+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Next Warrior Class

Default Next Warrior Class

So in Friday's IRC chat, Abigale said she is playing a Guardian Elementalist/Warlock alongside her husband, who is playing an unannounced Warrior soul.

Wonder what it's going to be? They've said the Reaver will be Defiant only (initially), so perhaps this is a tanking soul for the Guardians? At any rate, she says they will be announcing that class "soon".

Quote Originally Posted by Xilith View Post
    So in Friday's IRC chat, Abigale said she is playing a Guardian Elementalist/Warlock alongside her husband, who is playing an unannounced Warrior soul.

Wonder what it's going to be? They've said the Reaver will be Defiant only (initially), so perhaps this is a tanking soul for the Guardians? At any rate, she says they will be announcing that class "soon".
    So gonna be a paladin.

That's my hunch.

Personally I'd like to see some role-bending souls, but I guess if Warrior already has DPS and tanking as a possibility it's unlikely to see Paladin as an acceptable healing soul.

Official Rift Founding Fan Site Operator Sornin's Avatar

I am fairly sure that a Paladin soul will be available, or at least something that matches it. It could also be called a Crusader, Templar, etc.

However, with so many souls left unrevealed, the particular soul in question could be something different. Thus far, no pure tank has been revealed, so that will happen at some point as well.

You don't consider Reaver pure tank? Almost all known abilities are either bonus threat or defensive.

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...ll=1#post27134

Official Rift Founding Fan Site Operator Sornin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xilith View Post
    You don't consider Reaver pure tank? Almost all known abilities are either bonus threat or defensive.

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...ll=1#post27134
    No more than I would call a Paladin in any other game a pure tank. Take EverQuest II, for example - what class there is considered a pure tank? The Guardian, and maybe the Berserker. All of the fighters can certainly tank, but the brawlers and crusaders are seldom considered pure.

A pure tank is one lacking magical abilities, at least in my books, which the Reaver seems to possess. Other people may subscribe to different opinions, but that seems to be a fairly common definition.

In the end, it is all semantics. My main point is that there are many more souls left, and some crucial areas have not yet been covered. I stand by my claim that a soul will be released that will be quite tanky and physical.

I'm going to have to disagree here; we think of tanks as being tanks without magic because no other game has allowed for it. In other games, tanks are just big armoured beasties who take a lot of damage but aren't particularly good at dishing it out. But there's no rulebook that says tanks absolutely cannot have magic, ever, or can't actually be really devastating in battle on their own.

We want innovation, but we don't want things to change. I find that rather odd; just because another game's paladin wasn't considered the best tank out there doesn't mean that the Paladins of Rift will follow the same path. I think we need to be open a bit more to possibilities. I can't say I didn't fall into the same trap as I was grouped with a monk friend in EQ2 and said "no, we need a tank" and he just laughed - and then kicked an extreme amount of butt. He had no armour on, and just had a staff. That didn't exactly scream "tank" to me, but he was able to do so, with a completely different design from what I was used to, and it worked.

Keep in mind that most of what Rift has shown us so far is primarily Defiant. Champions are traditionally Bahmi, and Reavers I honestly can't see on Guardian side. There's a whole other side of the coin which hasn't been introduced yet, and I have a feeling there will be a lot there to choose from. Maybe there will be a non-magic option, but I don't think this will be considered tankier-than-them. Just a different style of play.

it's going to depend on what roll this class has to fill. A paladin can be a healer and will probably be more a healer in this game, as the sub classes deliver something the others aren't using.

I'm not saying a pure paladin can't get some great defensive abilities that make them perfect tanks, but it's more likely that they will make a paladin have a few heals to help the tank classes heal If they pick the paladin soul. But deep in the tree we will see things like invuln's that will be a big help to them.

Some classes will share common things with eachother and others will just bring something new to the table. Until we get the next announcement (can't wait for it either), it's hard to say if paladin will be a full tank or mostly add healing to the tank classes.

My guess would be a paladin aswell this because it was more or less already a class in HoT I know this doesn't say much since a lot changed but guessing some of the work has been recycled and put towards a new soul.

Regards,
    Kalbuir

The Paladin is a pure tank to me the magic it has is just to help tank more.

Minor heals and defence buffs as well as some flashy attack to help build argo.

FF11 had the Paladin as a pure tank its magic was just to boost its tanking power over the warrior and ninja or dark knight in some case.
    Death is great people are dying to get there.

Death is great it's the cure to Life.

I think by saying pure tank, a lot of people mean one that uses conventional means or one that doesn't rely on magic.
    I can relate to this line of thinking in a way. I would always like at least two options of a non-magic character, these would be a rogue style and a warrior style obviously as a mage and a cleric are based on some form of magic.

I'm quite supportive of creative magical concepts of tanks and rogues like the Nightblade and Reaver from Rift, I think they add depth and flavor to the game. I still believe there needs to be those stereotype non-magical classes as an option though.

Heh. Was thinking of paladin as well, however I think it might be actually some "Pet" class that could possibly be a Tank as well. For example, evil, old Necromancer class. Use some sort of undead abomination as a tank. It has really high defence, as it does not feel pain, and a decent hp pool. And voila! We have a good tanking class!
    I don't need to "Get a life."! I'm a Gamer! I have loads of Lifes! - - - Necromancy - happiness is an army of unstoppable, loyal, killing machines.

I like the ideas behind Dark Templar (aoc) or Dark Avenger (L2), twist and shake that.. but who knows, sure we wont be disapointed!
    Long gone John

Hoping for a monk class, I really miss the Everquest Monk/ Shadow Knight.

probably gonna be something significant for the good side, like paladin

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast