+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How many classes?

Default How many classes?

How many classes will there be? I've looked at the calling chart on the site, but when you go for an in depth look a class it only shows one secret underneath. So how many?

Official Rift Founding Fan Site Operator Sornin's Avatar

4 callings, with 8 souls per calling. You can eventually slot up to 3 souls in your calling at a time.

8 in each calling?!O.O
    Wow!

Will all be available on release?

Official Rift Founding Fan Site Operator Sornin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arlight1 View Post
    Will all be available on release?
    No one can be certain. I like to think so, but time will tell. WAR launched with 4 careers missing, who knows what will happen here?

I think its a bit up in the air now as to how many classes. They said at E3 there would be 8 starting classes per calling plus more heroic souls per calling. They have backtracked on this a bit since then. I have noticed a lot of conflicting information in the E3 previews. Some of it is from very poor journalism where the writer knows little to nothing about the game. But I think the other part is because the soul/class system is in flux and being developed on the fly. Some articles say 8 classes, some 12, some 16 some 20+, some say they hope to have 30+ starting souls and Weez said 32 Starting souls.

They had said a few months ago that starting souls would be faction restricted now they will not address that issue except to say on rare occasions some Heroic souls may faction restricted. I think its because they realize the more souls the better and they hope for 32+ starting souls + heroic souls. when you think about it 10 souls is not much per Calling. Throw out the solo souls, throw out the specialized souls that don't apply to a particular raid one one could easily be down to 5-6 maybe even 3-4 souls per Calling. They need more choice, complexity and diversity than that. The soul combing system is the games selling point to the masses and it needs to big, complex and fun. My guess is at least 10 souls per calling but probably more like 15 if we want to see actual meaningful choices and diversity between players when choosing our 3 souls. I would guess that the development of more souls will continue long after release.

If I am right that would mean 60 classes and 60 skill trees. While that sounds like a lot it really is not that much. As many of these souls have very specialized roles. For example take a class in a normal game that has 3 skill trees that class could potentially become 3 soul/classes in Rift. Souls could simply be extremely specialized versions of many classes. Not to mention it will be easier to develop souls than classes as there is less need for individual balancing.

But until they give us any kind of firm numbers I think all we can sure of is it will be a lot. At least 8 per calling but likely more as the trend seems to be getting larger.
    Last edited by Zinn; 07-18-2010 at 11:42 AM.

I really like the way you're thinking Zinn, having specific souls into specific spells/moves, however I highly doubt any company would take the time to create so many individual things.

Would be cool to want to be like a pyromancer(fire specific), psionicist(mind specific), plus a warlock(death specific) type of thing, but of course you have more choices then those.
    Fire/Mind/Death Mage would be awesome but still, as previously mentioned no game producer would go through that much trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlight1 View Post
    I really like the way you're thinking Zinn, having specific souls into specific spells/moves, however I highly doubt any company would take the time to create so many individual things.

Would be cool to want to be like a pyromancer(fire specific), psionicist(mind specific), plus a warlock(death specific) type of thing, but of course you have more choices then those.
    Fire/Mind/Death Mage would be awesome but still, as previously mentioned no game producer would go through that much trouble.

The Devs have said many time that many souls will be highly specialized. Some will be for solo play, some specifically for group, some for PvP and some more geared towards, raid, some for specific situations and the heroic souls will be even more specialized than the starter souls. One of the examples they have was a soul that would be good group souls with buffs but which would be very hard to solo with. So yes that does imply the need for a lot of souls to have meaningful choices. Not to mention souls should be much easier to make than normal classes with only one soul tree per soul and less of a need for balancing as souls are often task specific and the 3 soul easy switching system does not require as much balance.

Whether you doubt it or not the Soul system is their main selling point and it appears to be what they are spending a good deal deal of the focus of their development on getting right. Specialized and many souls is a key part of this system.

Oh and I am little late here but welcome to the forums Alright.
    Last edited by Zinn; 07-18-2010 at 01:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zinn View Post
    The Devs have said many time that many souls will be highly specialized. Some will be for solo play, some specifically for group, some for PvP and some more geared towards, raid, some for specific situations and the heroic souls will be even more specialized than the starter souls. One of the examples they have was a soul that would be good group souls with buffs but which would be very hard to solo with. So yes that does imply the need for a lot of souls to have meaningful choices. Not to mention souls should be much easier to make than normal classes with only one soul tree per soul and less of a need for balancing as souls are often task specific and the 3 soul easy switching system does not require as much balance.

Whether you doubt it or not the Soul system is their main selling point and it appears to be what they are spending a good deal deal of the focus of their development on getting right. Specialized and many souls is a key part of this system.
    It's a good system too! I really like how you don't need to add useless spells (like damage) to a buffing / cc class. Hopefully there will be major benefits to maxing those highly specialized souls.

Want a Melee Mage? Support the Theurgist!

Would like to take this opportunity to link the Class List Thread Whenever there is any class news, I update it.
    w w w . F A E L O R . c o m
    Administrator of Rift Seekers | [former] Guild Master of <Primal> | Administrator of Halcyon Affinity
    Rift Podcast | Rift Seekers is currently dormant for various reasons, thank you for understanding | Telerapedia

Quote Originally Posted by Zinn View Post

Oh and I am little late here but welcome to the forums Alright.
    I see your point there, and thanks!

@Hanlo
    I really hope there will be too, and not some useless skills that make the soul a waste of point at end.

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...ded#ig_classes

Has a list of the classes they have so far (some are still pending). Yes there is the classes that aren't shown on the website.
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

+ Reply to Thread