+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why have static classes?

Default Why have static classes?

Here's a thought:

Why not have limited-time classes? For example, at launch have 6 available classes but 1 unique class only available for the first 6 months and then the initial 5 classes with an additional class that hadn't been revealed yet? THe new classes could all be somewhat similar but not completely similar (ie a Druidic-type at release but a shamanic-type the next 6 months). The community would automatically know that the druidic character was a very early adopter, etc.

This could create serious problems for devs, I know, but it would be tons of fun!

Or, alternatively have some character-creation choices that only occur for the first week every other month: facial hair? old characters? races that are supposed to be rare in the gameworld.... the options are unlimited to play with in this regard.

Ouch that would be a devs nightmare I think :P You would end up with a lot of underplayed classes because they could no longer be made, additionally you would still have to support these classes do bug fixes and supply additional content etc. But its interesting I do wonder how many people would actually like this, I mean many of us will pick our class before we get our hands on the game, what if we can't play it when the time comes? It would certainly be a unique system thats for sure, but I am not sure if the masses would consider it as a good system or something they would enjoy.

For character creation it could be pretty good, could prevent a lot of people from looking the same but then again with the morph thing they got planned I do think that everyone will look pretty unique anyway.

Regards,
    Kalbuir

Soulwalker

I'm all for character diversity, but on the same hand I can't really imagine the idea of limited time classes really panning out and working well.

Just have every slot filled with those rare classes and you could make a ton on e-bay, people would try to sell their accounts the moment that class was out of play and it would only encourage it since people who came into the game late don't have that class and maybe wants it so the only way is to buy it from RL-money.

This has to be the worst idea since healthy hotpockets.
    Howdy

Quote Originally Posted by Aleena View Post
    Just have every slot filled with those rare classes and you could make a ton on e-bay, people would try to sell their accounts the moment that class was out of play and it would only encourage it since people who came into the game late don't have that class and maybe wants it so the only way is to buy it from RL-money.
    Ahh hadn't thought of that. I wish people who ebay ingame accounts/items for RL money would die a slow, painful death...

Quote Originally Posted by Chempo View Post
    This has to be the worst idea since healthy hotpockets.
    haha healthy hotpockets...talk about the biggest oxymoroon known to man

#retiredBear #teamBBCs #puffForeverMad

I had no idea what that was so I had to google it and bah now I am hungry...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_pmwN1bSE8_...ot+pockets.jpg

Thank you for that.....

Regards,
    Kalbuir

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Kula View Post
    Here's a thought:

Why not have limited-time classes? For example, at launch have 6 available classes but 1 unique class only available for the first 6 months and then the initial 5 classes with an additional class that hadn't been revealed yet? THe new classes could all be somewhat similar but not completely similar (ie a Druidic-type at release but a shamanic-type the next 6 months). The community would automatically know that the druidic character was a very early adopter, etc.

This could create serious problems for devs, I know, but it would be tons of fun!

Or, alternatively have some character-creation choices that only occur for the first week every other month: facial hair? old characters? races that are supposed to be rare in the gameworld.... the options are unlimited to play with in this regard.
    No offense but this is a horrible idea. Having a title or possibly an item that gives no bonus to gameplay but something visual only would be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Kula View Post
    Here's a thought:

No. Please, for the love of all that is...whatever, no.

Remember we want something new, we want one that makes sense though.

#retiredBear #teamBBCs #puffForeverMad

Doc

interesting, but not practical though.

Although it's quite an... interesting idea, I can't see the point of implementing this when classes will be up to the player anyway on the most fundamental levels. Of course I also can't see the point of having 32 classes when your spells and stuff are dictated by the powers of the souls you absorb - 4 was enough (warrior, mage, cleric, rogue) and diversity would still be easily achieved within the system.

static classes or skill based.
    seems to me they have chosen their path

even though I fully support this game cause I have faith in anyone who could put together the first m&m, I will never let my darkfall subscription lapse. Small company amazing sandbox with some great ideas. "ideas being skill based, no built in targeting, free for all loot and pvp"

Answer: Because.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast