+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: [Build] The Battle Cleric

Default [Build] The Battle Cleric

FINALLY!

Yeah... I finally had the time.

Merry Christmas from the Ace of Grapes Wine Co.

Rough Video to Text Translation:

Essentially, the Battle Cleric I went with in CB2 is 20 Shaman/0 Warden/0 Sentinel.

Some of the key abilities of this build are;

0pt Warden: Heal over Time with no cd, and 12s duration.
    0pt Sentinel: Instant heal with an 8s cd.

Shamans can heal when crit, it is on a 6s cd. If you're fighting melee DPS, it's almost always up.

Shamans also get a shield at level 10. It worked out to be anywhere from 20-40% of my hp at any given time depending on buffs. It's a fixed value, but the fixed value of new ranks was pretty awesome (towards the 30-40% area) while coming down as I leveled up into and past that rank (the 20-30% area).

Shamans get charge at 26. It can't be used in combat like the Champion charge (Bull Rush) can, but it's on a 15s cd, and basically allows you to lock down a target once you get the jump on them... main reason being... Shamans get a 1h buff that snares by 50% for 6s every time they hit something.

Mana is also not really an issue. There is a 30s buff on a 2m cd that returns mana to the Shaman when they hit stuff. I tried to see if using my AoE returned more mana... the jury is still out on that one. Partially because the AoE costs a bit more mana. Then again, a 2nd hit should have made up for the cost. Some fights it seemed like it worked that way, other times, it was debatable.

As far as attacks go, it's actually quite simple.

There are really only two.

0pt Shaman attack, Thunderous Slam.
    Early on in the Shaman root, Massive Blow.

Massive Blow is your big hit, it's on a 15s cd and at 18pts into the branch, you can give Thunderous Slam a 30% chance to refresh the cd on Massive Blow.

I found that mechanic much better than the execute ability that Champions get, because it's almost always up (while being low enough to not be up every swing, or sometimes for 3 or 4 swings), and has no hp% requirement. Massive Blow can be used all the time. Execute on the Champ wasn't quite always there for me as much, because if you have one or two attack points at the time, it's kind of a waste since you then have to wait for the GCDs to give you 3 AP to maximize the use of the skill. In PvP you aren't always standing in the same spot for more than 2 or 3 seconds at a time, so that window of opportunity to use the Champion's execute could easily just vanish if you're CC'd/target gets distance/etc.

Not so with Massive Blow.

There are various builds for Battle Clerics.

20 Justicar is a more tanky variation. They carry a shield, they can heal on hit, they can also increase their block value by a certain amount of their spell power. Spell power from WIS affects the Warden, Sentinel and Shaman heal also. I really like the fact that stats are made to be pertinent, and players really only have to worry about, at most, 3 stats. Generally 2; the one they use to do their job, and their HP.

Another variation is 0 Druid for the pet. The pet casts a hot on the owner, and damages enemies, but everything requires a cast time. Dueling another Battle Cleric, I saw much more success with killing the pet first. The 0pt pets have a level cap in the early to mid 20s (if I'm not mistaken), which will make them useless in end game despite how useful they are now. Which is why I don't really see all the fuss people raised a while ago. Then again, things could go differently.

Mages are also pretty beast. I dueled one who shut me down repeatedly, since I spent about 60% of the fight running away from him. Shamans are very susceptible to CC. I believe he was Dominator or Stormcaller, since those are the CC souls. The damage buffer before CC breaks is useful, since it makes CC noticable, without being locked out of your character for extended periods of time over and over. I could get to him, I could hurt him, but he'd just send me away, finishing duels at about 20-40% of his hp.

Battle Clerics aren't that OP, which is a part of the beauty of the system. For every build out there, there is a counter available. Watching a Battle Cleric walk into a rift or invasion and tank a bunch of mobs is all well and good, but mobs don't CC, they don't debuff healing, they don't do the things that shut down a Battle Cleric, which players can do with their builds.

Side note, Prifier is useless to Shaman based Battle Clerics. The 0 pt Purifier shield is on the same cd as the 10pt Shaman shield. So it's worth sticking it out to level 10, picking up Warden or Sentinel instead.

Shaman/Justicar was fairly mediocre in CB1. But could be made better with Druid as 3rd or Warden/Sentinel. Were I to redo my build from CB1, I'd have gone Justicar/Sentinel/Purifier. Basically, heals on hit, a hot, and a shield to protect it. Then again, some people from CB1 went Shaman/Justicar and really liked it. But, that's another beauty of the system. What works for me might not work for someone else, what works for someone else might not work for me.

Extra points for CB3 is going to be great, since again, Shamans get charge at 26. As well as whatever else can increase survivability in the Sent/Ward trees.

I then talk about my On Souls blog entry for a bit and the various counters available, as well as mentioning that I will be leveling a Rogue to 20 in CB3 as a result of Corwynn's challenge to do so. While the 40% hp increase to every mob suggestion was slightly tongue in cheek, it is rooted in truth because I did find things a little too easy on my Battle Cleric, hence the challenge. Hopefully Trion buffs the PvE content regardless, since that thread proved that no one really disagrees that the game is really easy. It's just how far from the mark Rift hits where you get different opinions.

That's about it.

Thank you.
    Merry Christmas.
    Have a bottle on the house.
    Take good care.

Jack.
    Last edited by Slowjack; 12-25-2010 at 05:44 PM.

I am Rinleigh.
    I am Defiance.
    <3

Man, I'm not even gay and I feel aroused by your voice.
    In game characters in beta: Warskel (Mathosian Warrior), Rathu (High Elf Mage), Mairerit (High Elf Cleric), Adrivia (Mathosian Rogue)

Quote Originally Posted by Sponx View Post
    Man, I'm not even gay and I feel aroused by your voice.
    Muahahah, thank you very much.

I think parts of it sound like I'm in a fish bowl, but that's probably due to some of the adjustments I made to compensate for a mediocre mic.

Post vid thought;

Justicar/Purifier/Sentinel...

If Justicars don't have a shield that shares a cd with the Purifier's shield, then that shield would be rather neat on top of their heals on hit, and the Sent/Ward heal or hot.

Other random builds...

Druid/Sentinel/Warden

Hots all over the place, apparently Druid is also DPS, so it could be interesting, and you'd get better pets which could also mean better heals from the pet too.

Druid/Purifier/Warden would give you a shield to cover up all those hot hots...

Combos everywhere.

Fun fun.
    Last edited by Slowjack; 12-25-2010 at 08:27 AM.

I am Rinleigh.
    I am Defiance.
    <3

Rift Disciple

I appreciate all the time you put into your Battle Cleric vid.

Since you write so well (i.e. Warrior write up thread), would you consider summarizing it in print for those of us whose sound cards are not working?

Merry Christmas!

Thx for the info man now i have to roll a battle cleric to check them out

Rift Disciple

You don't sound motivated AT ALL.

I'm actually gonna try out shaman/justicar/sentinel for a battle cleric. Get enough points into justicar to make salvation proc 100% percent of the time, 0 points into sentinel for the insta heal, rest of the points into shaman.

As for my justicar build, most likely going with just enough points into shaman to get the more dmg, the less dmg recieved and the 15% better healing, then most likely sentinel aswell with 0 points, and then the rest of the points into justicar.
    Jazebel - Admin - Revolution gaming recruiting: Recruitment thread - Revolution Gaming
    {} CPU: i7 920 @4.1Ghz {} GFX: Radeon HD 5970 Dirt 2 Edition 2048 MB {} RAM: 6GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator GT {} HDD: Intel SSD X-25M Postville {} MOBO: Asus Rampage II Extreme{} Screen: 27" Samsung Syncmaster P2770 {}

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Jazebel View Post
    I'm actually gonna try out shaman/justicar/sentinel for a battle cleric. Get enough points into justicar to make salvation proc 100% percent of the time, 0 points into sentinel for the insta heal, rest of the points into shaman.

As for my justicar build, most likely going with just enough points into shaman to get the more dmg, the less dmg recieved and the 15% better healing, then most likely sentinel aswell with 0 points, and then the rest of the points into justicar.
    You, having not played a level 50 yet are a genius... Good call on the build and your points are all correct. That build can solo heal a group for expert instances with purple gear! It's awesome.

He doesn't sound motivated?
    its 5:30am and hes putting together a video guide with Music.
    What a tough crowd.
    Me: Zamphir Pet: Panflute
    Bard / Ranger / Rift
    If Bards get faster for every point over 36 (full Bard)

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    You, having not played a level 50 yet are a genius... Good call on the build and your points are all correct. That build can solo heal a group for expert instances with purple gear! It's awesome.
    I've actually been looking a bit into Sentinel, from screenshots from the beta1 event, one of their first tree passive is the following:

Walk in the light 0/5

Increases the crit chance of your life based abilities by 1% (max 5% with 5 points)

Since the justicar's attacks deal life dmg, and their cavalier gives you a conviction everytime you use a life based ability, I'm wondering if that sentinel passive will work with the Justicar skills and give the Justicar 5% more crit.

If that's the case I might actually go a bit deeper into Sentinel with 5 points tbh. Depending on how many skillpoints we get, I might actually go as far as putting 15 points into Sentinel and getting this ability:

Light Effenciency 0/5

Decreases the mana cost of your Life based abilities by 3%.

So let's see with the current soulpoints we have (51 from beta2) I can have a Justicar with the following:

13 Shaman for: more melee dmg, less dmg recieved, 15% better healing. Also a damage shield.

15 Sentinel for: instant heal, more crit with life based abilities, and I'm guessing 15% less mana consumption when using life based abilities, a shield that reduces incoming dmg by 40%, and a res.

So total of 28, still leaving 23 points for justicar. Then my justicar would have the more armor rating buff, more dmg buff, less dmg recieved buff, a self heal, salvation 100% trigger, Reparation, Mein of Honour, Mein of Leadership, and an aoe that hits 5 mobs.

If all that works, that aoe will cost less mana, do more dmg, have a higher chance to crit, and will have salvation and reparation heal for more.

OMG I Want to play.

*****EDIT*****

Sentinel skills have been changed in beta2 and now only affect life based heals, too bad, time to go back to the drawing board.
    Last edited by Jazebel; 12-25-2010 at 05:45 PM.
    Jazebel - Admin - Revolution gaming recruiting: Recruitment thread - Revolution Gaming
    {} CPU: i7 920 @4.1Ghz {} GFX: Radeon HD 5970 Dirt 2 Edition 2048 MB {} RAM: 6GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator GT {} HDD: Intel SSD X-25M Postville {} MOBO: Asus Rampage II Extreme{} Screen: 27" Samsung Syncmaster P2770 {}

Will probably set up a build like this to run a lot of the time in pvp encounters.
    Healer
    Volkermord

Quote Originally Posted by Kakos View Post
    I appreciate all the time you put into your Battle Cleric vid.

Since you write so well (i.e. Warrior write up thread), would you consider summarizing it in print for those of us whose sound cards are not working?

Merry Christmas!
    Done and done.

Merry Christmas to you too.

PS: I generally don't sound "motivated" at all. Ever. Heh, though once you get used to the low tones of my voice, you can then notice the times where I'm actually excited about something. >.>

PPS: Jazebel... that build sounds very interesting. I like the suppositions about crit and reduced mana costs almost all across the board. Very very nice synergy in that build. I honestly didn't know Sentinels got a shield of that kind... that's going to be all kinds of fun at the end game when we can indeed fully build our characters the way you have done.

Very very sweet stuff.

Battle Clerics are only just growing, they are far from being fully explored.

I am Rinleigh.
    I am Defiance.
    <3

Quote Originally Posted by Slowjack View Post
    PPS: Jazebel... that build sounds very interesting. I like the suppositions about crit and reduced mana costs almost all across the board. Very very nice synergy in that build. I honestly didn't know Sentinels got a shield of that kind... that's going to be all kinds of fun at the end game when we can indeed fully build our characters the way you have done.

Very very sweet stuff.

Battle Clerics are only just growing, they are far from being fully explored.
    The sentinel build isn't really valid anymore at this point, as in beta2 they changed the passive from sentinel from life based abilities, to life based heals . But who knows, alot of things can still change. And yeah there is still alot to be explored for battle clerics.

I do think the shield still would a nice option to get, unless it shares a cooldown with the shaman shield.

Ps: I like it there are more people like me who look for these kinda builds.

Rift Disciple

Greetings Slowjack,

Thank you for writing out your analysis on the Battle Cleric on your website: http://aceofgrapes.blogspot.com/.

It is an informative read, and anyone interested in the Cleric archetype should go check it out.

Thx OP . I lot of helpfull guide here .

btw we will need soon a Builder program .

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast