+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pigeonhold, Nerfs, and other things.

Default Pigeonhold, Nerfs, and other things.

To be upfront, I play a mage. No I don't go 51 Pyro or Pyro/Lock. I actually play Chloro/Lock for WF and Dungeons, and Necro/Lock when I lvl or just want to raype face. So let the flames come.

My true message is that Rift is suppose to be about having multiple tools as players to take into dungeons. You can have up to 4 roles and each with a different set of skills. People complain about being pigeonholed because they set themselves into a specific set of Souls because they feel like they are BBQWTF-Winsauce. What is so bad about being asked to heal/tank an instance? You are still getting the loot, you are still getting the XP, and you still are getting the experience. I understand that a lot of the time you are "forced" to go as a certain class because some other lazy SOB is not being flexible, but find another group. You set yourself into this mindset that you are being pigeonholed and not allowed to do anything else.

Next is about all these Nerf Calls. Wtf? I know this game seems like it is being poorly driven, but you have to think of how long it has been live. It's not even in its third month! These devolopers ARE listening and attempting to keep this hungry mob of narrow minded gamers satisfied. If you feel a specific soul is OP and you are getting 1-shot, then avoid them while in a WF - then go into the Forums and post a complaint. Call for a sticky so we can have people post legitimate concerns and do yourselves a favor and not flame anyone who wants to contradict what you have to say.

Just remember this game is fun as hell and not RL. If you "feel" completely ignored and tired of "not being heard" then cancel your Sub. Just know you are part of the reason that great MMO's fail with your lack of patience.
    "Removed the obsolete reagent vendor. These were not the items you were looking for." - Trion

Shadowlander

I think in some of these cases, players have a legitimate reason to be asking for nerfs. In the case of Pyros (I'm assuming this is what you are talking about) there are some clearly unbalanced factors, which are obvious even on paper. Very high dmg, very high survivability, immune to cc, no LoS except initial cast start. There are very few classes with the tools to handle GoS. Rogues, who are historically anti-casters, have virtually no course of action but to run away, unless they are a nightblades and chaining their dmg immunities and hoping for the best.

If mages are going to have defensive capabilities allowing them to basically tank in pvp, then their needs to be some drawback. Looking at rogue's defensive maneuver Twilight Shelter, -80% dmg taken/-40% dmg done, 8s ability on 2min CD. While nowhere near the uptime of GoS, it demonstrates a more reasonable take on a defensive ability. I do believe mages need some defensive abilities to prevent them from being steamrolled, but they should have situational usage. Having you stand as a turret removes any skill from pvp and makes playing mage boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarrlett View Post
    To be upfront, I play a mage. No I don't go 51 Pyro or Pyro/Lock. I actually play Chloro/Lock for WF and Dungeons, and Necro/Lock when I lvl or just want to raype face. So let the flames come.

My true message is that Rift is suppose to be about having multiple tools as players to take into dungeons. You can have up to 4 roles and each with a different set of skills. People complain about being pigeonholed because they set themselves into a specific set of Souls because they feel like they are BBQWTF-Winsauce. What is so bad about being asked to heal/tank an instance? You are still getting the loot, you are still getting the XP, and you still are getting the experience. I understand that a lot of the time you are "forced" to go as a certain class because some other lazy SOB is not being flexible, but find another group. You set yourself into this mindset that you are being pigeonholed and not allowed to do anything else.

Next is about all these Nerf Calls. Wtf? I know this game seems like it is being poorly driven, but you have to think of how long it has been live. It's not even in its third month! These devolopers ARE listening and attempting to keep this hungry mob of narrow minded gamers satisfied. If you feel a specific soul is OP and you are getting 1-shot, then avoid them while in a WF - then go into the Forums and post a complaint. Call for a sticky so we can have people post legitimate concerns and do yourselves a favor and not flame anyone who wants to contradict what you have to say.

Just remember this game is fun as hell and not RL. If you "feel" completely ignored and tired of "not being heard" then cancel your Sub. Just know you are part of the reason that great MMO's fail with your lack of patience.
    First of I've never asked for any classes to be nerfed. I as many others did ask that the paragon bug to be fixed. Since beta 6 it was not hence warrior OP outcry leading to 1.1 nerfs - such took away a massive amount of heals, range, among other things.

Pigeon holed is relative to either you dps or tank. Something in between don't do so well. We were supposed to have the options by using various souls. Void Knight is crap, paladin is 20-44% of what they used to, Reaver is 1/3 from before I could go on. Now we're pigeon holed into having to have a single skill from paragon to stay up. Stupid.

As well, the basis of one player killing 10 mobs isnt' a big deal, is it? I do that in every mmo I played. I've seen cleric or mage doing 10 mobs in Rift what's the big deal? A lot of people here must have been playing some dumbass game where everything is cookie-cuttered and all shall walk within the line like a bunch of idiot sheep. Lots of the arguments here about what classes can and cannot are outright stupid.

The classes here all have access to cc/heals/dps/tank/buff and so forth - within certain parameters. We are to be interchangable parts. The game was touted as such and that's what drawn many folks here. Yet many come around with the holy trinity bs.
    The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Complain. Send feedback every time you die in a Titan's Strike or get one-shot by Blast Charge and are waiting to respawn. Complain in the forums. Start threads outside of the Mage forum. Actively discredit Warriors and Rogues who would keep us down. Don't try to be mature or the "good guy" and stay quiet. It never works. Rift Mage Forum Link

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip View Post
    First of I've never asked for any classes to be nerfed. I as many others did ask that the paragon bug to be fixed. Since beta 6 it was not hence warrior OP outcry leading to 1.1 nerfs - such took away a massive amount of heals, range, among other things.

Pigeon holed is relative to either you dps or tank. Something in between don't do so well. We were supposed to have the options by using various souls. Void Knight is crap, paladin is 20-44% of what they used to, Reaver is 1/3 from before I could go on. Now we're pigeon holed into having to have a single skill from paragon to stay up. Stupid.

As well, the basis of one player killing 10 mobs isnt' a big deal, is it? I do that in every mmo I played. I've seen cleric or mage doing 10 mobs in Rift what's the big deal? A lot of people here must have been playing some dumbass game where everything is cookie-cuttered and all shall walk within the line like a bunch of idiot sheep. Lots of the arguments here about what classes can and cannot are outright stupid.

The classes here all have access to cc/heals/dps/tank/buff and so forth - within certain parameters. We are to be interchangable parts. The game was touted as such and that's what drawn many folks here. Yet many come around with the holy trinity bs.
    That's what I mean. Make a post, try to get it stickied, and have logical reasoning behind it. These forums have become a BG in all of their own. There are many things that need to happen for this game to be smooth and going in the right direction. I personally never have attempt to play a war, but again, if there is only one viable soul for tanking, then maybe Trion isn't really holding up their end of the deal, but they also cannot make it to have EVERY War soul be allowed to be great at tanking. Same thing goes with Mages. Atm, Pyro = DPS. I personally feel that Chloros should have a little bit more hurt coming from their spells, but there is a reason they are not.
    "Removed the obsolete reagent vendor. These were not the items you were looking for." - Trion

Rift Disciple

What drew me to Rift was the way souls were set up, so that all classes had a reasonable way to take roles that other games may not allow them to. I don't want to be pigeonholed into 'If you want to be a rogue and do solid DPS, you MUST use this specific build or you're wasting your time'.

The playstyles should vary between souls, not the level of effectiveness. If the developers don't follow up on that idea with balancing and shaping the game to be about skill and knowledge of one's spec instead of 'This spec is the best at x by such a large margin the other options aren't worth having around or using' then I'll unsubscribe and give some other company the opportunity to earn my business.

Rift Disciple

Well I was one of the ones that said that warriors was fine, but that mage needed a buff. Instead what has happened is the nerf bats went swining and really the only mage class that was buffed was pyro by default.

I play cloro/lock for pve and lock/archmage for pvp. And the locks damage is about half of what I can put out in pyro. Yes I have a pyro spec too. Its no fun sitting there going turret, which is why I stopped playing it. All they had to do was to buff the output of some of the other mage classes to make them more in line with damage, but that didn't help.

The stun thing in pvp is really getting out of hand. Everyone has a stun, slow silence. I am sorry, but a warrior should not have an aoe fear. It should be a single target only skill. No one can tell me in what viable situation of pve does a warrior need to aoe fear.

Rogues should not have an ability that makes them immune to attacks...I mean they have enough skills already. And if you are going to give them an immune ability they shouldn't be able to continue attacking with their full skill set.

Pyro's should not have all of the abilities they have. High damage ok, immune to cc...um....I'll go with that...but 30% damage reduction is a bit too much. If they have any defensive points in the pvp tree...it just adds to it, along with the pvp gear.

There a few minor issues with clerics but I think cleric is probably one of the most balanced classes personally.

Quote Originally Posted by azryeal View Post
    Well I was one of the ones that said that warriors was fine, but that mage needed a buff. Instead what has happened is the nerf bats went swining and really the only mage class that was buffed was pyro by default.

I play cloro/lock for pve and lock/archmage for pvp. And the locks damage is about half of what I can put out in pyro. Yes I have a pyro spec too. Its no fun sitting there going turret, which is why I stopped playing it. All they had to do was to buff the output of some of the other mage classes to make them more in line with damage, but that didn't help.

The stun thing in pvp is really getting out of hand. Everyone has a stun, slow silence. I am sorry, but a warrior should not have an aoe fear. It should be a single target only skill. No one can tell me in what viable situation of pve does a warrior need to aoe fear.

Rogues should not have an ability that makes them immune to attacks...I mean they have enough skills already. And if you are going to give them an immune ability they shouldn't be able to continue attacking with their full skill set.

Pyro's should not have all of the abilities they have. High damage ok, immune to cc...um....I'll go with that...but 30% damage reduction is a bit too much. If they have any defensive points in the pvp tree...it just adds to it, along with the pvp gear.

There a few minor issues with clerics but I think cleric is probably one of the most balanced classes personally.
    Agreed to an extent. I feel as though Titan Strike was a bit much, but I do agree with the rest of your post. I feel as though that the base damage increase wasn't much of anything. Yeah I saw my numbers rise a little, but nothing comparative.

+ Reply to Thread