazing and even the ideas behind it are truly new and original.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzhCXvhlpCs
    Indeed warriors needed the nerf and mages are needed help, as seen in the video. See how the poor kid struggles to earn his food money.^^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaevF...eature=related
    And the poor Cleric above...He's having such a ruff time. ^^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1iCw1F_ooo
    Even rogues have it ruff ^^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2N-lc...layer_embedded
    But here's a warrior AoE grinding ^^ Watch as he crits the crowd for 9999.

Plane Walker

It shouldnt take weeks if the dev team has given itself the correct tools to use. Even in MUDs we had the ability to spawn and edit mobs so we could test things with exact known values. If you wanted to test an armor pierce effect, you spawn a mob, set its armor, hit it with an exact damage value and see how much damage it takes.

I am not talking about testing combinations, I am talking about testing each ability to make sure that one ability does what it should, as many dont.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast