+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tanking

Plane Touched

Default Tanking

Ok, I've decided to play my second character as (primarily) a tank. I have a cleric guardian-side on Aedraxis, and my tank will be defiant side, I think. My question is.. What class? I want to choose between rogue tank and warrior tank. Is a rogue tank (Riftstalker is it? I guess paired with something to help survivability like bard?) actually as good as a warrior tank? I'm tired of games where a certain class is supposed to be able to "tank" but said tanks are overshadowed by warrior/knight class tanks.

My warrior tank would likely be along the lines of Paladin/VK/Reaver (maybe BM while leveling mixed in), though I'd need to do more rogue research for that tank.

Any (serious/constructive) comments and help appreciated.

Soulwalker

Default versatiliy

Whilst it is possible to tank (very succesfuly) with a rogue or even a cleric, you will not have the same versatility as you get with a warrior. Where a rogue and cleric have only 1 main class with enough mitigation to tank at higher levels, the warrior has multiple classes and combinations that work.

In short, if you want to part time tank, take your pick. If you want to tank with enough versatility for all environments, make it a warrior.

And don't take that as a shot at the other classes. I have a justicar tank and love it. I find I am able to work in most all teams. But thinking end game raids, if you want to alternate between main and support tank roles, and want to be able to switch your roles mid raid to adjust for particular situations to give you the edge, warrior is the only way.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by straywolfebane View Post
    Whilst it is possible to tank (very succesfuly) with a rogue or even a cleric, you will not have the same versatility as you get with a warrior. Where a rogue and cleric have only 1 main class with enough mitigation to tank at higher levels, the warrior has multiple classes and combinations that work.

In short, if you want to part time tank, take your pick. If you want to tank with enough versatility for all environments, make it a warrior.

And don't take that as a shot at the other classes. I have a justicar tank and love it. I find I am able to work in most all teams. But thinking end game raids, if you want to alternate between main and support tank roles, and want to be able to switch your roles mid raid to adjust for particular situations to give you the edge, warrior is the only way.
    Thanks for the response, I kind of figured it would be along those lines.

Rift Disciple

My philosophy on my rogue is that I am a marksman first. If I find myself in a group that can't find a tank, or if I'm soloing in confined spaces that deny me the option to kite, I keep well-practiced at my riftstalker role so I can fall back on that when I need to.

The way I figure it, everybody should have a DPS role and a group support (healing, tanking, CC) role, no matter what they most often prefer to do. Having that group support helps ensure that groups don't stall out for excessive amounts of time in formation, while having a DPS role to switch to when you prefer group support will make you attractive to groups that already have the support role filled.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by bitrot View Post
    My philosophy on my rogue is that I am a marksman first. If I find myself in a group that can't find a tank, or if I'm soloing in confined spaces that deny me the option to kite, I keep well-practiced at my riftstalker role so I can fall back on that when I need to.

The way I figure it, everybody should have a DPS role and a group support (healing, tanking, CC) role, no matter what they most often prefer to do. Having that group support helps ensure that groups don't stall out for excessive amounts of time in formation, while having a DPS role to switch to when you prefer group support will make you attractive to groups that already have the support role filled.
    I don't disagree, but the question was more whether or not I can main-tank with a rogue or if I should just role a Warrior, which it seems warrior is the way to go.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by LimeMuffins View Post
    I don't disagree, but the question was more whether or not I can main-tank with a rogue or if I should just role a Warrior, which it seems warrior is the way to go.
    Yes, rogue tanks are fully viable MTs, up to and including having tanked the big green meanie (the green dragon, final raid boss currently). As for specs, while it is true that you want to go deep into Riftstalker, no matter what your spec is, you are not limited to one and only one spec. Most tanking specs go 51 points into RS, then split the remaining 15 between Bladedancer/Bard or Ranger/Bard, with some going 15 points into Bladedancer or another, then picking a 0-point soul based on situation. Other specs go 20-some points into Bladedancer, Assassin, or even into Saboteur (still 30-40 points into Riftstalker).
    Faeblight - Defiant: Ghaeleah, Eladria, Mala, Danoria, Azshannya
    Estrael - Guardian: Reah, Shilania, Kethrah, Tulania, Azshannya

+ Reply to Thread