+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Psionicist

Default Psionicist

The terms "mind mages" or psionicists has been mentioned briefly in some threads though we don't have a main thread on it. A fairly concise definition of a psionicist.

"A psionicist is a person who uses the power of the mind, or psionics to influence objects, rather than magic. Often colloquially referred to as "mind mages," they draw their powers from the their own conciseness using methods that must be replenished, or can be innate."

The term was first created from the old D&D rule-sets, as mental mages. They could create illusions, warp minds, use telepathy, or move physical/magical matter with their minds. It is inherently different from divine or arcane magic as it uses the energy of the mind, and so those with stronger wills would have a stronger use of this magic.

In correlation to Rift this can work quite well. It has also been mentioned by one of the lore devs that entities from the Plane of Air are mainly controlled by a form of mental power and are thought of as a hivemind.

"Because his closest rival is Crucia, She is the dragon of the Plane of Air.She was also once his mate , and she was the first one who rebelled against eating Telara, and the rest followed. Her power is one that consumes minds, So that her cult, the Storm Legion, is essentially a hive mind. She can't directly control the movement of everyone at once, but once touched, you're never the same, and those who are under her influence for too long eventually become an embodiment of her will."

Perhaps some feedback on if you think a class based on this concept could be implemented, and how.
    Last edited by Paradosi; 07-07-2010 at 08:27 PM.

I'm really expecting such a class in Rift. I like the whole mental mage concept a lot, and almost always play it. I like drawing up abilities for them too, but usually they have minor time abilities, which I was surprised to see in Vanguard.

Want a Melee Mage? Support the Theurgist!

Quote Originally Posted by Hanlo View Post
    I like drawing up abilities for them too, but usually they have minor time abilities, which I was surprised to see in Vanguard.
    Time isn't real. It's nothing more than a cognitive construct.

There's only the ever changing now.

And that's more than just fortune cookie eastern wisdom. Many physicists are starting to consider the possibility that there's no such thing as time. It's all just in our minds......
    Eldran, Destroyer of Worlds! (TM pending)

Quote Originally Posted by Eldran View Post
    Time isn't real. It's nothing more than a cognitive construct.

There's only the ever changing now.

And that's more than just fortune cookie eastern wisdom. Many physicists are starting to consider the possibility that there's no such thing as time. It's all just in our minds......
    Which directly coincides with Psionicists. ;]

I'm thinking of bustin out my folder of game ideas to share my Psionicist / Enchanter ideas. Anyone think I should?

I'm thinking of bustin out my folder of game ideas to share my Psionicist / Enchanter ideas. Anyone think I should?
    why not there is a suggestion forum for a reason right?
    "Few are selected to to gaze into the chasm that gave us our power, most are devoured from within, yet a chosen few have the will to walk away from such discord and torment with the true knowledge of what we serve. Transformed with eyes of pure hatred, of utter disdain, bound to its will, the embodiment of a demon. And I, the greatest of its children, am here to show you true pain..." -Maerawn

Do eeet!

I would seriously like to see a Psionic class, it would be a really great cross-calling soul. Maybe the soul could be located somewhere inside an Air rift or from one of the named bosses from the elemental plane of Air.

Rather than start another thread in suggestions... i'll just tack on to this one if you don't mind. I lost a lot of my papers (among them abilities and specializations for over 15 classes) during my move, but do not fret! Hanlo never forgets..

The Psionicist
    Masters of the mind, an Psionicist could just as soon bolster your mind as steal it for their own. Be careful when dealing with them, you may never truly know if they are who they say they are..

Masteries

Chronology (Chronomancer)

OR

Enchanting (Enchanter) - Within this path lies some of the most skilled Psionicists there ever have been. It is said that they have perfected their art so well, they are able to manipulate time itself. Or is it simply just an illusion?

Example spells

Rewind (Enemy) - Force target to walk backwards, dealing 50 damage every second for 5 seconds.
    Rewind (Friend) - Place a buff on the target which lasts for 5 seconds. At the end of the buff, you rewind your target back in time and heal for half of the damage inflicted during the time.

Transference (Enemy) - Siphons the time around your target, decreasing their attack, movement, and casting speed by 50% for 10 seconds or until you break your focus. Increases your casting speed by 5% for every second spent channeling for 15 seconds.
    Transference (Friend) - Sacrifice your speed for your friendly target, decreasing your casting and movement speed by 50% for 10 seconds or until you break your focus. Increases target's attack, movement, and casting speed by 5% for every second spent channeling for 15 seconds.

Shift - Violently shift the time around you to a halt, dealing 300 damage to every enemy nearby and stopping them in their tracks for 3 seconds. Any spell or attack currently in progress by an afflicted target will also be stopped, but will resume immediately after the effect ends. Siphoned time doesn't go to waste however, any friendly target currently casting a spell will automatically complete it.

Copycat - Creates a copy of the target which will harass the enemy for 10 seconds. If attacked, any damage taken will also go to the cloned target.

Mentalism (Mentalist) - Mentalists use their psionic powers to read their target's mind and plan accordingly. Years of practice has allowed Mentalists to predict their opponents moves, a skill many have underestimated... often to their demise. ((My scholar class idea was heavily based off of the Mentalist but with a twist.))

Example spells

No you won't - Instantly overwhelm your target's mind, interrupting the current spell being cast and causing them to forget, applying a cooldown of 5 seconds to the action. Also disarms the target for 3 seconds.

Typical Reaction (Enemy) - You reach into your target's mind and start poking around, instantly completing the current spell being cast and increasing melee attack speed by 100% for the next attack. By prodding the attack you are able to reflect the spell back to the caster or dealing the damage of the melee attack back at the user by 200%.
    Typical Reaction (Friend) - You reach into your target's mind and start poking around, instantly completing the current spell being cast and increasing melee attack speed by 100% for the next attack. You will also boost their power with your own, increasing the damage of the attack by 30%, but reducing your damage by 25% for 5 seconds.

Prediction of Death - Right here, right now. You predict that the target will die, increasing their damage taken by 25% for 10 seconds. If the target does die, you will be relieved and the next 3 spells you cast will heal you for all damage dealt (10 minute buff). Death doesn't like to be called on a whim however, and if the target doesn't die then he will claim a victim himself... you.

Coercion (Coercer) - There are some Psionicists who don't bother with playing games. Instead of fooling around with illusions or predictions, Coercers prefer to go in and rip apart the target's mind from the inside out.

Example spells

Lobotomy - You tear at the target's mind, dealing 150 damage. Multiple Lobotomies will increase the damage dealt until 5 stacks are reached, in which case the target will go Brain Dead for 30 seconds or until attacked again. Current damage over times on the target will be halted until the effect expires, but new ones will break it.

Warp Mind - Places an effect on the target which deals 30 damage every second for 10 seconds. If the Coercer also casts Warp Mind on another target nearby, he will rip both minds out and give them back in each other's bodies, fearing both for 5 seconds. It also causes them to shriek in pain, healing you for 50% of the damage dealt.

Mind Control - The Coercer takes control of the target's mind. This is a painful process and the target will take 5% of his health in damage every 3 seconds. Target cannot gain health in any way and will follow the Psionicist's every command until death or the effect is broken.

Domination - You dominate the target's mind, inflicting 175 damage and increasing your Intelligence by stealing theirs.

----------

Now of course there would be the regular nukes, dots, mezzes, etc. These are class defining skills.
    Last edited by Hanlo; 07-08-2010 at 05:06 AM.

Pretty epic skill list Hanlo, I'd probably be a mix of the Enchanter/Coercer. Brutal force + subterfuge is a deadly combination. Then again I first role-played a psionicist by playing an Illithid, so I'm more malevolently inclined.

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Mind_flayer

very cool abilities. If I may add a little constructive criticism though.

I personally would refer to the enchanter as a Chronomancer as he seems to be more of a time distorting mage or illusionist.

I know they are just names but the Coercer doesn't seem to do much coercing by the ability examples, they seem more aggressive and would possibly sound better suited to an aggressive name like Telepath.

Chronomancer:
    Time based stuff. Stopping, rewinding and speeding up.

Clairvoyant: Seeing into the future, predictions, prophecies etc.

Metabolist: Mind over body, enhancing natural abilities with the power of the mind, curing yourself of toxins, boosting your strength and agility or haste.

Telepath: The real mind blasting stuff, controlling anothers thoughts and/or actions, causing excruciating pain just by looking
    at your victim. The D&D Illithyd would be a Telepath.

Kineticist: Spoonbender. Kinetic stuff like a Jedi from starwars. pushing, pulling, lifting, throwing objects/mobs, causing things to spontaneously combust by mentally charging molecules and atoms in a creature or object.

Hope this was constructive.

I have always considered Psions and Enchanters to be more or less the same classes, I played a Psionicist in Vanguard (next to my BMG) and an Enchanter in EQ2. I think both are similiar classes with mana regen / management, Crowd Control, some mind powers (pet / charm control).

In my oppinion many enjoy the class because you are a caster but still have a more or less different task then NUKE NUKE NUKE be it Crowd Control or Mana Management both are important roles in PVE (and probably PVP? )

Regards,
    Kalbuir

Just to throw an unusual suggestion into the mix....

Mind magic is usually associated with the aether element. Air has some associations with intellectual thought but it doesn't really encompass the "mind". Other mind aspects get relegated to other elements. But there is no aether element and I don't think it's likely they'd add a seventh at this point.

A case could be made for sticking psionic magic in between life and death, but at their core those two planes are growth and decay. I don't see psionic magic fitting overly well there.

So in the world of Telara where magic is associated with the elemental planes, maybe this would be the one school of magic that isn't....

Allods Online has the class

Quote Originally Posted by Eldran View Post
    Just to throw an unusual suggestion into the mix....

Mind magic is usually associated with the aether element. Air has some associations with intellectual thought but it doesn't really encompass the "mind". Other mind aspects get relegated to other elements. But there is no aether element and I don't think it's likely they'd add a seventh at this point.

A case could be made for sticking psionic magic in between life and death, but at their core those two planes are growth and decay. I don't see psionic magic fitting overly well there.

So in the world of Telara where magic is associated with the elemental planes, maybe this would be the one school of magic that isn't....
    I have never considered psionic ability as a magic. My general breakdown of psionic or psychic ability is purely generated from a persons enlightened mental ability. Whether a person is born with it and can use it from birth or it could lie dormant and manifest itself later in life. Either way, the pop-culture that I grew up on was that magic and psionic were two separate things.

Compared to magic which in pop-culture is generally a persons manipulation of external energy and channeled into magic.

I'm sure there are other sources and maybe you were first introduced to it as mind-magic. Neither of us a wrong as anything is possible in a make believe fantasy. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Elth View Post
    I have never considered psionic ability as a magic. My general breakdown of psionic or psychic ability is purely generated from a persons enlightened mental ability. Whether a person is born with it and can use it from birth or it could lie dormant and manifest itself later in life. Either way, the pop-culture that I grew up on was that magic and psionic were two separate things.

Compared to magic which in pop-culture is generally a persons manipulation of external energy and channeled into magic.

I'm sure there are other sources and maybe you were first introduced to it as mind-magic. Neither of us a wrong as anything is possible in a make believe fantasy. ;)
    Sorry, I kind of wrote that post in short-hand.

What I meant was that in typical elemental magic systems - and this is what Rift uses - psionics would belong to aether.

But there is no aether element in Rift. There is a life element, but rather than being a master element that transcends the four physical elements, it sits on an axis opposite death. So life doesn't seem like it equates to aether.

So what I'm suggesting for Rift is more along the lines of what you're used to - i.e. separating psionics from other forms of magic - but which so far would be something new/different for Rift. Currently the mage info page only refers to elemental magics and the entire game and magic system seems to revolve around the elemental planes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast