+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 32 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Upcoming Balance changes vs Hot fixes

Rift Team

Default Upcoming Balance changes vs Hot fixes

Hey everyone, I had a couple of random posts I wanted to get out tonight, one of them being on the differences between Hot Fixes and Class Balance patches.

There has been a lot of traffic on the forums questioning why we have been making small changes here and there but havenít yet put out a large patch to deal with XXX or YYY. Ultimately what it comes down to is what we do via Hot Fixes and what we do via balance passes.

Hot fixes, in general encompass easy, low risk items that traditionally target a specific ability or set of abilities that are broken and not functioning as intended, or that we find are being used to trivialize specific pieces of content. Many of these are small systematic changes in response to various events in the game, and can occur on a daily basis.

Balance Passes, are less frequent and instead target larger issues that would result in the adjustment of numerous abilities in a single class, or calling. These are the types of changes that we need to do more thorough testing on both internally and our public test servers. As such these adjustments tend to occur on a longer patch cycle frequently taking a few weeks to find their way up to the live servers.

Now that Iíve cleared that specific point up I want to go into some high level points about the upcoming balance pass that will go live with 1.1
    • We are aware of the concerns about DPS warriors reigning supreme, and weíve tracked the issue down to a couple of talents that have been seriously misbehaving. In order to not swing the pendulum completely in the opposite direction we do need to tweak a variety of other DPS abilities as well.
    • As promised Mages will be seeing a general bump in both survability and DPS, as well as a few additional tweaks that will be helpful in PVP. That being said please donít expect to see a massive boost, Mages definitely needed some love, but at the same time some of that comes from tuning down other calling builds that were too good.
    • Saboteurs will also be getting some tweaks, we want to keep the tic.ticÖticÖ.. BOOM game play that makes the saboteur so interesting and exciting, but there were definitely combinations of talents and abilities that were taking things a bit too far.

While the above covers some of the high level concerns there are numerous other changes in the pipe that we are working on, and hopefully in the next couple of days Sweet and his crew will be able to stop by and fill you in with more info, and possibly full patch notes as well

Thanks!
    -Gersh

Cool, i'll resubscribe when its all in place.
    Ralinblack - Faemist - Onineko - Assassin - LvL 50 - Rank 2
    Ralinsteel - Faemist - Onineko - Warrior - LvL 10 - Fear me!

Shadowlander

More mage survivability AND dps? Woohoo! PvP here I come :P

Shadowlander

I love you.

That is all.

Thank you for your hard work and dedication.

This is honestly all a LOT of people wanted. We just want to hear from you guys and know that we are indeed being heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Lockofdark View Post
    More mage survivability AND dps? Woohoo! PvP here I come :P
    Because Pryomancers, Warlocks, and Chloromancers really need all that extra survivability...
    So much to do, so little time. We must get to work! Zathras! Zathras! Grrr, never around when he is needed!

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by ralinsilver View Post
    Cool, i'll resubscribe when its all in place.
    10char
    LOL

Holy.... so you do have people that actually pay attention to PVP?
    Bye Bye Rift. Say hi to Pyros.

*cough* cleric dps needs some love too, maybe check the parse and give a soul that is more on par with dps souls, maybe something like mien of leadership only with dps. -40% healing -20% armor -30% agro +20% skill damage. Would be kinda nice
    Noktrin - Cleric - <vVv>

Too lazy to make a rift sig. Enjoy my Aion one

Telaran

I know its only 3 balance changes your giving a small look at, but I sure hope you've heard the community about melee rogues being a COMPLETE joke in both pvp and pve.. who am I kidding, complete joke is an understatement.
    Last edited by spankdaddi; 03-22-2011 at 09:35 PM.
    Erazed - 50 rogue.

What I've seen in the 50s PVP bracket is:

Warriors are primarily titan strike spec or void knights
    Rogues are primarily sabs or bards
    Mages are primarily pyro padders
    Clerics are admittedly the only class I've seen played diversely (meaning witnessing multiple specs across many play throughs not just ad nauseum cookie cutters)

Seems like more than just a few souls need some love.

As a 50 mage; standing on that pyro pad and having the 30% chance to stun on AOE cast is just silly. If the stun chance were isolated to single target only that would even things out a bit. Also, as a 50 mage I refuse to sit on a pad as it's limited mobility (love LOS'ing those padders if I don't get stunned too close in range).

90K more prestige until rank 5!... (goes back in my corner)

EDIT: I lied. One unrelated item that's needed is some sort of player vote mechanic or something to remove an AFKer from WFs. Also, healing needs to share the favor gain from DPS. They tend to get low man on the totem pole with overall favor gain which deters people from healing in WFs. Warhammer did it right in their version of BGs accurately rewarding the healers. I know you have some people floating around from the warhammer team. Ask them if they could give any insight because healing needs to be better incented. Running shards in scion also makes you miss out on favor/presitge gain of kills if you are out of range (again detering people from acatually completing the objectives). Maybe adding a small favor boost for handing in a shard will get people fighting over actually running it?.

Just brain thoughts.

Cheers. Enjoying the game thus far. I'll wait to comment on your changes to see how it changes the overall playability of PVP.
    Last edited by Sardoni; 03-22-2011 at 09:41 PM.

<Black Serpent>
    Sardoni
    Guardian - Mage - Lotham PVP

Telaran

if you are going to nerf sab go ahead, but note that DPS specs besides for sab are a complete joke

I hope you know how the community (at least me) appreciate these types of posts. Thank you for the update, I think it does more than you even know to please your customers.

Quote Originally Posted by pajama View Post
    if you are going to nerf sab go ahead, but note that DPS specs besides for sab are a complete joke
    Tell that to the marksman who snipes from his pad in nooks and crannies deadshotting people unexpectedly :P Or the blade dancer spamming lots of attacks on my rear =(

There are other viable options. People just like to see big numbers go boom... not realizing the other specs are lots of little numbers that add up to the same amount =/

<Black Serpent>
    Sardoni
    Guardian - Mage - Lotham PVP

Rift Master

Sticky this in the Calling section imho.

This is pretty much what myself and anyone else with half a brain cell already knew.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 32 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast