+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 41

Thread: Healers...

  1. #1
    Telaran Winwin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    86

    Default Healers...

    So far, the classes so far look like a nice reimagining of some mmo classics... I'd love to see, however, cloth healers... or a real spin on healedy goodness.

    Imagine: Healers that aren't always heavily armed - imagine a white magic user... or even just a standard day-to-day person capable of utilizing empathic powers to heal others.

    I would LOVE to see this mold broken. I get so sick of playing a giant tank of a healer in almost every mmo.

  2. #2
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3

    Default

    It seems that with the soul harvesting system, they may have incorporated a way for you to do many different "jobs" in this mmo no matter what character you are.

  3. #3
    Plane Walker Oabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lousiana
    Posts
    443

    Default

    not really knowign much about the harvestign system but you coudl be a tank/healer dps/tank and stuff liek that with jobs

    Join us in the IRC | The Original Rift Wiki: Telarapedia
    The Rift Pod cast: Rift Pod cast | Rift IRC: Rift IRC

  4. #4
    Telaran Winwin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    86

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oabe View Post
    not really knowign much about the harvestign system but you coudl be a tank/healer dps/tank and stuff liek that with jobs

    That is a mechanic I definitely want to hear more about. Like... can I ACTUALLY be that golden-voiced bard that can heal with her voice? Can I be that character with more empathic/psionic type healing? I *really* want to hear more - it is so open to speculation right now.

  5. #5
    Soulwalker Velara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    England
    Posts
    5

    Default

    I like playing a healer character, but I hate it to be invited to a party just because I AM a healer. like it's the only thing I'm good at. if the enemies are no real threat and the party is well experienced, then being the cloth-wearing healer can be quite boring, standing around most of the time, doing nothing and trying not to get hit by the mobs. so the idea of multiclassing is definitely something worth exploring. I don't want the tank/healer but if anyone likes to play that way: suits me fine. multiclassing will add a lot more diversity to the game experience.

  6. #6
    Ascendant Kalbuir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    2,265

    Default

    I would really really really love to have a lifetap healer one that would utilize his / her damage towards the hitpoints of his / her group. It's a concept usually only applied for 1 or 2 abilities of a certain class (necro, bard) but basing a entire class around with like they did in VG with the Blood Mage started my extreme love towards these type of classes.

    Additionally I hope each healer type has something that makes him or her unique and certain mechanics that make them shine and valiable in their own unique way. Balance ofcourse also is a important aspect between healers

    Regards,
    Kalbuir

  7. #7
    Telaran Haasth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    47

    Default

    On of my biggest hopes for a class is something akin to an Alchemist. It would probably suit the Defiant quite a bit with their 'technology' and 'research' idea.
    An Alchemist that is capable of being a solo hero and taking out enemies with flasks of poison and whatnot but also capable of preforming healing in group encounters. I've always liked natural (like druids) healing a lot more than 'holy' healing. So I'm really hoping for something like that.
    As a matter of fact, I recently started playing more Titan Quest and my character uses exactly what I just mentioned. A spreader of plagues and deadly poisons but also a healer of grave wounds and curer of disease.

  8. #8
    Ascendant Kalbuir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    2,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haasth View Post
    On of my biggest hopes for a class is something akin to an Alchemist. It would probably suit the Defiant quite a bit with their 'technology' and 'research' idea.
    An Alchemist that is capable of being a solo hero and taking out enemies with flasks of poison and whatnot but also capable of preforming healing in group encounters. I've always liked natural (like druids) healing a lot more than 'holy' healing. So I'm really hoping for something like that.
    As a matter of fact, I recently started playing more Titan Quest and my character uses exactly what I just mentioned. A spreader of plagues and deadly poisons but also a healer of grave wounds and curer of disease.
    That reminds me of the alchemist/creator class in Ragnarok it was actually a very interesting class to play, you had very very good heals but everytime you healed you used a crafted component / potion. So healing was limited by the amount you farmed and crafted. I think in most of the new games alchemist is more of a crafting profession but it would be interesting to see it as a combat proffesion also. One could think of throwing certain potions to do dmg, cc, charm, root and such. But also have pets that where created from the formulas and sience a alchemist would know of.

    Regards,
    Kalbuir

  9. #9
    Champion
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    519

    Default

    I think people want to do more as a healer than stand in a corner, face a wall and continue to spam big heal, big heal, fast heal, big heal...

    Ok, when the **** hits the fan you'll probably need to drop back to full healing to keep the group alive but if you can lend other stuff to the group as well as healing to maximise efficiency of the group, that is more fun for everyone playing a healer. Part of the "make the classes fun to play" philosophy. Healers need a fair bit of work to make them fun to play and not just fixated on playing whack a mole with 40 health bars and don't actually feel part of the combat. Give them uniques twists and things to bring to combats beyond their ability to fix health bars.

    As for armour vs no armour, I expect to see a few armoured healers andt a few non armoured to offer people a choice in how to play their classes. I suspect the non armoured healer in pvp might as well have a giant neon arrow floating over their head ;)

  10. #10
    Prophet of Telara Skythe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Candy moutain
    Posts
    1,025

    Default

    One of the things I would LOVE to see with this soul harvesting system is a hybrid group... wouldn't it be cool if there'd be, lets say, a possible group composition which a half of would be switching tanks/dpsers/healers? Tank one goes in. Getting damaged will increase his damage output, which in turn will increase his healing. He is the replaced by tank two, and begins DPSing. Tank two will use his abillity that increases his dodge chance by a high number. Each time he dodges, he will use a combo-attack dealing extra damage. The transition has been time so as the tank's abillity times out the boss goes into phase two dealing AoE damage. Former Tank 1 will now begin healing, Tank three goes in, triggering his abillity that 6% of all damage taken will heal the rest of the group, substantialy helping 'tank 1'.

    Just an overly-specific example, but I think you guys get what I mean :P
    Last edited by Skythe; 04-27-2010 at 05:55 AM.

  11. #11
    Rift Disciple Acany's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Durnkrag View Post
    I suspect the non armoured healer in pvp might as well have a giant neon arrow floating over their head ;)
    Well maybe so, but i suspect there is ways around that when it come to game mechanics. Maybe stealth ability while in combat or something entirely different.

  12. #12
    Official Rift Fan Site Operator Ciovala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,085

    Default

    I just hope we have lots of options for healers (lots of great ideas above), but I really hope they don't try to dumb down healing like was done for Age of Conan. Healing was very boring for me due to all of the AoE 'big' heals and AoE heal over times. That doesn't mean we need to go to some sort of Wack-a-mole system (although quite a few people like that), but at least give players a few options so there are different mechanics available.

    A wiki is only as good as its contributors won't you help?
    The original Rift Wiki - EN DE FR
    [Add a guild] [Add an Item] [Add a Quest]

  13. #13
    Ascendant Kalbuir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    2,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skythe View Post
    One of the things I would LOVE to see with this soul harvesting system is a hybrid group... wouldn't it be cool if there'd be, lets say, a possible group composition which a half of would be switching tanks/dpsers/healers? Tank one goes in. Getting damaged will increase his damage output, which in turn will increase his healing. He is the replaced by tank two, and begins DPSing. Tank two will use his abillity that increases his dodge chance by a high number. Each time he dodges, he will use a combo-attack dealing extra damage. The transition has been time so then, boss goes into phase two dealing AoE damage. Former Tank 1 will now begin healing, Tank three goes in, triggering his abillity that 6% of all damage taken will heal the rest of the group, substantialy helping 'tank 1'.

    Just an overly-specific example, but I think you guys get what I mean :P
    Sounds like a complicated yet unique way of tank class mechanics, seems very interesting to me Having players switch archtypes in the middle of a game session can be dangerous tho for balance. I mean if you make them to powerfull they could be best of a sub archtype, if they are to weak they wouldn't be used. If done well it could be a really unique way to have hybrid archtypes ingame. Additionally it would also take a skilled players to fully understand and utilize the classes potential. In your example of a healing tank, if this tank is able to keep himself healed for say half a minute on a 20 min encounter it could be really nice.

    However if he could do it on a 30 seconds on a 1 minute fight, it would be certainly unbalanced so this results into a tricky situation.

    Regards,
    Kalbuir

  14. #14
    Rift Disciple Ayonyx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Winwin View Post
    So far, the classes so far look like a nice reimagining of some mmo classics... I'd love to see, however, cloth healers... or a real spin on healedy goodness.

    Imagine: Healers that aren't always heavily armed - imagine a white magic user... or even just a standard day-to-day person capable of utilizing empathic powers to heal others.

    I would LOVE to see this mold broken. I get so sick of playing a giant tank of a healer in almost every mmo.
    I'd like it if you'd stop posting in strange fonts / colors / sizes. I also agree however, without all of the classes released, or playing any of them, and having no idea how they fare against each other.. wow speculation is fun.

    BlogTwitterDev TrackerWikiSurvey
    ◄▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬►


  15. #15
    Soulwalker Hotak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ciovala View Post
    I just hope we have lots of options for healers (lots of great ideas above), but I really hope they don't try to dumb down healing like was done for Age of Conan. Healing was very boring for me due to all of the AoE 'big' heals and AoE heal over times. That doesn't mean we need to go to some sort of Wack-a-mole system (although quite a few people like that), but at least give players a few options so there are different mechanics available.
    This is a Quote from Suthainn over on Telera Central, Sounds like the healers will be doing more then just healing.

    "During our rift encounter, we got to see the life and death powers of the Cleric, who was able to destroy his foes with life drains, heavy damage spells, and large amounts of DPS. It's a very survivable class, and one that could easily solo through the world or team up with a group."

    Edit: forgot the 2nd part of the post.

    "The Inquisitor, on the other hand, was a much more selfish class. Inquisitors can steal life and mana from their enemies, using their power to stay alive and occasionally offer heals. But, even the heals are centered around getting to an enemy, creating a class that uses their power to stay alive in battle."
    Last edited by Hotak; 04-27-2010 at 07:57 AM.
    It is difficult to be that shining light when most around you desire only darkness. It is the true healer, the true sage, who remains sage amongst those who are not awake. Take heart, and remain at courage

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts