+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Do you have an identity in end game?

Default Do you have an identity in end game?

I am a bit worried as I get higher in level that you role in any given raid could become hazy.

Do dps mages all run Pyro?
    Do dps wars all run 2 Hand?
    Is there one guy who has 3 different Tanking Roles on his Warrior, so no other tanks are needed?

Are "individuals"* a hinderance?

I don't know how I feel about doing end game, and a piece of equipment drops that a quarter (or more) of the raid needs, like say, a 2 Hand weapon that all dps wars will want/need.

*individuals = e.g... Stormcaller/Necromancer/Archon, Paragon/Reaver/Warlord, Cabalist/Sentinel/Justicar

As a reply to "Do dps mages all run Pyro?" I'll copy a post of someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Quru View Post
    So I figured I'd share what I've learned from the alpha server about whats coming our way in 1.1. All builds were tested alone, with buffs available to each spec.

Builds Tested:

Necrolock (link)
    51 Archon (link)
    Pyro/Ele (link)
    SC/Ele (link)
    Chloro/Archon (link)

Results

Necrolock - DPS / Breakdown - 889 sustained. No burst

51 Archon - DPS / Breakdown - 795.8 sustained. Burst over 900.

Pyro/Ele - DPS / Breakdown - 899 sustained. Burst over 1500.

SC/Ele - DPS / Breakdown - 929 sustained. Burst over 1500.

Chloro/Archon - DPS / Breakdown - 550 sustained. No burst.

Observations:

Necrolock did not have 7% magic damage debuff, so its damage is under represented. Probably highest single target spec with raid buffs. However necrolock aoe is weaker than anything with stormcaller, and necrolock brings NOTHING to the raid.

SC/Ele is a mana hog, it is however an aoe beast. You can sustain about ~3 mins before you have to start channeling elements and dps will drop into below 900. Brings raid wide SP buff, which is overwritten by bard buffs.

Another note about SC/Ele. Static Discharge scales amazingly well in a group, especially one with pets (in a raid make sure to be in a specially made 5 pet group), that alone would easily push SC/Ele ahead of everything else.

Conclusion

If you're the only dps mage, go 51 Archon. All the group buffs provided far outweigh the ~100 dps increase from another spec. If there is already a 51 Archon, go necrolock for single target and sc/ele for anything with adds. In a raid setting SC/Ele may outpace necrolock single target as well.
    Last edited by Tikay; 04-03-2011 at 06:30 PM.
    Tikay lvl 50 mage - Fontana lvl 50 rogue

No, I understand there are viable builds for dps. Riftblades, Champions, and Beastermasters... etc...

I'm referring to individualism. Does it exist? (see my examples).

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Toogeloo View Post
    No, I understand there are viable builds for dps. Riftblades, Champions, and Beastermasters... etc...

I'm referring to individualism. Does it exist? (see my examples).
    I think the answer to your question is those who eschew the cookie cutter / fotm builds have an identity.

I'm a Reaver/Paladin/Warlord.

I'm a PvE tank. I have no PvP identiy because Trion doesn't want tanks in PvP.

+ Reply to Thread