+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Class System

Default Class System

So I was in the irc with Ayonyx debating on which class system Rift's most closely resembles. I think it most closely resembles the class system that SW:G had before they mucked it all up with the Combat Revamp and the NGE. He likens it more to WoW's, but the main difference's I see(now I could be way off because I've never played WoW) is as follows:

SW:G - Can choose multiple classes and each class had different branches for different abilities they could take with in each class.

WoW - From what I have gathered each class has three trees to choose from(don't know how these trees work have never seen how they are set up) but only one class.

Rift - Multiple classes with each one being able to spend points in different branches.

So, like I said, I think it most closely resembles the SW:G system pre-NGE and combat upgrade.

I never played SWG so I wouldn't know, but it seems more like an EQ2 approach then a WoW, seeing as you pick an archetype and build your class from there.

Want a Melee Mage? Support the Theurgist!

Now, I have no experience with SW:G but my reference was to both World of Warcraft and Age of Conan. My connection to them was simply that, each calling in Rift will have 8 souls (or something like that) that they have access to. In both World of Warcraft and Age of Conan each class has a three tree split within the class. Each tree is used to specialize in a certain area creating a sort of subclass within each class.

In Rift it would seem that your archtype would define your utility to a certain extent, then you get to pick three souls within that archtype to create your own custom three tree system. I simply associated the system with World of Warcraft and Age of Conan as the distribution of souls seems to be similar to a subclass within those games.

BlogTwitterDev TrackerWikiSurvey
    ◄▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬►

Quote Originally Posted by Hanlo View Post
    I never played SWG so I wouldn't know, but it seems more like an EQ2 approach then a WoW, seeing as you pick an archetype and build your class from there.
    I think it will be really interesting to try this Class system out and see how all the combinations will workout. Like Russ Brown said: "yes you can make a tank with some nukes, yes you can make a rogue with some tanking ability, yes you can make a mage with some healing ability"

If the classes in Rift are unique and each have a different feel to it like we heard the devs say in all the interviews. Then the system does not do it justice to be compared to WoW talent tree's. While SWG Pre Cu was pure skill based I think the mixing and matching multiple points and proffession comes as close as we have seen a system implemented in the past.

Regards,
    Kalbuir

Quote Originally Posted by Hanlo View Post
    Agreed, It mostly copies WoW's cataclysm style except instead of choosing from 8 you get 3.

That root system is a clear copy of what wow is doing by making each talent free full of fun talents, and then when you spend 51pts you get exta modifiers that make you able to do your role.

So what you put talents in is fairly unimportant aside from a few, its meant to effect play styl.e

Which yea WoW originally may have borrowed.

I see it as a mix between WoW's and Champions Online's systems. WoW had the three talent trees which allowed a single class to specialize quite a bit and Champions has a pick-your-spell system allowing you to build whatever kind of character you want. It sort of meets them half-way.

I'm not in touch with what they're changing with talent trees. There's my preface.

I never really saw the roots of the soul trees as extra modifiers. They're more like root/core abilities of the class. The ones that you learn or buy as you level in other games.

Example
    The Rogue archetype gets, say, 4 abilities that are common across all classes within that archetype (Backstab, Facestab, Stealth, Generic Bleed-Effect DoT). If you chose the Rogue calling, you will have these abilities when you start the game.

Spending 1 point in a branch of the Nightblade soul tree gives you 2% more damage when flanking a target. That 1 spent point unlocks the Poison-Coated Blade ability from the Nightblade root system, which allows you to apply poison to your weapons. Regardless of which branch you spent that point in, you get Poison-Coated Blade because it is a root or core Nightblade ability. Regardless of what your starting class was, spending 1 point in the Nightblade soul tree will give you access to Poison-Coated Blade. This would be the equivalent of a Rogue in WoW reaching level 2 and buying the Lolstun ability from a trainer. Just potentially less abilities to have to find spaces on the hotbar for.

It would continue along in that fashion, where you basically end up trading 'levels' between different classes within your calling to find a mix that works for you. A level 16 player who started as a Ranger could change their point allocation and spend 15 points in Ranger for Multi-Shot. They look at the tree and see that they don't unlock another root ability in the Ranger tree until they spend 18 points, so they put their last point in their shiny new NIghtblade soul instead, effectively making them a 15 Ranger/1 Nighbtlade with Multi-Shot and Poison-Coated Blade.
    Last edited by Goremarr; 07-05-2010 at 04:53 PM.

The Unofficial Oldschool Server - Because a kick-*** community doesn't just build itself.
    Also, be sure to visit RiftSeekers so that Faelor doesn't beat me this week.

Soulwalker

Hands down, this system is most similar to the one Shadowbane had. Mainly because of the extensive discipline system. It is my favorite system of all time, because it was one of the most flexible class systems ever, including many skill based games. I made some great builds in that game (love my irekei sundancer, r.i.p.). WoW, and most other modern MMOs pale in comparison. Such a pity the rest of the game never got off the ground however.

Well there you have it,

this game isn't a WoW clone because no one can agree on who they are borrowing it from.

Other than what they said THEY HAVE BEEN DOING ALL ALONG is borrowing the best features from the best games.

the class system resembles SWG more than WOW, only reason people say wow is because of the look. in WoW you couldn't take 3 classes and merge them into one, however you could do that exact thing in swg.

but i think this class system could be better since it will be somewhat easier to balance. since you don't have to worry about tanks taking mage stuff and what not.

in SWG for those that don't know you had 32 classes (both crafting, social and combat) and you had 250 points to make up whatever skills you want from those classes. some classes had pre-reqs (for example you had to go up the Marksman - Rifle tree in order to start training as a Rifleman.) . And the higher you went up in some classes the more points it cost.

http://swg.allakhazam.com/db/charbuild.html

found this for old time sake.

started off as a Medic, Marksman, Artisan, Scout, Brawler (or jedi later) then once you have the prereqs of those you could go on to more of an advance class (Bounty Hunter, Teras Kasi, Rifleman, Pistoleer.) . however you could also take just specific lines from those classes. Maybe i wanted to be a Bounty hunter with better rifle skills, I would go up bounty hunter and then switch over and build up my rifleman tree(if i had enough points)

WTB the above item .... mine broke

Official Rift Founding Fan Site Operator Draegan's Avatar

Well the system is pretty new. I'd say its a combination of WOW's talent trees and DDO's multiclassing.

Daily News for Rift: Planes of Telara| Follow us on Twitter | Rift Junkies Forum
    Laugh at our Webcomic Series
    Read the Patch Notes | Check out our Guides
    Stay Informed: Dev Tracker | Register for our Guild Database
    Rift Junkies is an Official Fansite of Rift: Planes of Telara

It reminds me of the SWG system, but SWG didn't have the standard leveling system to go along with it.

So I would guess it's a mix of SWG and WoW, and maybe some influence from other games.
    Dual Targeting - The Targeting System of the Modern MMO

If the Lord of the Rings movie trilogy was made by today's MMO designers, the first 8 hours would be condensed into 30 minutes, and the last hour would be stretched out over 8.5 hours. It would be all about 'The Ending' and not about 'The Journey'.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyde View Post
    It reminds me of the SWG system, but SWG didn't have the standard leveling system to go along with it.

So I would guess it's a mix of SWG and WoW, and maybe some influence from other games.
    Ye i have to agree, it feels like a good mix between SWG and WOW.

I do not know if you all ever played Everquest 2 in the first three months of the release but this system is more like that, choose an archetype then you could do a quest and venture into your main class. this is just an extension of it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast