+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Overpowered mages in mmo = the norm

Plane Touched

Default Overpowered mages in mmo = the norm

Wow mages - Always strong throughout wow's entire duration, always have a top pve dps spec and always extremely competitive in PvP

WAR Bright Wizards - Self explanatory

and now Rift's Roflmancers

Seems like mage and overpowered go hand in hand in mmos

Quote Originally Posted by Whompy View Post
    Wow mages - Always strong throughout wow's entire duration, always have a top pve dps spec and always extremely competitive in PvP

I'd like to add Force users in Champions Online to the list.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Banthaz View Post
    I'd like to add Force users in Champions Online to the list.
    haha yeah feel free to add any other mmos with op mages

You talking bout lil ol necromancer or lil ol chloromancer

or you talking bout Lock/Chloro you cant kill me but I do crappy damage spec

wait necromancer (check) chloromancer (check)

wait isnt there another mancer?

Ohh snap Roflmancer ohh i mean bright wizard ohh I mean Pyromancer.

I will toss in a lil known Op mage build Shin Megami tensei Online Rush Mage = Mage with 2 sec stun on a 1 sec cd skill aoe all elemental damage and uses rush so you can stun a entire pvp party indefinitely.
    Last edited by Mainvein; 04-01-2011 at 11:58 AM.

Ascendant

haha yeah feel free to add any other mmos with op mages

L2 Necro was pretty ridiculous during that game's heydey.

I think massive QQing goes with MMOs too...

just sayin.

burned
    Video of best Mage spec in action! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD2LRROpph0

Plane Touched

bah I figured you guys would know im talking about pyro

I'd like to add Aion mages on the list, you can kill yourself on their reflect without them doing anything for 30 sec. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Slicartius View Post
    I'd like to add Aion mages on the list, you can kill yourself on their reflect without them doing anything for 30 sec. LOL
    Nods head

Ether face Fear as far as the eye can see or a class that is so OP there is not even a name for it.

Soulwalker

I have a 36 mage that I stopped playing because they don't do very good DPS endgame. I am now a 50 rogue. My 49 point Ranger spec, with a blue gun from expert IT (28.8 DPS as opposed to 36 or so DPS as the baseline for 50 expert purples), was competing for and often (but not always) beating a Pyromancer in DPS who kept bragging about his damage. He was in full purples except for his weapon -- I was wearing 3 greens and 1 purple.

Yeah, Pyromancers are so overpowered. That, or Rangers, generally considered a joke spec except on dummies, are overpowered. You pick.

Fulminate is too much damage, and the rest of the things that Pyros do are not enough. I think they should nerf Fulminate and buff everything else.
    Last edited by nflftw; 04-01-2011 at 01:43 PM.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by nflftw View Post
    I have a 36 mage that I stopped playing because they don't do very good DPS endgame. I am now a 50 rogue. My 49 point Ranger spec, with a blue gun from expert IT (28.8 DPS as opposed to 36 or so DPS as the baseline for 50 expert purples), was competing for and often (but not always) beating a Pyromancer in DPS who kept bragging about his damage. He was in full purples except for his weapon -- I was wearing 3 greens and 1 purple.

Yeah, Pyromancers are so overpowered. That, or Rangers, generally considered a joke spec except on dummies, are overpowered. You pick.

Fulminate is too much damage, and the rest of the things that Pyros do are not enough. I think they should nerf Fulminate and buff everything else.
    DPS is overrated in PvP, Burst is king. Which is why mages always end up having OP incarnations in games. Scarce resource Pool (mana), lowest armor grades - guarantees they get a roll your face burst option. In this case it came with alot of bene's that make them exceedingly durable in fixed locale contests.

I'd like to add Blizzard sorcs as the ultimate PvE rulers in Diablo 2 with Bone Necros as the ultimate PvP kings.

Champion of Telara

When people complained about Warriors pre-patch, Warriors told them to get a team, use strategy, and learn to play. I wonder why they are not taking their own advice.
    I am a lawyer in real life, but I try to roleplay an honorable character ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Brad1959 View Post
    When people complained about Warriors pre-patch, Warriors told them to get a team, use strategy, and learn to play. I wonder why they are not taking their own advice.
    because like bull ****..( it's hard to swallow)
    FortyFive sigbanners ~Harrow~

Soulwalker

I actually played a mage in WoW from a month after release or so until the first expansion, and for a great portion of that time (before the mage patch) they were extremely underpowered -- almost everything they could do was a joke. They could at best burst as hard as warriors, they had less HP than anybody else in the game by about 20-30% unless they were in really good (epic, which at the time was almost impossible to get) PvP gear, and generally they died in about 2 seconds while barely being able to kill anybody. In PvE the situation was similar -- there were viable PvE DPS specs, but they simply could not hold a candle to rogue or warlock DPS specs.

I also played a mage in this game, as I said, and was often a Pyromancer in Warfronts. While it was fun, it was in no way imbalanced, and I could often do just as well with my Necromancer PvE grinding spec. I have not played my mage since 1.1, and I know that Fulminate is a large part of the "overpowered" idea that a lot of people have, but it wasn't very amazing at that level and I've never had problems with mages on my rogue.

I HAVE had problems with warriors and clerics wiping the floor with me in seconds, though. The "problem" that you and some other people (certainly not everyone) seem to see in every MMO of mages being given tons of burst to make up for being squishy simply doesn't exist -- in fact, it's usually quite the opposite. I hear that Bright Wizards were/are pretty ridiculous in WAR, but I don't know how much I even believe that if it's coming from the same people who are comparing them to Rift's mages who have 1 spell that needs to be adjusted. I just don't see this claim that mages effortlessly wipe the floor with everyone ever being a reality.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast